Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davideotape

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2012
if you like squaretrade on facebook they'll give you 40% off up to $40, but it's off of the regular price. like right now 3 years no deductible for an ipad mini lte is on sale for $130 when its normally 160. if you apply the code its $40 off the 160, so 120, really saves you 10 real world dollars.

i'm not ready to pull the trigger on that just yet but i might. i think you have to go through the "like" stuff by tomrrow but once you do the code is good until 1/2013.

----------

oh and you also have to register your device within 30 days. so really i've got 29 days.

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
Don't forget, Square Trade only covers you for up to the value of your device which means if they have to replace it ONCE you have to buy the insurance again for the replacement. If you take to to Apple for their $250 exchange fee that means you have only <purchase price> minus $250 already spent left for your next "problem." Your $89 only covers the value of the device ONE TIME then it's over. So make sure you don't have more than 1.5 losses over the 3 year "insurance."

D1G1T4L

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2007
Raleigh, NC
If you take to to Apple for their $250 exchange fee that means you have only <purchase price> minus $250 already spent left for your next "problem."

Care to explain this a bit more. Not sure I'm understanding what you are trying to say.

dmunz

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2010
Don't forget, Square Trade only covers you for up to the value of your device which means if they have to replace it ONCE you have to buy the insurance again for the replacement. If you take to to Apple for their $250 exchange fee that means you have only <purchase price> minus $250 already spent left for your next "problem." Your $89 only covers the value of the device ONE TIME then it's over. So make sure you don't have more than 1.5 losses over the 3 year "insurance."

That's if you get a full replacement. I've had two screen replacements on my iPad under the ST coverage (5-year olds can do amazing damage...) Both times they sent me a box and shipping lable and I had the iPad back in days.

Now that they let you take it in to an Apple store it is the bet accidental damage coverage around. That's what you are really buying here. No one expects an Apple product to fail after the second or third year.

FWIW
DLM

lyngo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007

I am not really following what you are saying. Can you break it down for me more?

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
right, technically that is true. within the first 90 days you are covered against accidental loss or theft

however AMEX is known to have such excellent customer service that they will still replace your iPad in the 2nd year even if it was caused by an accident. example - i dropped my iPad and now the speaker doesn't work. i called up AMEX and told them exactly what happened they said not a problem and credited me the amount for a FULL replacement (not a brownbox from apple) within 3 business days.

But...they dont have too.

----------

That's if you get a full replacement. I've had two screen replacements on my iPad under the ST coverage (5-year olds can do amazing damage...) Both times they sent me a box and shipping lable and I had the iPad back in days.

Now that they let you take it in to an Apple store it is the bet accidental damage coverage around. That's what you are really buying here. No one expects an Apple product to fail after the second or third year.

FWIW
DLM

Do they actually fix anything?

If oow is $219 replacement why would apple bother repairing. The screens got to cost more than that. This is the real question...what does apple do? It impacts your ST and Worth coverage.

Seems like worth is the best all around as you get theft protection. It all comes down to how apple actually repairs.

Anyone have a fee schedule?

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Uhh, says no deductible here:

Huh? Under the big red button that says Protect it Now, it says in fine print, '$49 per claim'

AppleCare+ if you have a store near you. In/out in 5min with replacement phone,no deductible if not physically damaged.

And transferable for high ebay resale. Theft? It goes on my homeowner insurance with my other computers. $50/yr for $5,000 coverage. That coverslip 3 iphones and 3 macs.

And I buy the phone with Amex. ;)

Really use AppleCare for no down time

5u3a3a4y.jpg

Last edited:

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
I am not really following what you are saying. Can you break it down for me more?
It means Square Trade only will "pay out" up to the value of the item they have covered then your policy is null and void.

A hypothetical Example: I purchase a refrigerator and bought their policy with 5 years coverage. The refrig cost $700. 12 months in, after the manu warranty is over it needs a new compressor. Compressor cost $700 installed. They pay for it but I am no longer covered by their policy because I have "claimed" the value (what I paid for) of the item purchased and I lose the last 4 years of the 5 year "warranty." You can't collect more than you paid for the covered item, whatever it is. iPad, refrigerator or cd player.

If you "insure" a $350 iPad for 3 years once you lose or "spend" your $350 in repairs/replacements or whatever the policy has zero value.

It's NOT really insurance.

D1G1T4L

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Huh? Under the big red button that says Protect it Now, it says in fine print, '$49 per claim'

AppleCare+ if you have a store near you. In/out in 5min with replacement phone,no deductible if not physically damaged.

And transferable for high ebay resale. Theft? It goes on my homeowner insurance with my other computers. $50/yr for $5,000 coverage. That coverslip 3 iphones and 3 macs.

And I buy the phone with Amex. ;)

Really use AppleCare for no down time

You can do the same thing with Squaretrade. If you sell your iPad you can also cancel the account for a prorated refund.

guitarmandp

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
You people are absolutely crazy. I worked at Best Buy over 10 years and back when I worked there they cared more about selling their service plans than they did about selling their merchandise. The reason is because it was pretty much all profit.

I'm using Best Buy as an example but you can substitute SquareTrade or eBay and the same will hold true.

Best Buy when they sell their service plans, they know exactly when the item is going to likely break, that way they aren't on the hook when you actually do need the service plan.

I bet if you drop your iPad mini or it breaks, you can sell it on eBay and still get 60% of what you paid, and be able to put that money towards a brand new one.

----------

wow $89 for a Square Trade warranty and you have to pay a $49 deductible if something goes wrong on a $329 wifi iPad. What a rip off.

And you are covered for 2 years. I wonder what the value of my iPad mini that I paid $329 will be 23 mnoths from now. I bet it's worth almost as much as the warranty price plus deductible.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
You people are absolutely crazy. I worked at Best Buy over 10 years and back when I worked there they cared more about selling their service plans than they did about selling their merchandise. The reason is because it was pretty much all profit.

I'm using Best Buy as an example but you can substitute SquareTrade or eBay and the same will hold true.

Best Buy when they sell their service plans, they know exactly when the item is going to likely break, that way they aren't on the hook when you actually do need the service plan.

I bet if you drop your iPad mini or it breaks, you can sell it on eBay and still get 60% of what you paid, and be able to put that money towards a brand new one.

----------

wow $89 for a Square Trade warranty and you have to pay a $49 deductible if something goes wrong on a $329 wifi iPad. What a rip off.

And you are covered for 2 years. I wonder what the value of my iPad mini that I paid $329 will be 23 mnoths from now. I bet it's worth almost as much as the warranty price plus deductible.

Not really. This is something you carry almost everyday. More so than a camera and certainly more than a 55" flat screen tv.

40% of a $529 iPad mini leaves you with still $224 to cough up for a new one. AppleCare would only be 99+49 or less than $150. Plus you can break it again. Even 40% of 329 is still $132. If you can get 60% for,a broken iPad mini.

And if the home key just stops working, it costs you nothing for a new one. No down time. Just walk in and get a replacement.

I'm not one to buy service plans from Best Buy ever.. But for an iPhone or mini, it is a level of comfort where the numbers work. Plus if you sell your iPhone a year latter you most likely will make a profit. I have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.