Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
Ok, my phone is bent. Three other people agree with me that the upper left side of the phone is slightly bent back at the volume button. This is completely unacceptable, and "well, did you put it in your jeans pocket" is a thoroughly lame attempt to deny a serious design flaw.

Yeah, sure. It just bent.

September 2012.

----------

What if it breaks? Then it will be my fault

It's already your fault.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
Just installed my "Best Skins Ever" and plan on using my Incipio "dual pro" case on an as-needed basis (i.e. when I think I may be in a situation where I'll need a case -- concert, tailgating, etc). Hopefully it doesn't bend in my pocket without a case!!

tensiondeadache

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
Southern California
But you haven't defined normal use. Everyone's idea of normal use is different. Are there any possibilities you could have hit it or done anything accidental to it?

Not sure, but looking at other pictures on the web of bent iPhone 5's, it looks like all the bends are at the same spot (lower volume button) and in the same direction (back). You have to look hard to see it on mine, but once seen its impossible to un-see

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
Guess what! I was making fun of Bendgate.

Then it occurred to me just now that I never checked to see if my iPhone 5 is bent. I have been doing the exact thing that that many people here claimed would bend the phone: carrying it in my pocket.

I have a desk with a perfectly flat glass top, and guess what happened when I put my iPhone 5 on it?

It's NOT bent!

But wait, that's premature. Perhaps I should check again in say 2 or 10 years.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
Guess what! I was making fun of Bendgate.

Then it occurred to me just now that I never checked to see if my iPhone 5 is bent. I have been doing the exact thing that that many people here claimed would bend the phone: carrying it in my pocket.

I have a desk with a perfectly flat glass top, and guess what happened when I put my iPhone 5 on it?

It's NOT bent!

But wait, that's premature. Perhaps I should check again in say 2 or 10 years.

LOL I checked mine on my work desk and it wobbled. Then I realized that the edge of my work desk was raised ever-so-slightly and gradually (can't really even see it with the naked eye)... I'm sure it's like that to prevent pens/pencils from rolling off. In fact that's how I figured out it was the desk, not the phone. I rolled a pen from the back to the front and right at the edge, it stopped. I moved the phone back on the desk and sure enough it didn't wobble when laying flat.

scared me for a minute though lol.

VinegarTasters

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 20, 2007
Oh NO!!! future iPad problems

I just read this in another thread:

iPad 5 Rumours
Said to feature an all new design based around that of the iPad mini and iPhone 5, it is expected that the new iPad 5 will launch with a heavily revised form factor that boasts a flat-backed brushed aluminium finish and will be available in both black and white colour forms.

NO!!! Please someone get Ive or someone to look into the weak aluminum. If Ive ends up using the same weak aluminum in iPad as well then this will be ANOTHER Gate. SOMEONE must be able to tell him what to do, right? I mean what if all iDevices ends up being weak and all future iPhones only as wide as a thumb? Tell me the press is not right. That no one can tell him what to do.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I just read this in another thread:

iPad 5 Rumours
Said to feature an all new design based around that of the iPad mini and iPhone 5, it is expected that the new iPad 5 will launch with a heavily revised form factor that boasts a flat-backed brushed aluminium finish and will be available in both black and white colour forms.

NO!!! Please someone get Ive or someone to look into the weak aluminum. If Ive ends up using the same weak aluminum in iPad as well then this will be ANOTHER Gate. SOMEONE must be able to tell him what to do, right? I mean what if all iDevices ends up being weak and all future iPhones only as wide as a thumb? Tell me the press is not right. That no one can tell him what to do.

Why don't you just wait to see if the iPad mini is having any problems. It's basically made the same way as the iPhone

pjarvi

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2006
Clovis, CA
Bending can happen with older phones too:

BentiPhone.jpg

@10:44 = http://youtu.be/_oZQl8JsPdQ

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
A more proper analogy is sitting in the car and the car bending. Still your fault?

Do you weigh 850 pounds?

Would you blame it on "weak aluminum" if you did and it bent?

Of course you would, because everything is someone else's fault and everything you damage couldn't possibly be because you mistreated it, it has to be defective...

"I swear I didn't damage it! It just broke on it's own! Prove it??? Nah, just take my word on it and give me free stuff!!! Because I say so!"

There IS NO BENDGATE! STUFF BENDS IF YOU APPLY ENOUGH PRESSURE!

This isn't a scandal. This isn't new. This is COMMON SENSE...

:p

luigi408

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2008
My phone is starting to bend too. I usually don't post on stuff like this but its affecting me. I take care of my iPhone like crazy (front and back shield plus a case). I noticed my case (PowerSupport) was coming off on the left side where the volume buttons are. Then I took off the case completely and noticed that my iPhone wasn't straight. If you out it on the table the button side is bend. This sucks. Now it's gonna waste one trade in of my Apple Care Plus. I hope they don't use one cause this wasn't my fault.

Nolander07

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
Has everyone who has a bent phone had a case on it? Maybe they were meant to go caseless, and its not Apple's fault since you put a case on it.

Nolander07

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
Also, what about all the early drop test videos? Why is it that they didn't bend at the volume buttons when dropped and dented, cracked screen, etc.?

luigi408

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2008
What!? The case I have is ok for protection against drops but it doesn't put any pressure against the iPhone at all. I didn't drop or sit on my iPhone. I never put it in my back pocket at all. Still I'll speak to an Apple genius this week to exchange it since I have Apple Care Plus. First time I have ever has a damage phone and I have had every iPhone since iPhone 3G.

VinegarTasters

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 20, 2007
I didn't want to write this... But here is the bummer news...

Do you know why an iPhone 5 with a case ALSO bends? The sad news is that in order for a case to be tight and snuggly with no air gaps, it must wrap the phone and apply pressure on it from all sides. Unfortunately, you can't cover the front glass (because you wouldn't be able to use the touch screen). So all cases usually cover the back and the sides of the iPhone 5 tightly. It needs to be tight because if not, the case will fall off (especially the rubber types).

Now, think about that a moment. Why does the phone bend backwards (the corner and sides) away from the glass side and the bent part is the aluminum near the volume button hole? Why doesn't it bend away (the corner and sides) towards the glass? Because the glass is rigid and will push back, and can withstand bends better. But the thin aluminum back is weak and will bend at the lightest pressure (near volume button). So if you have pressure, the bending away (corners and sides) will go towards the side that is weakest... the aluminum back side. It also doesn't help that all cases pull the iPhone 5's sides towards the back (there is no case cover on the front of the glass applying pressure). The part that will give to the bend first is the volume button hole. The best analogy is if you were to hold the iPad mini sized cardboard with one hand and then you squeeze hard. The cardboard middle will bend away from your hand (just like the iPhone 5 side and corners will bend away from the glass front). Your hand is the iPhone 5 case, the weak cardboard is the iPhone 5.

So everyone that thought you could buy a case to make your iPhone 5 more rigid is actually weakening it by bending it. Of course if you sit on it, doesn't matter what side, it will bend that side first because the glass will return to original shape, but not the aluminum. So it is a tradeoff not getting a case (dropped/scratched iPhone 5) or gettings a case (bent iPhone 5).

I don't know how this can be fixed, besides tempered aluminum of a higher grade.

Last edited:

duneriderltr450

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Oregon

Do you know why an iPhone 5 with a case ALSO bends? The sad news is that in order for a case to be tight and snuggly with no air gaps, it must wrap the phone and apply pressure on it from all sides. Unfortunately, you can't cover the front glass (because you wouldn't be able to use the touch screen). So all cases usually cover the back and the sides of the iPhone 5 tightly. It needs to be tight because if not, the case will fall off (especially the rubber types).

Now, think about that a moment. Why does the phone bend backwards (the corner and sides) away from the glass side and the bent part is the aluminum near the volume button hole? Why doesn't it bend (the corner and sides) towards the glass? Because the glass is rigid, and can withstand bends better. But the thin aluminum back is weak and will bend at the lightest pressure. So if you have pressure, the bending away will go towards the side that is weakest... the aluminum back. It also doesn't help that all cases pull the iPhone 5's sides towards the back (there is no case cover on the front of the glass applying pressure). The part that will give to the bend first is the volume button hole. The best analogy is if you were to hold the iPad mini sized cardboard with one hand and then you squeeze hard. The cardboard will bend away from your hand (just like the iPhone 5 will bend away from the glass front). Your hand is the iPhone 5 case, the weak cardboard is the iPhone 5.

So everyone that thought you could buy a case to make your iPhone 5 more rigid is actually weakening it by bending it. Of course if you sit on it, doesn't matter what side, it will bend that side first because the glass will return to original shape, but not the aluminum.

I don't know how this can be fixed, besides tempered aluminum of a higher grade.

Yawn. I am very rough on my phone. I work construction and have dropped my phone about 5 times so far. Has not bent at all.

Jtludwig

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2012

Now, think about that a moment. Why does the phone bend backwards (the corner and sides) away from the glass side and the bent part is the aluminum near the volume button hole? Why doesn't it bend away (the corner and sides) towards the glass? Because the glass is rigid and will push back, and can withstand bends better. But the thin aluminum back is weak and will bend at the lightest pressure (near volume button). So if you have pressure, the bending away (corners and sides) will go towards the side that is weakest... the aluminum back side. It also doesn't help that all cases pull the iPhone 5's sides towards the back (there is no case cover on the front of the glass applying pressure). The part that will give to the bend first is the volume button hole. The best analogy is if you were to hold the iPad mini sized cardboard with one hand and then you squeeze hard. The cardboard middle will bend away from your hand (just like the iPhone 5 side and corners will bend away from the glass front). Your hand is the iPhone 5 case, the weak cardboard is the iPhone 5.

So everyone that thought you could buy a case to make your iPhone 5 more rigid is actually weakening it by bending it. Of course if you sit on it, doesn't matter what side, it will bend that side first because the glass will return to original shape, but not the aluminum. So it is a tradeoff not getting a case (dropped/scratched iPhone 5) or gettings a case (bent iPhone 5).

I know how it can be fixed...by you not posting this nonsense.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.