Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DreLamar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2012
ATT Free Msg: Your data usage has reached 3GB this month. Using more than 3GB in future billing cycles will result in reduced speeds. You can use Wi-Fi to help avoid reduced speeds. Visit www.att.com/datainfo or call 866-344-7584 for more info.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Here's Verizon's official policy:

Optimizing Our Network. Our Network Optimization practices ensure that you can count on the reliable network you expect. To optimize our network, we manage data connection speeds for a small subset of customers – the top 5% of data users with 3G devices on unlimited data plans – and only in places and at times of 3G network congestion. This ensures that all customers have the best data experience possible.
http://support.verizonwireless.com/information/data_disclosure.html

They're nowhere nearly as strict as AT&T, but Verizon does throttle in a few situations.

unknownbeing

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2012
New York
What do you mean treating us like that? If you mean throttling us, then no, only when connected to highly congested towers and if you're in the top 5% of data users.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Stop saying company x treat blah-blah. They ALL are running a BUSINESS no matter how important they say your calls are (and put you on hold for 30 minutes).

BlueMoonForever

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2012
AT&T is the better carrier. They support world phones on their GSM network. Verizon's CDMA technology screwed them. Verizon also forces individual users on their shared plans. They also don't allow you upgrade and keep your unlimited data plan.

AT&T wins in my book. I feel bad for Verizon customers. AT&T has the better and faster network. I can turn LTE off and pull 10mbps down on my iPhone 5. Verizon iPHone 5 users CANNOT DO THAT.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
AT&T won't unlock subsidized phones still in contract (so that you can use pre-paid local SIMs when you travel overseas). AT&T forces you into paying their ludicrous international rates if you want to use their phones overseas. Verizon will unlock phones still in contract.

Verizon also didn't pull the dick maneuver of blocking FaceTime over 3G like AT&T did (although it's nice to see AT&T bowing under months of pressure and finally reversing this decision).

Also interesting to note that existing Verizon customers with the individual plans can downgrade their unlimited text plan to a $10/mo 1000 txt plan or a $5/mo 500 txt plan. How many years ago did AT&T make the only choice either a unlimited txt plan or nothing?

Having used AT&T until last year, I'm impressed with their HSPA+ network. It's just that they consistently make stupid policy decisions.

swervinsuburban

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2012
AT&T won't unlock subsidized phones still in contract (so that you can use pre-paid local SIMs when you travel overseas). AT&T forces you into paying their ludicrous international rates if you want to use their phones overseas. Verizon will unlock phones still in contract.

Verizon also didn't pull the dick maneuver of blocking FaceTime over 3G like AT&T did (although it's nice to see AT&T bowing under months of pressure and finally reversing this decision).

Also interesting to note that existing Verizon customers with the individual plans can downgrade their unlimited text plan to a $10/mo 1000 txt plan or a $5/mo 500 txt plan. How many years ago did AT&T make the only choice either a unlimited txt plan or nothing?

Having used AT&T until last year, I'm impressed with their HSPA+ network. It's just that they consistently make stupid policy decisions.

Forgot to throw in there Verizon's LTE is twice as fast and in 5 times as many locations, sorry to burst your bubble

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2010
I was pleasantly surprised when I received this text message from my network provider.

IMG_0269.PNG

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Verizon generally won't throttle you but you are forced into their shared data plans and if you want to retain unlimited data, you have to pay full price on the device even if you have upgrades available.

But even finding a full priced iPhone 5 Verizon isn't so easy.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
AT&T is the better carrier. They support world phones on their GSM network. Verizon's CDMA technology screwed them. Verizon also forces individual users on their shared plans. They also don't allow you upgrade and keep your unlimited data plan.

AT&T wins in my book. I feel bad for Verizon customers. AT&T has the better and faster network. I can turn LTE off and pull 10mbps down on my iPhone 5. Verizon iPHone 5 users CANNOT DO THAT.

This argument could go for both sides
Verizon's CDMA technology gives them less dropped calls
AT&T has fast data speeds (means nothing unless you're tethering or streaming)
Verizon has better coverage and an arguably better LTE network. Pretty much everywhere in New Jersey has LTE. Can you say the same for AT&T?
AT&T still has individual plans and terrible company decisions
Verizon is the most expensive
You can't report AT&T phones stolen since the SIM card is the only thing making the phone yours.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
ATT Free Msg: Your data usage has reached 3GB this month. Using more than 3GB in future billing cycles will result in reduced speeds. You can use Wi-Fi to help avoid reduced speeds. Visit http://www.att.com/datainfo or call 866-344-7584 for more info.

Earth to Dre..... Earth to Dre..... come in Dre.....

Forgot to throw in there Verizon's LTE is twice as fast and in 5 times as many locations, sorry to burst your bubble
Wow! Guess I picked the wrong network considering by your statement Verizon's LTE is pushing 102Mbps here in Denver. The other day I clocked in at 51Mbps sitting in the parking lot at the Tivoli on ATT, I can't believe Vrz LTE is twice as fast as that! Gonna switch TODAY!!

TaEbOm

macrumors member
May 30, 2009
Verizon's LTE network currently reaches around 230 million people across 337 markets, more than all of the other U.S. carriers put together. By year's end, Verizon is aiming to cover an additional 260 million people in more than 400 locations.

In contrast, AT&T is still in the early stages of building its LTE network. The company covers around 80 million people and is likely to add another 70 million by the end of 2012.

MAKRUMORS

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2012
Miami
I would switch to Skynet the new network is nero network a learning network just do what i tell you i am police offer

xlost6

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
Here's Verizon's official policy:

http://support.verizonwireless.com/information/data_disclosure.html

They're nowhere nearly as strict as AT&T, but Verizon does throttle in a few situations.

That isn't throttling. Throttling is slowing your connection when you HIT 3GBs for the rest of your monthly cycle regardless which cell tower your connected to. Verizon doesn't throttle. It's only when your on a congested tower do they slow your 3G down to allow other customers with tier plans take full advantage of the 3G service. Even if unlimited data users go over 5GBs or more. Their data speeds will ONLY be reduced on CONGESTED towers. Other cell towers that are not congested, that Unlimited Verizon customer will resume their data speeds on 3G.

Unlike on AT&T, your data speeds are reduced/throttled once you hit 3GBs for the remaining of that monthly cycle.

You're welcome.

BarryL

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2012
I used 11GB of data last month on my Verizon iPhone 5. Never heard a word from Verizon. Am on grandfathered unlimited.

Although under the court case they're not allowed to throttle LTE.

AT&T overall sucks. They're unlimited plan gets throttled at 3GB, they drop calls, and outlining areas are stuck on EDGE. Whereas Verizon has rock solid 3G in outlying areas and is less likely to drop calls. You can't tether unless you change to a tierd plan, you can't FaceTime unless your on a tierd plan (although this might change). AT&T is pushing their customers to tierd plans.

Just my thoughts.

BlueMoonForever

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2012
This argument could go for both sides
Verizon's CDMA technology gives them less dropped calls
AT&T has fast data speeds (means nothing unless you're tethering or streaming)
Verizon has better coverage and an arguably better LTE network. Pretty much everywhere in New Jersey has LTE. Can you say the same for AT&T?
AT&T still has individual plans and terrible company decisions
Verizon is the most expensive
You can't report AT&T phones stolen since the SIM card is the only thing making the phone yours.

Verizon's CDMA technology dropping less calls is heresy. One of my friends who has Verizon always complains of dropped calls. But this is based on coverage. Verizon does win with coverage, yes, but AT&T still has a fast LTE network ( for now). AT&T has terrible company decision? I think aversion wins here. Many people flocked to Verizon for the iPhone in January 2011, then 6 months later they're told they can't keep the plan when upgrading. Sounds like a bad decision to me. I'd still prefer a SIM card.

LapsangSouchong

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
the burrows
You're using a plan that doesn't exist any more. Does it matter?
It's not like you can jump to Verizon.

You can, however, switch to Sprint. But, coming from an AT&T iphone (fast data, simultaneous data, voice), I suspect you'd find that less than satisfactory as well.

It's a business. It has told you its policies. Now it's reminding you.

ps: I tried Verizon. I lasted two weeks.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
Verizon's CDMA technology dropping less calls is heresy. One of my friends who has Verizon always complains of dropped calls. But this is based on coverage. Verizon does win with coverage, yes, but AT&T still has a fast LTE network ( for now). AT&T has terrible company decision? I think aversion wins here. Many people flocked to Verizon for the iPhone in January 2011, then 6 months later they're told they can't keep the plan when upgrading. Sounds like a bad decision to me. I'd still prefer a SIM card.

My calls dropped all the time on AT&T, I would be talking and then suddenly no sound would come through their end and about a minute later the call dropped. I know it dropped because they asked me why I hung up. On Verizon I never had this problem.

LapsangSouchong

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
the burrows
My calls dropped all the time on AT&T, I would be talking and then suddenly no sound would come through their end and about a minute later the call dropped. I know it dropped because they asked me why I hung up. On Verizon I never had this problem.
It's a matter of where you are. I found that I sounded tin-y on verizon, and dropped just as many calls.

On AT&T my office is a dead spot.
On Verizon my home was a dead spot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.