Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
If it's the back glass that's broken then it's an easy fix. I've had the back glass replaced on three separate iPhones and it really does take only a couple seconds. They just unscrew the two bottom screws, slide the old glass off and then slide the new on. Bam. Cost $29 every time.

If you want to save yourself gas, since you said the Apple store is out of the way, you can order the back glass on eBay (probably cheaper than the Apple store anyways) and do it yourself. VERY simple to do!

When I took my jailbroken 4S in to have the back glass replaced, the genius turned the phone on when I gave it to him to fix and he could visibly tell it was jailbroken. He didn't say a thing, took the phone to the back and brought it out with a shiny new back.

Zaptear

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2012
I use a stock iPhone because it does what I need it to. Plus, when something happens to it, I'm not running around trying to figure out how to fix my phone and save my jailbreak.:p

All I do if something happens ware I know I'm going to need a new phone I brake it so you can't even start if ur smart you back up ur phone all the tune anyhow last one I ran over it with my 18 wheeler thy finding my JB now

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Just tell them you want one with iOS 5, if they ask why tell them it's because of google maps.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
How sure are you of this?

He's positive. Anything is POSSIBLE. Heck, you might find one with 5.0 on it!!!

Realistically, they know about jailbreaking, and they update most of the stock to the latest firmware.

That, and jailbreaking (to them) voids the warranty. They know why people want a 5.11 phone (if they request it), and will do everything NOT to get you one for that reason.

Roll the dice. It's 99% you'll get 6.0, but you COULD get 5.11.

This is why jailbreaking is such a pain. I like the rewards too, but it's just not worth it anymore in my opinion. It used to be, sure... and I do miss iBlacklist and SBSettings.

Just replace the back FFS... Why do I think there is more going on then you're telling us???

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
He's positive. Anything is POSSIBLE. Heck, you might find one with 5.0 on it!!!

Realistically, they know about jailbreaking, and they update most of the stock to the latest firmware.

That, and jailbreaking (to them) voids the warranty. They know why people want a 5.11 phone (if they request it), and will do everything NOT to get you one for that reason.

Roll the dice. It's 99% you'll get 6.0, but you COULD get 5.11.

This is why jailbreaking is such a pain. I like the rewards too, but it's just not worth it anymore in my opinion. It used to be, sure... and I do miss iBlacklist and SBSettings.

Just replace the back FFS... Why do I think there is more going on then you're telling us???

Wait a second, they will purposely avoid giving you one w the old software just so you can't jailbreak?! Wtf, why do they care?

I just went ahead and replaced the back, got it off eBay for $8 free shipping, took 5 seconds.

However, the front has a minor scratch on it that has grown very annoying and I can't really ignore it, and my battery has gotten worse too. I want to replace the phone but not if there's no chance I can request a 5.1 or guarantee it somehow.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
i always had my 3G, 3GS, and iPod touch 4th gen jailbroken but with the 5 i don't think i am going too. i cant yet even if i wanted but when iOS 6 was released i updated my iPod to it and lost my jailbreak. Since i got rid of the jailbreak then my iPod ran much smoother and apps stopped closing down on me constantly.

But alas this could all be a causation/correlation thing and could have nothing to do with the jailbreak and could be more with iOS 6 or even just restoring my iPod. I have had my iPhone 5 for so long not jailbroken i have gotten used to not having SBsettings or other tweaks.

But being stock is not for everyone and i do realize why some prefer being JB.

I recommend changing it yourself if you dont want to risk losing your jailbreak. or throwing on a case to cover it up and just forget about it.

Edit: didn't see you already purchased a new back so disregard my previous statement.

iphone46

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2011

There's no way to be sure. However, my lock button broke on my iPhone in April and I got it replaced the 1st(Apple Store at NorthPoint Mall in GA). The phone was running iOS 5.0 still and the newest version at that time was 5.1(released about a month before).

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A

I had my iPhone 4S replaced a month ago. I restored it before bringing it in because it was jailbroken and it updated to 6.0. The replacement had 5.1.1 on.

Maybe you could try requesting one with iOS5? Say you use maps a lot or something lol

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
If you ask for 5.11, they know why. Jailbreaking voids the warranty in their opinion. They will effort to give you a 6.0 if they realize you are actively looking for 5.11.

Roll the dice and don't tell them. Maybe you'll get lucky. Now that 6 has an update (6.01) it's even less likely.

Jailbreaking is a colossal pain now that the community can't keep up. Apple is close to beating the hackers (look at appleTV for example, or the 5). Public jailbreaks are really hard to find. That means you're stuck if something like this happens.

It's better to learn to live without it in this environment. If Apple stopped actively trying to stop it maybe, but they've got the leg up in the cat and mouse game now...

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
If you ask for 5.11, they know why. Jailbreaking voids the warranty in their opinion. They will effort to give you a 6.0 if they realize you are actively looking for 5.11.

Roll the dice and don't tell them. Maybe you'll get lucky. Now that 6 has an update (6.01) it's even less likely.

Jailbreaking is a colossal pain now that the community can't keep up. Apple is close to beating the hackers (look at appleTV for example, or the 5). Public jailbreaks are really hard to find. That means you're stuck if something like this happens.

It's better to learn to live without it in this environment. If Apple stopped actively trying to stop it maybe, but they've got the leg up in the cat and mouse game now...
Lol, Apple is not close to beating the hackers. I don't know where you heard that. They will have a jailbreak for iOS 6 in no time.

And there is no way I will ever go back to stock iOS. It's far too flawed, and there are so many shortcuts and tweaks that make using the phone infinitely easier and more efficient, not to mention the customization options of theming etc. millions of jailbreakers would agree

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Lol, Apple is not close to beating the hackers. I don't know where you heard that. They will have a jailbreak for iOS 6 in no time.

And there is no way I will ever go back to stock iOS. It's far too flawed, and there are so many shortcuts and tweaks that make using the phone infinitely easier and more efficient, not to mention the customization options of theming etc. millions of jailbreakers would agree

LMAO!!! This coming from a guy who has to ask a forum about his replacement options because the hackers can't even jailbreak past 5.11!

Look, hackers are smart and all, but Apple can always release updates faster than the hackers can find public jailbreaks. The proof is there already: You can't update. Why??? Because they beat the hackers. They will string you along saying "any day now" and then it never comes... I've been there, I remember lol.

Then, only AFTER Apple releases 6.1, will they "find" a jailbreak for 6.0. It's almost like Apple has them bought off (the "Dev" team).

If you think they are winning, you may as well go trade in your phone for a 6.01 version right? After all, they'll have it fixed (and untethered) in no time???

LOL... you're funny!

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
LMAO!!! This coming from a guy who has to ask a forum about his replacement options because the hackers can't even jailbreak past 5.11!

Look, hackers are smart and all, but Apple can always release updates faster than the hackers can find public jailbreaks. The proof is there already: You can't update. Why??? Because they beat the hackers. They will string you along saying "any day now" and then it never comes... I've been there, I remember lol.

Then, only AFTER Apple releases 6.1, will they "find" a jailbreak for 6.0. It's almost like Apple has them bought off (the "Dev" team).

If you think they are winning, you may as well go trade in your phone for a 6.01 version right? After all, they'll have it fixed (and untethered) in no time???

LOL... you're funny!

Those "updates" between 6 and 6.1 are extremely minor, and in many cases inferior (5.1 reputedly worsened battery life.) I would take a jailbroken 6 over stock 6.1 any day.

I didnt ask about my replacement options because there isn't a jailbreak for 6, I don't want the ****** new maps program.

Just because they release incrimental updates before a jailbreak is written does not mean they've beaten anyone

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.