Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
You can't report AT&T phones stolen since the SIM card is the only thing making the phone yours.
FWIW, both AT&T (GSM) and Verizon (CDMA) phones have unique serial numbers that can be used to block stolen devices from being re-used on the networks.

Again, AT&T with their policies, but until this summer, it was their policy to not block stolen phones. Now will they not only block a stolen phone, but they and T-Mobile now share their databases of stolen devices, so stolen phones will be blocked on both networks.

Verizon doesn't throttle. It's only when your on a congested tower do they slow your 3G down
Just so you know, when they do slow your 3G down, they're throttling you.

Your other points are valid. AT&T throttles you 24/7 for the remainder of the month, once you hit their threshold. Verizon throttles the top 5% data users only when they connected to an overloaded tower.

But the verb for a carrier "purposefully reducing your data speed" is: throttle. And both AT&T and Verizon do it. They just have totally different policies about it.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Really? I have been trying to sell my 32GB Verizon iPhone 5 on Craigslist for 3 weeks now. Nobody has been even remotely interested in it.

That doesn't really mean much. Are you competitively pricing the phone? What condition is it in? Does it have a clean ESN? All those things can factor into how much people will want it.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
AT&T is the better carrier.
Better is always highly subjective, regardless of topic. For many, at&t does not meet their coverage (which varies by location) needs where Verizon does. Don't just assume that your situation and preferences are universal no matter what the topic.

They support world phones on their GSM network. Verizon's CDMA technology screwed them.
How so? Verizon has world phones as well.

That isn't throttling.
"We manage data connection speeds for a small subset of customers – the top 5% of data users with 3G devices on unlimited data plans " is certianly throttling. They may throttle a smaller subset of customers but it's still throttling. Nowhere in the definition of the word "throttle" is 3GB mentioned.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
For many, at&t does not meet their coverage needs where Verizon does.
That's the boat I'm in. AT&T's in-building coverage where I work is the pits, so when Verizon finally got a "world" iPhone (the 4s), I switched.

But where I live (which is right smack in the middle of the city), Verizon's LTE network is crap. I get one bar of LTE in my house. Thankfully I can use WiFi for data (and Verizon's CDMA voice network comes through with four bars), but anyone that works near my neighborhood will have the same in-building coverage issue with Verizon that I have with AT&T. Crazy.

I think he meant that foreigners visiting the US can use AT&T with their overseas phones, but I don't see how that factors in for anyone that lives in the US. :confused:

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
AT&T is the better carrier. They support world phones on their GSM network. Verizon's CDMA technology screwed them.

No, it just means that people from abroad who come to the U.S. will have the same non-existent service in some rural areas that native AT&T customers do.

I'm annoyed that Verizon doesn't have the little globe symbol next to the iPhone 5 on its website denoting a world phone. The Verizon iPhone 5 is every bit as much a world phone as the AT&T iPhone 5. Some might even say it's more of a world phone because it's GSM unlocked out of the box on contract.

S

syd430

In Australia they just charge you a couple of dollars per mb over your quota, so you can easily rack up a bill in the thousands or tens of thousands of dollars.

Worse yet is the quota 'alerts' which are delayed by 6-48 hours, often arriving when you've already gone well over your quota

After 5 years of this **** our lazy politicians have finally agreed to put stricter carrier rules in place, which haven't yet taken effect and probably won't for another couple of years.

BlueMoonForever

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2012
Better is always highly subjective, regardless of topic. For many, at&t does not meet their coverage (which varies by location) needs where Verizon does. Don't just assume that your situation and preferences are universal no matter what the topic.

"We manage data connection speeds for a small subset of customers – the top 5% of data users with 3G devices on unlimited data plans " is certianly throttling. They may throttle a smaller subset of customers but it's still throttling. Nowhere in the definition of the word "throttle" is 3GB mentioned.

No, it just means that people from abroad who come to the U.S. will have the same non-existent service in some rural areas that native AT&T customers do.

I'm annoyed that Verizon doesn't have the little globe symbol next to the iPhone 5 on its website denoting a world phone. The Verizon iPhone 5 is every bit as much a world phone as the AT&T iPhone 5. Some might even say it's more of a world phone because it's GSM unlocked out of the box on contract.

I was leaning more towards the Android phones. For example, AT&T customers get use international phones like the Galaxy SIII on their network, whereas Verizon customers cannot. AT&T is more standardized with its phones.

Everyone seems to bash AT&T because of coverage. Well I only can speak for myself, but here AT&T blows Verizon away in coverage. I had Verizon and dropped so many calls it wasn't funny.

If Verizon and AT&T have the equal coverage in an area, AT&T should be a no brainer. Not to mention AT&T has HSPA+a when not in LTE. Verizon can't say they have the same.

xlost6

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
Neither carrier is better. All have their own strengths and weaknesses. Att is no better than Verizon. The same can be said vice versa. You go to a crappy dead zone with AT&T. That HSPA+ means absolutely nothing. Just saying.

To the ones replied to my post about Verizon throttling. Sure they throttle if you wanna subsitute throttling for optimizination which Verizon uses. Like I said. "On a congested tower they will slow your speeds down but they will resume your data speeds if your on a non congested tower". I don't know how many times do I have to say this. AT&T on the other hand clearly sends messages out to users who hit 3GBs and the throttling begins for the rest of that monthly cycle. That doesn't happen with Verizon at all.

You're welcome.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
To the ones replied to my post about Verizon throttling. Sure they throttle if you wanna subsitute throttling for optimizination which Verizon uses.
AT&T throttles for network optimization, too. They just are way more harsh in their approach than Verizon is, IMO.

I don't know how many times do I have to say this.
Considering nobody's contradicted you on the difference between how the two carriers use throttling to optimize their networks, and the fact that you're just repeating Verizon's policy (which was already quoted in post #2), you're not the only one wondering how many times you think that you have to keep saying it. :D

xlost6

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
AT&T throttles for network optimization, too. They just are way more harsh in their approach than Verizon is, IMO.

AT&T throttles you for the rest of your monthly cycle. It doesn't matter if a AT&T customer goes to another cell tower. Still throttled for the rest of the monthly cycle. Verizon doesn't do that but only on congested cell towers. Verizon users don't have to worry about throttled speeds for the rest of their monthly cycle. Once they leave a congested tower to another noncongested tower and your speeds return to normal.

That's the benefit Verizon has OVER AT&T. That was my point. ;)

Edit: Sorry if I'm repeating it over and over again. But I wanted it to be clear.

Last edited:

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012
AT&T is the better carrier. They support world phones on their GSM network. Verizon's CDMA technology screwed them. Verizon also forces individual users on their shared plans. They also don't allow you upgrade and keep your unlimited data plan.

AT&T wins in my book. I feel bad for Verizon customers. AT&T has the better and faster network. I can turn LTE off and pull 10mbps down on my iPhone 5. Verizon iPHone 5 users CANNOT DO THAT.

My iPhone 5 from Verizon is a world phone, works on AT&Ts network, has unlimited everything - including tethering, no throttling, excellent customer service and LTE covering almost every place I travel. Enjoy your AT&T service but don't think we are somehow ****ed because we are on Verizon.

Afbar1114

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2012
when i got my first LTE phone from VZW a year ago i was pulling avg 25 MPS around me and by my parents i was pulling close to 50 MPS..... now a year later im lucky to hit 15 MPS by me and 25 by my parents....more people have LTE phones now so more towers are congested with users using LTE...when Sandy hit my area i never lost service with VZW even data although i think it was on 2g or something...the power by me was out for days and i could still use phone....when i went to work and power was out everyone with AT&T didnt have service and only i had it and my manager needed to use my phone to call other stores...so as far as i am concerned i will never leave VZW..yes they are more then others but what they offer is the worth it to me.

i went to a share everything plan because it was cheaper for me when i had my ex on my plan(now off it) and she bought my an iPad lte over the summer and when i put this on my plan i was paying less then what i was when it was jsut me and her (and even less now that shes off) but i also get 20% off because of my job so that helps alot too...

Last edited:

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
All wireless carriers suck, that's the issue with big companies you'll have a bad experience from time to time.

josh995

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2012
AT&T wins in my book. I feel bad for Verizon customers. AT&T has the better and faster network. I can turn LTE off and pull 10mbps down on my iPhone 5. Verizon iPHone 5 users CANNOT DO THAT.

I'll take my ~450 LTE markets rather than wait 2 years for AT&T to play catch up. Also, I don't like dropped calls on a daily basis.

There's a reason AT&T finished dead last in Consumer Reports ranking of wireless carriers (60,000+ people were polled.) That reason? They suck.

Oh, and instead of comparing last generation technology, why not look at the current generation. Tests show Verizon LTE and AT&T LTE virtually tied in speed.

joeshmo2010

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2009
Seattle, WA
sigh...

I'll take my ~450 LTE markets rather than wait 2 years for AT&T to play catch up. Also, I don't like dropped calls on a daily basis.

There's a reason AT&T finished dead last in Consumer Reports ranking of wireless carriers (60,000+ people were polled.) That reason? They suck.

Oh, and instead of comparing last generation technology, why not look at the current generation. Tests show Verizon LTE and AT&T LTE virtually tied in speed.

rofl people still read and listen to consumer reports? They're "reports" are horrible...

It's called try and experience things on your own to figure out what works best for YOU. It is sad that people rely on the reviews and opinions of others for what they will purchase, use etc.

josh995

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2012
rofl people still read and listen to consumer reports? They're "reports" are horrible...

It's called try and experience things on your own to figure out what works best for YOU. It is sad that people rely on the reviews and opinions of others for what they will purchase, use etc.

Ok, so you're calling the 60,000 plus people who they gathered their data from horrible?

I've had all 4 major carriers. And I stand by my previous comments, based on my experiences.

Oui

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012
Ok, so you're calling the 60,000 plus people who they gathered their data from horrible?

I've had all 4 major carriers. And I stand by my previous comments, based on my experiences.

Yep that's what he said.

josh995

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2012
Yep that's what he said.

Thanks for your oh-so-helpful comment, Captain Obvious!

And PS... That's not what he said. Please get a brain before quoting posts and giving stupid replies.

Last edited:

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
My calls dropped all the time on AT&T, I would be talking and then suddenly no sound would come through their end and about a minute later the call dropped. I know it dropped because they asked me why I hung up. On Verizon I never had this problem.

agreed. Bluemoon doesnt realize that GSM doesnt doesnt do tower handoffs as well as CDMA.

I had att.. would drop calls when driving all the time. Verizon never.

----------

AT&T is the better carrier. They support world phones on their GSM network. Verizon's CDMA technology screwed them. Verizon also forces individual users on their shared plans. They also don't allow you upgrade and keep your unlimited data plan.

well thankfully the verizon iphone 5..is unlocked..and has GSM.. so the CDMA tech screwing them doesnt apply to me or anyone with a 4s.

All this speed nonsense is subjective to location. Some places on ATT i only get 1-1.5 mbps.. same as my verizon 3g. some places i get 30 mbps on my lte ipad on att. while i get 50 mbps on my ip5 verizon

I can have unthrottled unlimited/unlimited hotspot on VZW facetime over cell.. but cant subsidize. Att i can subsidize..

how about his... i can drive from San Antonio 5 hours to dallas and have LTE at 30-50 mbps more than %75 of the way... can ATT say the same?
I just switched from att and i would get constant dropped calls while driving. From my usual commute from Austin to dallas. (4 hours) I dont get any on verizon.

they all have their pros and cons.. i cant use voice and data on verizon etc.
THERE IS NO WINNER.. its all based on what phone fits YOUR needs for your LOCATION, BUDGET ETC

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I have never received that message when I was on Verizon and now that I'm back with AT&T. I also try to be conscious of my data useage. I know I have an alloted amount of 3GB of data, so I the most I do when I'm not at home is stream music, check Facebook and Twitter, and send iMessages to friends. I refuse to watch any videos on Youtube on LTE unless I'm at home connected to wifi.

BlueMoonForever

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2012

You go ahead and take your 450 markets. You've obviously NEVER used HSPA+. My 10mbps that I can pull can hold a candle to your LTE, especially since its getting crowded pretty fast on Verizon. You also go right ahead and enjoy getting raped by Verizon with their highest wireless prices!!!

Comparing last gen technology? Really? Well I guess LTE is on its way there too, since T-Mobile will be deploying LTE advanced in a few months. Use HSPA+ and I bet you'll re-evaluate your thoughts. ;)

agreed. Bluemoon doesnt realize that GSM doesnt doesnt do tower handoffs as well as CDMA.

I had att.. would drop calls when driving all the time. Verizon never.

----------

well thankfully the verizon iphone 5..is unlocked..and has GSM.. so the CDMA tech screwing them doesnt apply to me or anyone with a 4s.

All this speed nonsense is subjective to location. Some places on ATT i only get 1-1.5 mbps.. same as my verizon 3g. some places i get 30 mbps on my lte ipad on att. while i get 50 mbps on my ip5 verizon

I can have unthrottled unlimited/unlimited hotspot on VZW facetime over cell.. but cant subsidize. Att i can subsidize..

how about his... i can drive from San Antonio 5 hours to dallas and have LTE at 30-50 mbps more than %75 of the way... can ATT say the same?
I just switched from att and i would get constant dropped calls while driving. From my usual commute from Austin to dallas. (4 hours) I dont get any on verizon.

they all have their pros and cons.. i cant use voice and data on verizon etc.
THERE IS NO WINNER.. its all based on what phone fits YOUR needs for your LOCATION, BUDGET ETC

Funny how my Verizon iPhone 4 couldn't hold onto a steady signal at all. I always got the little O sign instead of 3G.

But that is subjective. As I previously said, AT&T wins for me simply because of their technology. Simultaneous voice and data and their EDGE network compares to Verizon and Sprint's EV-DO network.

People on Verizon need to use HSPA+ then maybe they'll understand. Its not "4G" though, I'll admit that, but its sure fast. Who cares if its 3g technology. It can compete with LTE. Like I said, I can pull 10 down on H+. Some Verizon markets are getting so flooded with LTE users they can't even pull 5 down.

xlost6

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
Soon AT&T will be pulling the same number you said Verizon was pulling for you when AT&T gets flooded with LTE customers. Their time will come. Trust me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.