Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2011
Not sure where to post this

I've been thinking more about purchasing my movies through iTunes. They are generally slightly more expensive but I'm wondering if all movies are now in the cloud?

I haven't been keeping up with movies and iCloud, only rented but I would pay slightly more on iTunes if I could stream my purchases to my MacBook, Apple TV, iPhone and iPads, is this possible yet or do you need to sync movies to all devices?

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
So once Apple started up this iTunes in the Cloud for movies and TV shows I've been buying everything from iTunes because of its peace of mind and easy access.

Currently Apple TVs and Macs can stream content down from iTunes in the Cloud.

iPhones, iPads, and iPod touches still need to download first - but you can download as often as needed and don't need to permentently store stuff anywhere.

My guess is that since iTunes 11 added iCloud integration that iOS 7 will catch up to what iTunes now has - so streaming movies and Up Next I'd make a good bet will be a part of the next major update to the iPad and iPhone - sometime in 2013.

Hope this helps - huge fan of buying everything in iTunes - makes life simple

pavelbure

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2007
Except for anything I want in 3d, I buy everything from itunes. Just be careful though, just because you can get it from the cloud today does not mean it will be there tomorrow.

For example, I got a code from the puss in boots blu ray I bought. Downloaded it, a few months later it disappeared from the store and the cloud. Today it appeared again in my cloud, but if you search for the movie in itunes it will not be there as of now.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
So - while titles may be pulled from iTunes - they should still be available from iTunes in the Cloud - I have several purchases that aren't in the store now but still available for me to download - not sure if redemption codes from Blu Rays follow the same rules.

pavelbure

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2007
So - while titles may be pulled from iTunes - they should still be available from iTunes in the Cloud - I have several purchases that aren't in the store now but still available for me to download - not sure if redemption codes from Blu Rays follow the same rules.

No, they may not be available. Even if you purchase them. It's fine to rely on the cloud all the time, but you're going to want a local backup just in case.

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2011
Ok this sounds great, but are all purchases available in the cloud?

Sounds like I might swap over to buying in iTunes.

Just a shame that I can't back up to DVD for the kids DVD player and you can't stream on iPad but like you say, hopefully a feature of ios7

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Yes now all the major studios are on boards - any movie you buy from iTunes will be available from the cloud. As far as DVD player I'd say replace it with an Apple TV.

arbogast777

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2010
Except for anything I want in 3d, I buy everything from itunes. Just be careful though, just because you can get it from the cloud today does not mean it will be

Lets hope Apple gets with it and offers 3D movies through iTunes - Vudu has been doing it for awhile and Roku even has a channel that has some 3D movies on it.

Also, while I too once worried about the whole movies disappearing from the store problem - the more I think about it I don't think it will be a huge problem over time because its simply bad business. The studios and trying like crazy to get people to purchase over rent digitally. They know if consumers would be too worried about their purchases vanishing they wouldn't purchase. Studios know they just can't do that to make a run at this. I'm sure it will happen from time to time as film rights are bought and sold but major studio films should be just fine...

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
It's a question of if Apple thinks 3D is a gimmick or something of value to the customer. I could see Apple going either way there. 3D content perhaps only to Apple TV 4th generation customers at first or forever and that iPads/iPhones/Macs will be 2D.

Who knows, but 3D I don't think is a must have for content - it is nice to have for certain films, but I'm not sure Apple thinks its worth to have.

arbogast777

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2010
It's a question of if Apple thinks 3D is a gimmick or something of value to the customer...but I'm not sure Apple thinks its worth to have.

Although honestly, it's not like it's going to cause Apple to have to reconfigure hardware or anything. It's just the matter of making the titles available...

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Yea true - so you don't need a special HDMI output to make SBS 3D work? I know anglyph works - Apple also wants to make sure the experience is consistent for everyone and the company may not think 3D is ready.

jetjaguar

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2009
somewhere
I have been thinking about purchasing shows and movies through itunes. Right now I just rent. I use to have thousands of dvds but ended up selling them off because I don't really want to deal with physical media anymore. Still not sure if I want to start getting them though.

Just a hypothetical question. Right now the movies and shows you purchase are 1080p but what happens when 4k tvs get released and 4k versions become available. Does that mean one will have to repurchase 4k versions?

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Well when 1080p rolled out people that bought 720p versions automatically got a free upgrade - that could happen with 3D or 4k - 4k may be a while since the files will be so big.

Or it may be an upgrade pricing like how they did with music back a few years ago.

jetjaguar

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2009
somewhere
Well when 1080p rolled out people that bought 720p versions automatically got a free upgrade - that could happen with 3D or 4k - 4k may be a while since the files will be so big.

Or it may be an upgrade pricing like how they did with music back a few years ago.

alright thanks.
I wanted to move everything into itunes so I could set up everything to run through all my devices from anywhere but just have been super lazy about it

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Sure thing - I transitioned about a year ago to iTunes only and am extremely happy with the experience - being able to access everything on all my devices through iTunes in the Cloud is awesome

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Sure thing - I transitioned about a year ago to iTunes only and am extremely happy with the experience - being able to access everything on all my devices through iTunes in the Cloud is awesome

That's definitely something upon which Apple is improving. If you could stream movies to iOS devices just as you can with an Apple TV and then you could hook up the iPad via HDMI to play the movie, that's awesome. I just wish there was a way to have both the top quality of BD with the integration of iTunes/iCloud.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.