Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Hmmm let me look for one called "virus". Oh wait which developer would be stupid enough to make an app called virus instead of just put one in it. If you like i can link you 10 articles about virus' in apps on the play store. Furthermore http://ziklagsystems.wordpress.com/...bad-android-apps-downloaded-from-google-play/

Seriously the quality of apps is absolute rubbish on the play store. Probably only half of them are at the same quality of IOS apps.

Eh....not a big deal. Yeah there are Apps that put ad icons on your phone and thats annoying but there is 6 in that article that said are bad.

Androids 4.2 software has a built in virus and malware detection built in it and they are catching the things you linked. Not like iTunes hasnt had any issues.

IMO what you posted isnt anything to speak of. You said it was loaded with viruses. It isnt. If you pay attention to what is said about the apps in there, you shouldnt have an issue. Unfortunately, most people are too lazy to read a small paragraph.

kiltedthrower

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2012
Hmmm let me look for one called "virus". Oh wait which developer would be stupid enough to make an app called virus instead of just put one in it. If you like i can link you 10 articles about virus' in apps on the play store. Furthermore http://ziklagsystems.wordpress.com/...bad-android-apps-downloaded-from-google-play/

Seriously the quality of apps is absolute rubbish on the play store. Probably only half of them are at the same quality of IOS apps.

Are you making a blanket statement based on a couple articles and listening to what others are saying or have you actually spent time with both operating systems to come to this conclusion?

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
Are you making a blanket statement based on a couple articles and listening to what others are saying or have you actually spent time with both operating systems to come to this conclusion?

I can almost guarantee you that he Googled something like "Android apps virus", found some random link and without even reading it, posted it here.

Last edited:

Random 995K

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012

Why shouldn't i trust the 10+ articles i see uploaded by bloggers/testers every month. I really can't be bothered getting my own android device when i am happy with my iphone. I have used my friends S3 but have not looked at the google play store on it.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
!!!
Wow, that's as many as my Mac Pro has. Even on Mac OS X, I rarely use all 8 cores effectively, only for really big multithreading apps or if I'm running a VM and other big apps at the same time. I can't think of anything a smartphone could use 8 or even 3 cores on.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

My point was it should be very easy to find an app with malware if the play store is riddled with malware. There are more virus's on a PC then Android yet somehow I've never got one. Which is annoying BTW because I hate virus scanners, seem to slow down everything...

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Hmmm let me look for one called "virus". Oh wait which developer would be stupid enough to make an app called virus instead of just put one in it. If you like i can link you 10 articles about virus' in apps on the play store. Furthermore

There are the same amount of virii in Android than in iOS, zero

Random 995K

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012
I bet you that you won't find any VIRUS for Android. What do you want to bet?

As i just said earlier, developers or should i say 5 year old's who make apps for google play are not going to make it obvious they are viruses. The fact that their are more than 100 antivirus apps in the google play homepage proves my point. Also there are many articles about it. Google play apps are lower quality and can contain viruses. I said i said earlier do some research. Its only a small percentage of them but still ridiculous. They also get pulled down once found.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
As i just said earlier, developers or should i say 5 year old's who make apps for google play are not going to make it obvious they are viruses. The fact that their are more than 100 antivirus apps in the google play homepage proves my point. Also there are many articles about it. Google play apps are lower quality and can contain viruses. I said i said earlier do some research. Its only a small percentage of them but still ridiculous. They also get pulled down once found.

Still waiting just ONE virus for Android. Still waiting an article about VIRUS for Android (did you see the capital letters? They are a clue)

The fact that there are antivirus for Android doesn´t prove anything. OS X also has anti virus apps and it doesn´t have virii.

Perhaps the one that has to research is you.

Ayemerica

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Atlantis but in space
Trojan!SMSZombie.A is not a virus

See the problem?

Anything malicious or harmful is a virus if you want to split hairs you can.

I own a N7 and a kindle fire HD rooted to JB. I have never had any problems but to say an OS on the rise just like windows was and it doesn't have a targeted threat is crazy. Especially in the realm of cheap android devices that are flying off the shelves. Market share + openness of android = the ability to manipulate and infect android devices easier than iOS

Random 995K

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012
Anything malicious or harmful is a virus if you want to split hairs you can.

I own a N7 and a kindle fire HD rooted to JB. I have never had any problems but to say an OS on the rise just like windows was and it doesn't have a targeted threat is crazy. Especially in the realm of cheap android devices that are flying off the shelves. Market share + openness of android = the ability to manipulate and infect android devices easier than iOS

This, stop being ignorant oletros

----------

http://www.cellular-news.com/story/55931.php

Text only article for people with data limits

Manipulation and false apps are very popular on android. Google takes a reactive approach so they can slip through

And read this Oletros.

----------

No, anything malicious or harmful is malware. A virus is malware that CAN replicate itself and there is no virii for mobile phones.

Lol, i think you need to lean some definitions as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_virus

----------

No, anything malicious or harmful is malware. A virus is malware that CAN replicate itself and there is no virii for mobile phones.

Also, "In August 2010, Kaspersky Lab reported the first malicious program named Trojan-SMS.AndroidOS.FakePlayer.a classified as a Trojan-SMS has been detected for smartphones running on Google’s Android operating system. It has already infected a number of mobile devices.[2] It sends SMS messages to premium rate numbers without the owner’s knowledge or consent which can rake up huge bills. For a security concern, Android users are advised to download from a trusted source." From wikipedia

Seriously give up.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar

Seriously give up.

From the first paragraph of your Wikipedia link

A computer virus is a computer program that can replicate itself[1] and spread from one computer to another. The term "virus" is also commonly, but erroneously, used to refer to other types of malware, including but not limited to adware and spyware programs that do not have a reproductive ability.

At least, if you don't want to look more ignorant you have to read the links you post.

Well, another case is that both of you were trolling.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
This, stop being ignorant oletros

----------

And read this Oletros.

----------

----------

Also, "In August 2010, Kaspersky Lab reported the first malicious program named Trojan-SMS.AndroidOS.FakePlayer.a classified as a Trojan-SMS has been detected for smartphones running on Google’s Android operating system. It has already infected a number of mobile devices.[2] It sends SMS messages to premium rate numbers without the owner’s knowledge or consent which can rake up huge bills. For a security concern, Android users are advised to download from a trusted source." From wikipedia

Seriously give up.

He said a virus is malware that can replicate itself. You said he should learn the definition of a virus and post a link that says,

"A computer virus is a computer program that can replicate itself"

"Malware includes computer viruses"

Isn't that precisely what he said? Maybe I'm missing a point or something. But to the best of my knowledge there isn't malware that can replicate itself on Android thus no virus. All those anti virus apps are anti malware looking for know malicious software (malware).

Comparing the amount of anti virus apps on Android is not fair. Apple does not allow anti virus software on the App Store. If you jailbreak you can get anti virus software from cydia for the iPhone.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/adriankingsleyhughes/2012/07/06/first-ios-malware-hits-app-store/

It's funny Forbes calls that the "first". Because Charlie Miller did it quite a while before hand. However he was supposedly just testing from a security pov.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb/2011/11/08/apple-charlie-miller-security-flaw_n_1082497.html

And you'd be crazy to believe that is the only two instances of malware in the App Store.

The funny thing about both is they just need to slip passed apple then we have absolutely no defense since apple doesn't allow anti virus.

EDIT : what does this have to do with CPU cores? Lol we are WAY off topic.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Mine is in its 15 minute run of that stability test and the CPU is at 1242 MHz and the temperature is 37.5C

Perhaps it is a faulty phone.

u4y2u7up.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.