Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
I was surprised they had any but they had a few 32gb Black Models in Stock, I picked one up and I love it, the weight and size are fantastic, true one handed pad holding without fatigue, I can't go back to a larger Ipad now, I sold my 3g. The screen is very nice, and very readable, the people making these extreme accusations of eyes bleeding are crazy. Vids look fantastic especially my 720p stuff. I loaded a bunch of Comics up in comic Zeal and this is the perfect size for Comic Viewing. Books are fine in Ibooks as well.

Overall I'm very happy with the mini, I have a plastic shell on it and I put it in a Padded Sleeve which seems to work out better than using a heavier case.

When retina finally does get released I'll get a 64gb and a 4g model, but until then I'll be loving my mini.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
I was surprised they had any but they had a few 32gb Black Models in Stock, I picked one up and I love it, the weight and size are fantastic, true one handed pad holding without fatigue, I can't go back to a larger Ipad now, I sold my 3g. The screen is very nice, and very readable, the people making these extreme accusations of eyes bleeding are crazy. Vids look fantastic especially my 720p stuff. I loaded a bunch of Comics up in comic Zeal and this is the perfect size for Comic Viewing. Books are fine in Ibooks as well.

Overall I'm very happy with the mini, I have a plastic shell on it and I put it in a Padded Sleeve which seems to work out better than using a heavier case.

When retina finally does get released I'll get a 64gb and a 4g model, but until then I'll be loving my mini.

I wish I was among one of those who didn't have a problem with the screen. Having good vision sometimes sucks..

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
I was able to get one from Bestbuy on launch day, and my mom got hers on Black Friday. I rechecked all my local Bestbuys on Tuesday and none had a Mini in stock - not even an open box. I noticed one store was missing their Mini on display. When I asked, the guy said someone tried to run out the store with it. Crazy.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
They are starting to show up at Best Buy. Just keep checking folks if you want one.

they've had them since launch...not a ton. usually everything except 16gb. they don't put them in the regular spot with other ipad's. usually put in the cage up top and have to use the ladder to get them.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I walked in on launch day and walked out with exactly what I wanted. I sense that Best Buy gets a good stock and often has availability - may not have the model you want - on launch day they had no white ones as most other places didn't.

propita

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2011
No problem getting a mini

As I posted elsewhere, I got my mini last night. Yesterday, I called the local Apple store and asked if they had any black 32G minis in stock. We went last night and got it. There were easily a dozen sitting there, plus the other sizes/color. Not sure why plenty are here, but I'm happy about.

davideotape

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2012
I returned my sprint device at an apple store and all they had were sprint devices and wifi. I felt kinda bad for sprint.

I went about 4 miles to a Verizon store and picked one up though. They had plenty.

AlvinNguyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
They deserved it for how craptastic their service is. Their ipad data plan is also high as a kite. So glad we left them 6 months ago and went to Verizon even if it costed us a bunch of money.

Don't feel bad.

I returned my sprint device at an apple store and all they had were sprint devices and wifi. I felt kinda bad for sprint.

I went about 4 miles to a Verizon store and picked one up though. They had plenty.

MikeTHIS

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2012
Not intending to hijack this thread but download the app Milo or use their website http://www.milo.com - I had a mini on order through apple, but diligently checked local stock and scored one at a RadioShack.

Good luck! :)

davideotape

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2012
They deserved it for how craptastic their service is. Their ipad data plan is also high as a kite. So glad we left them 6 months ago and went to Verizon even if it costed us a bunch of money.

Don't feel bad.

I think their phone service is fine in my area. Never drop a call, I get service where friends on AT&T can't.. They're just not equipped for data at all and their pricing structure, normally their strength (the main reason I have them is they're the cheapest) for a data plan is what I can only generously describe as "forward-looking".

Like if they get their act together their prices will be reasonable- but it also worries me that they might get their act together and then be like "ok, we're adequate now, time to raise prices!"

Maverick713

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2009
Houston, TX
I wish I was among one of those who didn't have a problem with the screen. Having good vision sometimes sucks..

I have 20/20 vision and it seems just fine to me, and last night I lost internet connectivity so I had to rely on it to get to my onlineclass to do my postings and what not,and I had no issue, so I dunno what you are talking about.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
I know it's a cute little form factor and cheaper to boot but some of you are hilarious in defending this screen. You must be the same ones who couldn't tell the difference between older and retina ipads. Or even the iphones.

"duh..i don't know what you're talking about..I have no problems with the screen" LOL

----------

Does having OCD kind of suck too or is it something you eventually get used to?

That's what it is. OCD. Man, you're a genius. It couldn't really be that all those reviewers are wrong who complain that it's a subpar screen. It couldn't really be that the screen really does look like crap compared to todays screens.

It makes a good gift for people who don't know any better. And there's a lot of them out there..

D1G1T4L

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2007
Raleigh, NC
I know it's a cute little form factor and cheaper to boot but some of you are hilarious in defending this screen. You must be the same ones who couldn't tell the difference between older and retina ipads. Or even the iphones.

"duh..i don't know what you're talking about..I have no problems with the screen" LOL

----------

That's what it is. OCD. Man, you're a genius. It couldn't really be that all those reviewers are wrong who complain that it's a subpar screen. It couldn't really be that the screen really does look like crap compared to todays screens.

It makes a good gift for people who don't know any better. And there's a lot of them out there..

Same goes for people who think the screen is unusable. Yes the retina screen is better. I don't think anyone would say different but for the screen on the mini is fine. It will be the perfect device for me with a retina screen but for what it has now I'm very happy with it.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011

----------

Have you used it, or did you just glance at one in a retail store? I have one and enjoy the screen. And yes, I can tell the difference between older and retina iPads and also between older LCDs and newer ones as well. The thing is, not everything has to be "retina" quality for it to be an awesome device. It's smaller, thinner, less expensive, same screen resolution, faster WiFi, and better battery life than the iPad 2. All that to me = awesome.

And yes, it's not retina, but it is better than the iPad 2(I have owned both and am comfortable making this claim). So I don't think that calling people idiots for defending the screen is appropriate since the people that have one and use it daily have no doubt that it is not retina but also know that it's not crap either.

EMAN19

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
New York, NY
Nice post, OP. I'm glad you found one at Best Buy and are enjoying it.

I'm loving my iPad mini as well. It's a hell of a device, and I think that the screen is pretty damned good too. Retina display is amazing, and I will love it even more when it's made available on the iPad mini 2. But for now, I'm 100% content with the screen and have no qualms about it.

To the people crying about the iPad mini screen -- don't use iPad mini! Go use iPad 3 or 4 and be happy!

CandyNJ66

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2009
USA
Have you used it, or did you just glance at one in a retail store? I have one and enjoy the screen. And yes, I can tell the difference between older and retina iPads and also between older LCDs and newer ones as well. The thing is, not everything has to be "retina" quality for it to be an awesome device. It's smaller, thinner, less expensive, same screen resolution, faster WiFi, and better battery life than the iPad 2. All that to me = awesome.

And yes, it's not retina, but it is better than the iPad 2(I have owned both and am comfortable making this claim). So I don't think that calling people idiots for defending the screen is appropriate since the people that have one and use it daily have no doubt that it is not retina but also know that it's not crap either.

Very well said! I agree completely. You make common sense points

----------

Nice post, OP. I'm glad you found one at Best Buy and are enjoying it.

I'm loving my iPad mini as well. It's a hell of a device, and I think that the screen is pretty damned good too. Retina display is amazing, and I will love it even more when it's made available on the iPad mini 2. But for now, I'm 100% content with the screen and have no qualms about it.

To the people crying about the iPad mini screen -- don't use iPad mini! Go use iPad 3 or 4 and be happy!

Yes, we all have a choice of iPads, so no reason to complain really. Sell/return/exchange whatever you are unhappy with and get the iPad you will enjoy :)

guitarmandp

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
I bought mine at Best Buy for 90 bucks after tax. I got the 16GB version

I love this thing but I must say, the screen is absolutely a let down. If you exclude the screen it's a quality product. The backs reminds me of an iPhone 5.

What I like is that it fits in my coat pocket, it's a lot more portable than the iPad. It's a lot more comfortable to hold.

Now I never ever hold my iPad 3 It's in a case where I stand it up. I also prefer to use a bluetooth keyboard with it as I hate typing on it.

I prefer the bigger screen of my iPad 3 for doing things around the house, and the iPad mini is better to take with me to restaurants. Even browsing the web I prefer a bigger screen.

Also if I'm on an airplane I would much rather watch a movie on the bigger screen of my 3rd generation iPad.

To me it's hard to pick one over the other. I jailbroke my iPad and I have a bunch of emulators. I think it would suck to play my games on that screen, I am not even that interested in jail breaking my iPad mini. Really the only thing I'm going to use it for is email, the web, Facebook, and twitter.

With my iPad I will do all that plus play video games, watch my sling box, and use my computer with splashtop.

It does feel more natural to read books with this screen however the bigger iPad screen works a lot better for music notation books.

I will find an use for both.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
If you don't think the Mini has a clear screen then maybe you do need your eyes checked.

Lets be fair. There is a HUGE difference in screens between retina and mini.

Text and graphics are clearer on the iPad 3/4.

You can see that the text on the mini is not crisp bordering on fuzzy. It is still acceptable when the real wins are in the size and weight.

I which it had better clarity but its fine for now and I'll wait to see what the next mini & ipad bring.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.