Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
So Apple needs to create multiple screen sizes. They did it with the iPad.

PS: Don't say the 4/4S classifies as multiple screen sizes. We all know they're just the old models and are on the way out. They are not still on sale so people can choose a different screen size. They are still on sale because they cater to those who want a cheaper iPhone.

Creating multiple screen sizes may not entirely be the "perfect" solution like it seemed to be. Despite the advent of the iPad mini, there're still people complaining about it being too big, and many of them attacking Apple claim of "holding it comfortably with one hand" theory.

In addition, if Apple was intending on the creation of a so-called "iPhone mini", shouldn't we be seeing some traces/evidence of it by now? People here knew the iPad mini was imminent because there were pictures of it appearing during manufacturing, which was why 7.85" was already 90% confirmed before the keynote.

Let's face it, assuming even if Apple did release a iPhone 5 mini this time with a 4" screen + a iPhone 5 with a 4.5" screen, people will be asking for a 5" iPhone and claiming both the iPhone 5 and the iPhone 5 mini is too small. Furthermore, I don't think Apple will release a two iPhones with a wide difference in screen size, eg. one with 4" and one with 5". The disparity would be too huge and it will look funny and outlandish, not to mention sparking confusion among customers. Just my 2 cents.

Dominicanyor

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2012
Florida
Hey dude sorry to hear that your having such trouble with the iPhone 5. Like a few folks had say before, maybe you just need to be android family again. I have my 4s and it's great for me.

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
to be honest i came from a S3, and i thought the screen size would be drastically worse coming from a S3 to a iPhone 5...and it actually blew my expectations away. i love the 4 inch screen and i find it to be quite spacious and just about perfect in my hand

----------

what do you mean thats what they tell you.... it is true try holding a GS3 with one hand and do things with one hand it is next to impossible unless you have hot dog fingers, or your a NBA player with gigantic hands

Okay do u think if they made it a little wider you couldn't do it?

Keep the height the same but wider...

YES U CAM DO IT,!,!,!,,!,,

ledzeppelin

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2010
Sorry, you fell for marketing. You still use two hands to use the phone. Try reaching for those buttons in the upper right or left corners with one hand.
You know thats what Ive been thinking too...was the aspect ratio changed on the 5.... verses the earlier iPhones or is it the same?
I like this idea, quoted, Keep the height the same but wider...end quote.

Posted this I found on another thread and I need to say this here too,
Apple has decided on 16:9, they're not going back to 4:3. So while it may get larger, it will not change aspect ratio.

Last edited:

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
You know thats what Ive been thinking too...was the aspect ratio changed on the 5.... verses the earlier iPhones or is it the same?
I like this idea, quoted, Keep the height the same but wider...end quote.

Posted this I found on another thread and I need to say this here too,
Apple has decided on 16:9, they're not going back to 4:3. So while it may get larger, it will not change aspect ratio.

Why would you want to go back to the old aspect ratio? 16:9 is so much better and when comparing my iPod touch to my iPhone 5 it looks like the little short fat cousin. Personally I would rather then keep it at 4" since that is the best size but if they do go bigger they will definitely keep it 16:9. Also the SIII is 16:9 and that's the phone that all android users seem to praise so much, but now that the iPhone has that aspect ratio it's bad? You people need to make your mind up already.

esanker

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2012
I use 2 devices, an iPad 2 and Nokia N8. I like the iPad because of the big screen for browsing and for the iOS apps.

The Nokia N8, I like because of the fully offline Nokia Maps for car navigation in many countries except Japan.

I'm planning to get an Android phone because Nokia Maps does not have map support for Japan. I'm going to Japan and Google Maps on Android has full map support including train and bus directions and also for wifi calling to the US.

Jmc323x

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2012
Sorry, you fell for marketing. You still use two hands to use the phone. Try reaching for those buttons in the upper right or left corners with one hand.

I'm 6'0, 130 lbs and I can reach all buttons and parts of the screen with one hand without breaking a sweat.

vaio1990

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2012
ipad mini would be a great addition...so far I haven't gotten bothered by the screen being non-retina

ledzeppelin

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2010
Why would you want to go back to the old aspect ratio? 16:9 is so much better and when comparing my iPod touch to my iPhone 5 it looks like the little short fat cousin. Personally I would rather then keep it at 4" since that is the best size but if they do go bigger they will definitely keep it 16:9. Also the SIII is 16:9 and that's the phone that all android users seem to praise so much, but now that the iPhone has that aspect ratio it's bad? You people need to make your mind up already.
Just a bit of clarification, I do not and never wanted to switch or have bragged about any android phone . I love my iPhone. I am not wanting to be negative about comments and if you thought mine were so sorry. Talking about the, you people comment. You could be exactly right on your thoughts because I haven't used a 5 much, and in fact I hope you are and I'm being so so wrong about being scared of the 16:9 ratio..Huh I didn't know about the SIII comment....interesting.I certainly haven't looked into it enough to be talking about it on here is apparent. ;)

Last edited:

Diiiiips

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2011
yes, and I am larger than average.

Unless you are an NBA player, you are still using two hands many times.

Your hands are obviously not larger than average though. My thumb has no problem reaching the top or the bottom of the phone.

But yeah I agree 4" is too small.

alwaysbboy

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2012
Yesterday I had an opportunity to play with an iPhone 5 and, to be honest, the screen size seemed to be just fine. Also, it was incredibly comfortable to hold in my hands.

Currently I own Samsung's Galaxy S2, however, next week I plan switching to the iPhone 5 even though it's 0.3 inches smaller.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
I think the iPhone 5 was the best compromise way to put a bigger screen in without making the device beastly and unwieldy like the SGS III or other top-end Android phones. I still much prefer the 3.5" screen, but clearly the way we are going is larger screens...

Bruins Fan

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2012
Boston, MA
The problem with android in the US is bloatware. Annoying bloatware. Absolutely mind numbing, RAM wasting, totally useless carrier crap bloatware. None of the android phone manufacturers have the balls to stand up to the carriers to forbid the automatic inclusion of their crapware. Enter Apple, who won't allow it. And guess what, Apple again surpassed Android in the US for the largest share of the market.

Yes! One of the great things I gained going from Android to iPhone 5.

As for screen size, I'm pretty happy. Yeah, my Sensation was larger, but the iPhone retina display is superior and just big enough.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
lol - I want smart phone gloves, the touch sensors never work when i have gloves on.

:-( but i guess i live in miami so i don't wear gloves anyway.

But i digress, i have normal sized hands and i can reach everywhere on my screen as well.

All i have to say is i love the 4" screen and basically whoever doesn't like it can go with android or a windows phone, i really don't care. You have options out there so why complain?

I have the touch screen ones as well but I don't like them as much as normal leather gloves. I just pull my gloves off when I need to use my phone or use my BT headset to answer calls. I live in NY so I use them quite often.

Damolee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
You can hold a GS3 in one hand and shuffle it around to get where you need, no problem. The problems arise when your say, running for a bus and it rings or generally when walking along and need to operate it.

I was constantly worried about dropping it.

The iP5 is a good sized out and about device. GS3 is nice for indoors, especially when your chilling on the sofa browsing sites and what not.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
You can hold a GS3 in one hand and shuffle it around to get where you need, no problem. The problems arise when your say, running for a bus and it rings or generally when walking along and need to operate it.

I was constantly worried about dropping it.

The iP5 is a good sized out and about device. GS3 is nice for indoors, especially when your chilling on the sofa browsing sites and what not.

So everyone should have both. I have the SIII and the iPhone 5 and I planned on using the SIIi just as an at home device. Kind of like an iPod touch but ever since I got my iPhone my SIII has been thrown in a drawer and I haven't used it.

Damolee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
So everyone should have both. I have the SIII and the iPhone 5 and I planned on using the SIIi just as an at home device. Kind of like an iPod touch but ever since I got my iPhone my SIII has been thrown in a drawer and I haven't used it.

I didn't use the S3, so I sold it. But I can appreciate why people like them. It's a great phone, but limiting factors spoil it. I'm not convinced on the battery life for one.

The camera is superb though, burst mode is amazing and for taking shots of moving objects. I prefer most point and click stills of the iP5 though.

It's very hard to justify keeping both and the iP5 is the keeper because I find the apps to be better & overall it's a less hassle experience than Android. I like how iOS handles "multi tasking" and push notifications. It cuts out the bloat that can have your battery behaving great one day and poor the next for no discernible reason.

I've been on Android since I had an iP4 on launch (got broken) and have seen it grow into something great with ICS on to Jelly Bean, but I felt like a change and the iP5 finally solved my grievance of the screen being too small.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
I didn't use the S3, so I sold it. But I can appreciate why people like them. It's a great phone, but limiting factors spoil it. I'm not convinced on the battery life for one.

The camera is superb though, burst mode is amazing and for taking shots of moving objects. I prefer most point and click stills of the iP5 though.

It's very hard to justify keeping both and the iP5 is the keeper because I find the apps to be better & overall it's a less hassle experience than Android. I like how iOS handles "multi tasking" and push notifications. It cuts out the bloat that can have your battery behaving great one day and poor the next for no discernible reason.

I've been on Android since I had an iP4 on launch (got broken) and have seen it grow into something great with ICS on to Jelly Bean, but I felt like a change and the iP5 finally solved my grievance of the screen being too small.

Yes i agree, I had three androids since my iPhone 3GS. I had the LG Optimus M, LG Esteem, and last the SIII. Its a great phone but i don't believe i should have to root my phone to get it running like it should out of the box.

i agree with you over the apps, even though both stores have about the same amount of apps, its the quality of apps that separates them and not having to worry about downloading an app with malware. Also what makes me prefer my iPhone 5 over the SIII is that i have 2 appleTVs in my house, my MBP, i will be getting my wife a MBA for our anniversary in January, Two IPads in the house and a time capsule router. So the ecosystem is much better. I do have a samsung smart TV and tried sending moves from my SIII to the TV and it was very laggy. No where near the level of airplay.

But i admit the SIII is a good phone, i just prefer my iPhone.

Ballis

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2008
Oslo, Norway
Im still not used to how large this screen is and people want bigger? I actually find one handed operation slightly difficult as is.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2010
cant live without these apps.......
- facetime
- imessage
- goodreader
- CBC TV
- puffin
- CNBC RT
- my university school app
- podcast
- passbook
- KTdict Chinese-English
- Viki (Android has it, but so buggy)

Cnbc? Do u trade?

canadianpj

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2008

I can use one hand without any effort.

Sorry.

Try not to make blanket statements. Not everyone has the hand size.

aznguyen316

macrumors 68010
Oct 1, 2008
Tampa, FL

Have you used a Galaxy S3 or any of the larger phones? I do sometimes use two hands for the iPhone but compared to when I had the S3 for a couple months not NEAR as much. It makes a HUGE difference going from an S3 to the iP5. One handed use is how I normally use my iP5 but was NOT the case with the S3 without me fearing I would drop the phone and crack the screen.

I bought into the larger screen hype but then found out I much prefer one handed operation, so I went to a Razr M which is about the size of the iP5 and then finally to the iP5. Very happy where I am now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.