Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

botsmack

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2008
Birmingham, AL, USA
Ever since I downloaded iTunes 11 yesterday it won't upgrade my iOS apps. Clicking on the "Check For Updates" button or pressing CMD+R did nothing — no feedback. In prior versions it would either let me know how many apps had updates or it said there were no updates needed. This doesn't happen anymore.

Then at some point during the day it decided to say there were 5 apps that had updates. Keep in mind, it never actively alerted me to this. A 5 just popped up next to Apps and the update button changed to say "5 Updates Available". Clicking on the button still doesn't do anything.

2012-11-30_11-46-36.png

2012-11-30_11-46-23.png

You could also go to an app that had an update and it would change the text of the button for its download to say "Update". Not in this version. Here's iCab Mobile which has an update, but obviously my iTunes doesn't think so.

2012-11-30_11-47-02.png

2012-11-30_11-47-22.png

2012-11-30_11-47-34.png

I've closed and re-opened iTunes multiple times. I've rebooted the computer. Nothing works. The other issue is that the button that says "Get More Apps" doesn't do anything either.

[Editted to add]
Looks like I'm not the only one now: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4557046?tstart=0

Last edited:

Osullivan1

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2011
London
Go to the Apps section of your library, and click where it says "XX updates available". You'll be presented with a lovely iTunes 8 like page, where you can download all updates or individual ones.

Strange you can't update apps through their store pages though... :/

Hope that helps :)

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
For me, the button worked once after updating to iTunes 11. After that, it seems unresponsive. The "Get More Apps…" button does go to the Store.

Edit: Doh. Experienced as I am, I had a "doh" moment and forgot I hadn't tried restarting iTunes. After relaunching, the button now works and brings up the normal update window.

Edit: 11/2/12
Went to check for updates, and again it was unresponsive (app open overnight). Relaunching iTunes fixes it - but only apparently temporarily.

Last edited:

iynque

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2006
Same problem

I'm having the same problem since updating to iTunes 11 yesterday.

Restarting iTunes/my Mac does not fix it.

Off to Google further... :(

iynque

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2006
Oh, okay iTunes...

...and now it works just fine with no changes.

I'm guessing this is just a problem connecting to Apple's servers.

To anyone who ends up here in the future, just try again another time. If it doesn't work after a day or two you'll have to figure something else out :p

MattProductions

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2012
I guess I found a solution/fix.

1) Restart iTunes
2) Disconnect your iDevice and try updating then.

It worked for me, so try it out!

dmmaus

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2012
Sydney, Australia
I've been having this problem for about a week now. The number of apps that iTunes 11 tells me needs updating just keeps growing. No matter what I do, restarting iTunes, rebooting, plugging and unplugging my iPad: when I try to download an update, it says it's downloading, then processing the file as usual, but then the updated version just doesn't appear. Apps which change icons with update (e.g. Smurf's Village) don't change to the new icon, and iTunes still says I have updates to download.

Getting very frustrated - I haven't been able to update any apps for a week!

EDIT: More info: When I use "Check for available downloads..." from the menu, it tells me I have no updates available. But when I go to the Library|Apps pane, the button at the bottom tells me I have all these updates available, and clicking that takes me to the page where I try in vain to download the updates. The "Get more apps" button takes me to the app store as expected.

As far as I can tell, downloading the updates actually downloads the updates, iTunes just doesn't replace the old versions with the newly downloaded versions.

EDIT2: Argh! Mea culpa. I neglected one small detail...

I migrated from Windows to a new iMac recently. I thought I'd done a successful app update since, but looking at the evidence now, I guess I mustn't have. It turns out the problem was my iTunes Media/Mobile Applications folder wasn't set with write permission for me! I changed the folder permission, and it's working fine now. That's an odd thing to have happen when migrating data from a Windows PC (using Apple's Migration Assistant)... I've found a few other folders had weird permissions on them too.

Well, maybe this will help someone else in the same situation!

Last edited:

sagecelt

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2012
Well, I've tried closing, disconnecting, restarting, re-connecting and the problem remains.

The Apps page in the Library says 5 updates are available but when I click on the button it goes to the next page where it says "No Updates Available"!

Ridiculous! What the hell is wrong with the current version of iTunes?

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
Same problem here after going from iTunes 11.0.1 to 11.0.2 .. Under 11.0.1 there was no issue. With 11.0.2 the "check for updates" button does nothing. Sometimes restarting iTunes resolves the problem.

Reen

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2013
same problem here.. have done all the rebooting etc over and over but still nothing. very agravating:mad:

Zeldain

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2011
Sorry for the necro, but having the same problem... latest version of iTunes and iOS, the option to Update no longer exists... only Get More Apps.

Quitting iTunes doesn't work. Grrr.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.