Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

belarocks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2010
We’ve handed down a 2008 MBP 17” to my 12-year-old son. We will be setting up at his desk in a “desktop” configuration (added keyboard, mouse, and display). We already have the keyboard and mouse and would like to get a recommendation for the display. It has been 10+ years since I've bought anything other than a mac laptop or iMac - so I'm not really up-to-speed on non-integrated displays. The apple displays are overkill for him. I was thinking about something in the 21” to 24” range that can take advantage of the higher resolution capability of the MBP 17”. Thanks for your help

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
the dell monitors with ips are really good monitors. I want to stress though that most dell monitors have an antiglare coating on them and this is bothersome to some (not all) people.

thundermuppet

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2010
NL
Yep, Dell here too. But.. I have the U2410 and while it is a fantastic display for a (semi-)professional, it may be a bit overkill for your son. I would go for U2412 or even U2312.

It all depends in what price range your looking for and what your sons activities.

For gaming a TN-panel is great because of the reaction-times.
For graphics a IPS or PVA are great screens.

To help one choose, I often used:
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/selector.htm

Great site.

Good luck!

Last edited:

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Google "photography monitors". You will find links to several sets of review and recommendations. While you will see the very expensive NEC and Eizo monitors listed, you will also see many affordable monitors in the 24-27 range. Note if there is to be lots of gaming or fast video, response time may be more important than image quality. For photo editing image quality rules...not response time.

Also check the monitor section at http://www.newegg.com. Good place to read reviews and compare prices.

nottooshabby

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
costco.com had a good price on the dell U2412, $295. I have been debating myself between the 2410 and 2412. These are both nice because they are 16x10, so you get a 1200 pixel tall display instead of 1080 that a lot of displays are these days. It's a shame apple doesn't still over a 24" display. $900 for a 27" thunderbolt display is too pricey and it's not even height adjustable.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Remember the ATD is more than an IPS screen. It has integrated camera, speakers, Ethernet, thunderbolt hub, USB 2 hub, And FW port. To get something comparable, you would need to add a Belkin thunderbolt dock $400 to the cost of a 27" IPS monitor. The Belkin docks should be released in early 2013.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.