Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frozi

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 22, 2012
I'm looking to get an external for the new imac to keep my footage on when editing.

My two options are either FireWire 800 or USB 3.0

The new imac doesn't have a FireWire port, so am I better off getting USB 3 or get an external with FireWire and use the thunderbolt to fire wire adapter?

I've always thought FireWire is the way to go because of continuous stream, but would the adapter slow it down to a point USB 3 has the advantage?

frozi

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 22, 2012
Did I post this in the wrong section?

Does no one know if the adapter is good enough, or if I should go usb3?

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
I know....

Thunderbolt can be up to six times faster over USB 3.0 Supposing the adapter cut the advantage in 50%, still it is 3x faster

:):apple:

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
USB3 is much faster then firewire, im not sure usb3 has the same issues with video that usb2 did. If you want the best performance why not get a thunderbolt external?

mjsanders5uk

macrumors regular
May 11, 2009
The jury's still out on if USB 3 is fast enough for editing. Burst speed is fine but it's the sustained rate that matters.

Caldigit are about to launch a new range of Thunderbolt drives which look interesting, especially the T1 which can use single drives.

The other option is the Lacie Thunderbolt to esata hub which (as I understand it) will work with any esata drive. Esata's are getting cheaper but are still fast enough. I like the G Tech's myself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.