Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

docprego

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2007
Henderson, NV
I'd really like to use my AT&T iPad on T-Mobile so I can take advantage of their $30 unlimited data plan. This plan offers the first 5 GB at 4G speeds. Since I'm in Vegas where T-Mobile has 42mbps HSPA+, will I be able to use my iPad at these 4G speeds using this plan? If it's possible how do I go about this?

Thank you!

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
It'll work on the iPad. The bands are supported by it.

Not sure how to go about activating it though.

docprego

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2007
Henderson, NV
It should work. Just buy a T-Mobile SIm and put it in the iPad.

Thanks. Are you confirming that I should be able to connect at 4G speeds?

Can I buy this sim in a T-Mobile store? I guess then activate it online and put it in the iPad?

----------

It'll work on the iPad. The bands are supported by it.

Not sure how to go about activating it though.

OK read this after I posted. Has anyone else done this and can advise on how to activate the sim?

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Okay, actually ... on second thought, I need to clarify some stuff.

1) the iPad will pick up T-Mobile 3G HSPA+ if the area has been refarmed. I'm not sure if Las Vegas has. T-Mobile has HSPA+ on the 1900mhz band, but they're slowly moving it to a band that the Apple devices will support.

I'm not sure your area has already been refarmed. If it has, it'll pickup T-Mobile HSPA+. If it hasn't, it still will work, but on Edge which is really pointless.

2) I'm assuming if you get it activated and put the SIM in, it'll be fine. I believe that the plan you're referring to is the one that includes voice and text so I had my initial concerns considering it's really a phone plan, that it is for. But I've put the SIM from my AT&T iPhone that has a texting/voice plan on it too, and the iPad worked just fine for that.

You can check if iPad comptaible 3G is in your area here http://www.airportal.de/

docprego

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2007
Henderson, NV
Okay, actually ... on second thought, I need to clarify some stuff.

1) the iPad will pick up T-Mobile 3G HSPA+ if the area has been refarmed. I'm not sure if Las Vegas has. T-Mobile has HSPA+ on the 1900mhz band, but they're slowly moving it to a band that the Apple devices will support.

I'm not sure your area has already been refarmed. If it has, it'll pickup T-Mobile HSPA+. If it hasn't, it still will work, but on Edge which is really pointless.

2) I'm assuming if you get it activated and put the SIM in, it'll be fine. I believe that the plan you're referring to is the one that includes voice and text so I had my initial concerns considering it's really a phone plan, that it is for. But I've put the SIM from my AT&T iPhone that has a texting/voice plan on it too, and the iPad worked just fine for that.

You can check if iPad comptaible 3G is in your area here http://www.airportal.de/

Are the areas that T-Mobile is promoting as 4G ready for the iPhone 5 refarmed? If so then Vegas is:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2010471/t-mobile-usa-invites-iphone-users-to-hspa-networks.html

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009

pocketpenguin

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2012
Doubtful

If TMobile has refarmed the 1900MHz spectrum in Vegas, then it would be technically possible.

However, I recently tried using two different t-mobile sims in my ATT iPad 3 and could NOT get any service, not even at edge speeds.

When I bought my iPad3 on release day I cut my t-mobile sim down and it worked fine at edge speeds in my ATT iPad3 (had to change APN settings).

However, when I tried it again about a month ago, I got nothing but a my-tmobile.com sign on page. It would appear that t-mobile is now blocking regular plan sims and you must purchase a data only sim instead. I also tried one of the $30/month pre-paid 5gig plan sims as well, same result.

So, unless you buy a data plan only sim from t-mobile AND unless t-mobile has refarmed 1900mhz in Vegas, then I am betting you are out of luck.

docprego

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2007
Henderson, NV
If TMobile has refarmed the 1900MHz spectrum in Vegas, then it would be technically possible.

However, I recently tried using two different t-mobile sims in my ATT iPad 3 and could NOT get any service, not even at edge speeds.

When I bought my iPad3 on release day I cut my t-mobile sim down and it worked fine at edge speeds in my ATT iPad3 (had to change APN settings).

However, when I tried it again about a month ago, I got nothing but a my-tmobile.com sign on page. It would appear that t-mobile is now blocking regular plan sims and you must purchase a data only sim instead. I also tried one of the $30/month pre-paid 5gig plan sims as well, same result.

So, unless you buy a data plan only sim from t-mobile AND unless t-mobile has refarmed 1900mhz in Vegas, then I am betting you are out of luck.

I'm convinced Vegas is refarmed so that part of the equation works. Earlier tonight I stuck my T-Mobile Note II sim in my iPad and got nothing but the sign on page you mentioned. I fear that I am out of luck.

That said they do have tablet plans which might work but they are no bargain compared to the AT&T LTE plans available directly from the device.

kevroc

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2011

I ran into this as well. The $30 TMobile plan sim wouldn't work on my Nexus 7 4G. The conclusion was that TMobile is only letting broadband sims work on tablets now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.