Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
It's the very reason I am waiting for a worthy Mac Pro replacement (which Tim Cook mentioned in an eMail).

I plan to sell the iMac when the Mac Pro comes out if it's worthy enough.

I need something to edit on for the time being.

2contagious

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2008
UK
I plan to sell the iMac when the Mac Pro comes out if it's worthy enough.

I need something to edit on for the time being.

Same here, got myself a 2012 MBP with AntiGlare screen for the time being (also has slight backlight bleeding). Will sell it as soon as the Mac Pro comes out. I hope it will be a complete redesign. The current Mac Pro design is quite outdated. Regarding backlight bleeding, the Retina Display MacBook Pro is actually pretty impressive... crazy good black levels, haven't seen any backlight bleeding on 3 models I have seen. It's just a shame it's a no go for me due to the Image Retention problems, which Apple seems to be denying rather than fixing...

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
Same here. I hope it will be a complete redesign. The current Mac Pro design is so outdated...

I hope it's smaller (The current one is a giant compared to most tower PCs of today) but still has the same upgradability.

I think the current one is still beautiful, it's just so big.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
That is awful.

I'd return it.

These things vary, but their design has never been great in terms of preventing backlight bleed. Pictures can be a bit misleading relative to perception, so it's possible that photos will never look perfect on any given unit. With that said the OP noticed it during use, and it bothered him. That's why I'd suggest a swap. If something bothers you right away, it will bother you more later.

2contagious

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2008
UK
I hope it's smaller (The current one is a giant compared to most tower PCs of today) but still has the same upgradability.

I think the current one is still beautiful, it's just so big.

I've found that noise is also an issue with the current Mac Pros.. vibrations aren't isolated enough.

About the OP's backlight bleeding: I'd definitely get a new iMac or a refund, it's quite bad (at least judging from the photos)...

Trojans

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2012
I consulted with an expert at Apple, and he said it's definitely a bad unit. The 2012 iMac should NOT have this kind of issue. If anyone who has this issue, I recommend you I get exchanged ASAP

Last edited:

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
Btw, do apple tb displays suffer with this issues (yellow tinting, uneven backlight...) or is this mainly problem od imacs?

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
I consulted with an expert at Apple, and he said it's definitely a bad unit. The 2012 iMac should have this kind of issue. If anyone who has this issue, I recommend you I get exchanged ASAP

Should or shouldn't?

Scrub175

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2012
Port St Lucie FL
If you don't really care about this issue and your doesn't have any other issues, you can just keep it. Otherwise, I urge you to return it.

The poster above you is questioning your use of the word should or shouldn't. You stated the apple expert said the 2012 "should" have this issue. It should have read should not or shouldn't have this issue.

----------

I consulted with an expert at Apple, and he said it's definitely a bad unit. The 2012 iMac should have this kind of issue. If anyone who has this issue, I recommend you I get exchanged ASAP
see underlined

Trojans

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2012
The poster above you is questioning your use of the word should or shouldn't. You stated the apple expert said the 2012 "should" have this issue. It should have read should not or shouldn't have this issue.

----------

see underlined

My typo. It's a shouldn't

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER

----------

see underlined

Actually the poster "above" was questioning the OP's use of the word SHOULD, not SHOULDN'T as the OP didn't use the word SHOULDN'T even though he SHOULD have!

I think it's pretty obvious the word was supposed to be SHOULDN'T. I shouldn't think that anybody was confuzzled re this!

Scrub175

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2012
Port St Lucie FL
Actually the poster "above" was questioning the OP's use of the word SHOULD, not SHOULDN'T as the OP didn't use the word SHOULDN'T even though he SHOULD have!

I think it's pretty obvious the word was supposed to be SHOULDN'T. I shouldn't think that anybody was confuzzled re this!

And I was trying to provide that clarity of what was be confused you clown. That's what I said dip.

----------

My typo. It's a shouldn't

Like I said before it was obvious what you meant and was just trying to bridge that minor communication gap. No offense meant to you op...

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
And I was trying to provide that clarity of what was be confused you clown. That's what I said dip.

----------

Like I said before it was obvious what you meant and was just trying to bridge that minor communication gap. No offense meant to you op...

If it was obvious what he meant, what was being confused?

I'm only messing with ya! Clown is a fair enough comment for this post and my previous. Just a bit of levity.

But what's a "dip"? You mean a dipstick? Now that's a slang term I haven't heard in a long time!

As for the OP's issue. Please keep us informed of your replacement system and how that compares to the one you have now.

Scrub175

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2012
Port St Lucie FL
If it was obvious what he meant, what was being confused?

I'm only messing with ya! Clown is a fair enough comment for this post and my previous. Just a bit of levity.

But what's a "dip"? You mean a dipstick? Now that's a slang term I haven't heard in a long time!

As for the OP's issue. Please keep us informed of your replacement system and how that compares to the one you have now.

Fair enough. You can never get underlying meaning and emotion in typed form. No harm no foul. Yes we are both clowns.

Ademordna

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2012
UK
Weirdly enough, my brain read it as shouldn't the first time around.
Only later, after further comments did I go back and re-read it to spot the typo.
:D

WrrN

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2012
Weirdly enough, my brain read it as shouldn't the first time around.
Only later, after further comments did I go back and re-read it to spot the typo.
:D

Same here. Amazing how our brains work.

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California
Can someone report this to Macrumors admin? I'm new to this forum. And if you can, please also report to Apple directly.

I think people should check their screen first once they receive their iMacs.

What in the world are we going to report to Apple for ????

Use it or return it.

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
How likely is a thing like this to be considered an issue by Apple? Like if I got this on my 27 inch and brought it in, would it definitely warrant a replacement/repair, or is there a chance that Apple would say something idiotic like "uneven lighting and a yellow tinge is normal for LCD screens under certain conditions?"

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
How likely is a thing like this to be considered an issue by Apple? Like if I got this on my 27 inch and brought it in, would it definitely warrant a replacement/repair, or is there a chance that Apple would say something idiotic like "uneven lighting and a yellow tinge is normal for LCD screens under certain conditions?"

I'm afraid of hearing something stupid like this as well...oh backlight bleed is normal etc which it is but not if it's horrendous like the OP's. I'm happy to get the 27" but then hearing this the thought of having to return it sucks.

If they refuse a replacement can't you just say well I'm not happy with it simply refund me? Does it matter if its a BTO, any restocking fees?

jmhart

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2012
I'm afraid of hearing something stupid like this as well...oh backlight bleed is normal etc which it is but not if it's horrendous like the OP's. I'm happy to get the 27" but then hearing this the thought of having to return it sucks.

If they refuse a replacement can't you just say well I'm not happy with it simply refund me? Does it matter if its a BTO, any restocking fees?

Unless things have changed since I last needed an exchange, they will take care of you if you're buying and returning in-store. Everytime I've not been satisfied with a product, even if the 'flaw' I'm noticing is considered normal, I just tell them it may be normal but I'm not satisfied if it's noticeable to me and they swap for a new one--no hassle.

If it's a BTO, certainly there's going to be more hassle involved as they're not going to be able to do the swap for you at a store...

Ademordna

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2012
UK
I thought that you could return within 14 days for any reason whatsoever, like without question? :confused:

Foxfan

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2012
For those with the display issue, was your unit's final assembly done in the USA or in China?

I just bought one in Canada (assembled in China) but haven't yet opened the box yet until I know more about the manufacturing locations.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.