Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

m11rphy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 26, 2009
Hi Guys.

Just been to the apple store to check out the new iMac before I order a new 27 but after seeing the screen think I might stick with my Mac Pro. The problem was that after having my retina mac book for a month the screen just didn't seem sharp enough.

To be fair i feel the same way now about my 24 inch cinema screen but was hoping the screen on the new iMac would be an improvement. Im gonna wait to see the 27 inch in person as the resolution is higher. Im really disappointed now cos I was really looking forward to getting rid of the Pro. But right now I'm feeling the same about the iMac as i did the ipad mini when i saw it.

Sorry for going on in this post and Im sure none of you care what I think, but just wanted to share my view :apple:

beerglass007

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2008
I totally agree

I have a 21.5" late 2010 and seeing the new 2012 iMac I can't see any difference.

In the shop the difference in glare was reduced, but at home I never once felt the glare was a problem.

When sat in front of the new iMac there is NO difference what so ever.

Im having a real hard time keeping my BTO order.

I even went to the store again this morning and played around with the speakers...What a let down as well

No bass what so ever now

jsolares

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2011
Land of eternal Spring
Hi Guys.

Just been to the apple store to check out the new iMac before I order a new 27 but after seeing the screen think I might stick with my Mac Pro. The problem was that after having my retina mac book for a month the screen just didn't seem sharp enough.

To be fair i feel the same way now about my 24 inch cinema screen but was hoping the screen on the new iMac would be an improvement. Im gonna wait to see the 27 inch in person as the resolution is higher. Im really disappointed now cos I was really looking forward to getting rid of the Pro. But right now I'm feeling the same about the iMac as i did the ipad mini when i saw it.

Sorry for going on in this post and Im sure none of you care what I think, but just wanted to share my view :apple:

To be honest i didn't think it would be as good as either rMBP, they're using the same LCDs after all, just better assembled and with reduced glare.

I think you'll experience the same with the 27", there's just no increase in resolution, and they're still using IPS so the only improvement is in assembly with reduced glare.

cosmicjoke

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2011
Portland, OR
I think any improvements regarding glare make the upgrade well worth it, I have two TB Displays at the moment and you can turn off every light in the room, close the door, shut the curtains and merely the light emitted from the display alone reflects off my black desk and glares back on the monitor. It's not so much that it's glossy (which will always cause a tiny bit of glare) - It's just the tempered glass that causes way too much glare - it was a bad design choice IMO and it's high time they've finally done something about it.

m11rphy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 26, 2009
Just imagine what a 27" "retina" iMac would cost. :eek:

I totally agree it would be mega money, thats why I don't believe if I wait a year I will see a retina iMac then either. Could still be 2 or 3 years away so if i get an iMac now I will be looking to upgrade by then anyway

AppleMooseMan

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2012
I totally agree it would be mega money, thats why I don't believe if I wait a year I will see a retina iMac then either. Could still be 2 or 3 years away so if i get an iMac now I will be looking to upgrade by then anyway

I concur, that's what I plan to do. Hopefully be 2014 the retina displays comes as standard although it may take a bit longer. I'll buy my 21inch iMac now, and then once the retina display is at a competitive price I'll sell the 21inch.

gagaliya

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2010
one is retina, another is regular lcd. Of course it's different, what the hell are you guys smoking exactly.

and i would never want a retina on a 27" imac, even with the highest graphic card upgrade, it will be slow as hell. Maybe in another 5 years...

mushroomtip

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Hi Guys.

are you saying its not an improvement over the 24 cinema screen ?

burninggarlic

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2012
How do people define "good screen"?
RMBP goes for 15' max. 27' shows much more contents. Just one example, I will never retouch any image on a 15' if I have a 27' over full hd beside, and what ever how high resolution that 15' one has. The same as project work with multiple PDFs and MS Word in the same time, who would prefer a 15' but not 27' just because the 15' is retina?

Of course, if the 27' goes for retina as well.... Wait! Let me check my budget first!

ali5289

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2012
Is the 15 RMBP slower than the imac. I can't decide between the two and not sure which to get..

jmhart

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2012
Hi Guys.

I definitely know what you mean. It's not just the extra resolution of the retina screens that make them look so much better, it's the much wider color gamut--they are capable of displaying a much broader range of colors than older LCD tech. I hadn't really thought of this until I saw it first hand, but these panels Apple is still using in the new iMacs is based on 3+ year old tech that doesn't have anywhere near the color saturation that the retina devices do. The least they could do is combine the new laminating tech with a wide gamut panel, even if it's not retina resolution.

As if there weren't plenty of other factors holding me back from taking the plunge on the new iMac, the fact that my iPad 3 displays better color than a brand new $2000+ iMac is just unacceptable. The lack of wide color gamut on the iMac has been a problem for professional iMac users for years, so I really don't get this oversight on Apple's part--except that they must just counting on their users not knowing any better. :mad:

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
So were people actually expecting this to be a significant screen quality/resolution improvement?

Apple already said that it was the same resolution and same LCD, just laminated to reduce reflections and give a bit better color.

m11rphy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 26, 2009
So were people actually expecting this to be a significant screen quality/resolution improvement?

Apple already said that it was the same resolution and same LCD, just laminated to reduce reflections and give a bit better color.

That's a good question, I decided before I got my retina mac book that I was getting a new iMac so guess i never really thought about the screen on it until seeing one in the flesh today.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
I´m very curious to see the screen in action myself. I don´t mind the screen itself not being "new" LCD tech or higher res (I dont really care that much for the whole retina trend, its ok but it really don´t give much else than nicer icons). But I would expect this:

-less reflection ( this I know is in place)

-better color calibration since the calibrate each screen separately (im a bit sceptical about this one, but since Phil Schiller actually used it as a selling point I would be kinda disappointed if the screens arent perfectly calibrated)

-From what I understand, the screen lamination helps getting the screen closer to the surface which makes it feel as if the color and contrast pops much more.

So all in all the screen SHOULD feel a lot better than the previous model even if its the same screen LCD tech and same resolution.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
1) I'm so glad that I have a 27" 2011 iMac. Still plenty fast for my needs and I can see myself having this iMac performing my tasks easily for the next 4 years. In short, no need for me to make these "difficult first-world choices".

2) I consider the display of a 27" iMac to all ready be "Retina" because from a normal viewing distance (roughly 2 and 1/2 feet away), individual pixels cannot be made out. If anything I think the iMac's display could benefit from a 50% increase in pixel density just to make images a little sharper. So a 3840x2160 would be a welcomed improvement but not completely necessary (especially when considering the price a display this large with that resolution would go for). Other than that, I'm actually pretty happy with the display as it is.

washburn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
I totally agree

I have a 21.5" late 2010 and seeing the new 2012 iMac I can't see any difference.

That's ridiculous

Get some glasses

Why hasn't anyone mentioned that there is no longer a gap between the glass and the LCD?? This is a significant improvement.

kaellar

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2012
Well, frist of all, it was pretty stupid to expect sharper image from the display with the same screen size and resolution.
The second thing to mention is the fact that TS needs to check his eyes. For me the difference was clear and obvious - not only the display is less reflective, it's also much better color reproduction with pretty sRGB-similar and definitely calibrated profile out of the box.
It's not the retina of course, but the display of new 21.5 iMac is really good. The only thing that differs it from retina is the resolution itself. You should take a look for current 27 iMac. If it's resolution will be more comfortable and sharp for you, you can simply add less reflections and better colors and you'll know what to expect from new 27s. GL.

Last edited:

jediDev

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2012
That's ridiculous

Get some glasses

Why hasn't anyone mentioned that there is no longer a gap between the glass and the LCD?? This is a significant improvement.

Yup. I feel less glare/reflection/eye strain.

It's also a different LCD. The model number is similar but not same. SDC2 vs SDD1 iirc.

m11rphy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 26, 2009
Just been reading some reviews and the 27inch does seem to be getting good comments on its screen quality and resolution. Im wait and see one in flesh as maybe i have been un fair judging the iMac on the lower model

vladfein

macrumors regular
May 28, 2012
That's ridiculous

If Apple would place old and new iMacs side by side in the store (not like there isn't room for that), it might be easier to see that.
Or not...

beerglass007

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2008
That's ridiculous

Get some glasses

Not at all

When using the iMac your not looking at the gap difference

I standby my statement. It's not like night and day difference.

It's basically iMac 1.5 not iMac 2.0

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.