Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andyhutch1947

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
I have an iMac 27 late 2009 and I have always used one large BU drive for Time Machine. I just increased the size of my internal HD to 2TB with three External HDs (Mackintosh HD & Ext 1 & Ext 2 & Ext 3). My 2TB Time Machine BU HD is now too small for a complete backup. Is there a way to use multiple HDs as a BU drive?

Can I do multiple backups with each BU using different external HDs and one BU with Mac HD plus another Ext HD eg BU One =(Mac HD & Ext 1); BU Two =(Ext 2 & Ext 3)?

Any solutions?

Has to be a way with all the data we acquire.

Thanks

Andy

andyhutch1947

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
Time Machine does not span backups over multiple drives. You will need to figure out another solution.

Sorry but I am confused by your post. Are you saying I can not BU multiple drives or, are you saying I can't BU different drives on each BU? In other words I will always have to BU the same set of drives.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Sorry but I am confused by your post. Are you saying I can not BU multiple drives or, are you saying I can't BU different drives on each BU? In other words I will always have to BU the same set of drives.

1. You can backup multiple drives to one drive as long as there is space.

2. You can have multiple (redundant) backup destinations, but they will all be the same.

3. You cannot (and I think this was your core issue) backup for example, 3TB of data to one 1TB and one 2TB drive. It all needs to fit on one destination drive.

Stooby Mcdoobie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
You could use a RAID 0 setup with two drives for Time Machine, but I personally wouldn't. I would just get a 3TB drive to use for Time Machine.

andyhutch1947

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
How do these Internet companies that offer backup services backup such large amounts of data?

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
How do these Internet companies that offer backup services backup such large amounts of data?

They only back up data. If you want to be able to do a full restore with Time Machine, you need a larger drive than the one in your computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.