Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

confusedinmo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2012
I've purchased a pre owned iPhone 4s direct from Sprint. I'm looking to use this phone in England, Belgium and Turkey in a couple weeks. I'm going to be over seas for 5 weeks and would rather not have to activate with sprint and pay 2 months of service that I won't be using.

Any methods to unlock it without first activating it so that I can use it with international sims or do I just need to return it?

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Honestly, you picked the wrong phone.

If you want to use a phone worldwide, you should have bought a GSM phone which can be unlocked easily.

A CDMA 4S can be unlocked using a sim interposer, but some/many do not work on iOS6 firmware and those unlocks are sometimes unreliable.

You can use Google/eBay to search for a grey market vendor to unlock a CDMA phone and may find one.

SenseiPhone

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2011
I've purchased a pre owned iPhone 4s direct from Sprint. I'm looking to use this phone in England, Belgium and Turkey in a couple weeks. I'm going to be over seas for 5 weeks and would rather not have to activate with sprint and pay 2 months of service that I won't be using.

Any methods to unlock it without first activating it so that I can use it with international sims or do I just need to return it?

Yes, you can use factory unlock service to unlock the Sprint iPhone without having to activate it with Sprint account. You even need to have it not tied to an active account to unlock it.

LindaFactUnlock

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2012
Ahh..

The factory unlock for sprint iPhone is very pricey, it isn't worth it either considering that the iPhone is CDMA. The server I use to do factory unlocks currently has a "beta" testing to unlock Sprint iPhones. Pretty expensive to do... 130 up just for the factory unlock for the sprint iphone 4s.. :|

steve10O

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2012
I'm pretty sure when the Sprint 4S was released, it came unlocked for international use. They sent out a carrier update a few months later that locked it again, but I'm pretty sure they also issued a statement saying that if you are a customer in good standing, you can just call in and have it unlocked. With that being said, I'm not sure if you are a Sprint customer, but there is no reason that they should deny your request to unlock it if you aren't a customer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.