Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

awoodenboc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2011
Macbook Pro 2011 with Mac OS X Lion
2.8GHz dual-core Intel Core i7
4GB 1333MHz RAM
750GB 5400-rpm1
Intel HD Graphics 3000

Basically I installed Aspyr's version on Mac OS X and it wasn't that bad - all low settings, I got around 80-125 fps.

Everyone was telling me it's gonna be great in Windows, so I boot camped and installed Windows 7, put a Call of Duty 4 on it, installed boot camp mac drivers and with the same configuration, I got around the same fps (80-125). Everyone was telling me in Windows it's gonna be much higher. I have also seen having 125 fps on at least mid settings on macbook air.

Is there something I am missing? Do I need to do anything before so it will run better?

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
Nothing you can do about it, your graphics card (Intel HD 3000) is utterly medicore. You can't game on any 13" Mac laptop, except for Pacman.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
That isn't true, but the HD 3000 really isn't good for gaming. If you're looking to play a lot of FPS games, you really should have sprung for an MBP or a gaming PC.

Killery96

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2011
4GB 1333MHz RAM
750GB 5400-rpm1
Intel HD Graphics 3000

Basically I installed Aspyr's version on Mac OS X and it wasn't that bad - all low settings, I got around 80-125 fps.

Everyone was telling me it's gonna be great in Windows, so I boot camped and installed Windows 7, put a Call of Duty 4 on it, installed boot camp mac drivers and with the same configuration, I got around the same fps (80-125). Everyone was telling me in Windows it's gonna be much higher. I have also seen having 125 fps on at least mid settings on macbook air.

Is there something I am missing? Do I need to do anything before so it will run better?

I think that the Mac port of CoD4 was really well done. I play it on mac, rather than W7, on which I have several other games that I play. There should be very little performance difference anyways. If you think 80-125 FPS is too low, well then you must think you can see at the framerate of a humming bird cause the human eye doesn't see above 30 FPS. 60 is the max. Turn up the eye candy if you're getting more.

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
I think that the Mac port of CoD4 was really well done.
Agreed.

If you think 80-125 FPS is too low, well then you must think you can see at the framerate of a humming bird cause the human eye doesn't see above 30 FPS. 60 is the max. Turn up the eye candy if you're getting more.
There's a difference between real life vision and the refresh rates of graphics, i.e. you cna certainly tell the difference between and 50Hz and 100Hz TV.

And to get 100+ FPS on that laptop with that game... must be running at 640x480 with every single bit of eye candy turned off.

Killery96

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2011
Agreed.

There's a difference between real life vision and the refresh rates of graphics, i.e. you cna certainly tell the difference between and 50Hz and 100Hz TV.

And to get 100+ FPS on that laptop with that game... must be running at 640x480 with every single bit of eye candy turned off.

I get what you're saying, and CoD4 at 30fps looks choppy, but really, above 40 is just fine and looks pretty smooth if it's consistent.

Well that's not true... I had all textures Extra, and everything else on 800x600 on my 2009 13" macbook pro, and mine never dropped below 80 except on airstrikes, it went to 50ish...

Last edited:

mike34

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2011
hey dude go to options go to graphics and then press the butoon which says 640*420(something like that) and rich to the higher point and there you go.....
4GB 1333MHz RAM
750GB 5400-rpm1
Intel HD Graphics 3000

Troy2000

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2009
the human eye doesn't see above 30 FPS. 60 is the max.

Incorrect. Tests have shown the upper limit of our perception to be in excess of 220fps.

With regard to the Call of Duty 4 OS X port, I have also found performance to be rather poor compared with its Windows counterpart. Despite running it on an 8-core Mac Pro with 5870, I still experience frequent dips into the mid '20s. While under Bootcamp, I can comfortably run Black Ops at 2560x1440 and remain locked at 60.

gregmartin64

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2011
Manchester
The Applestore says that COD4 won't run on intel intergrated graphics cards, so how have you got it to work with you INTEL 3000? I thought that was a integrated card like on my mini mac?

SlickShoes

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
The Applestore says that COD4 won't run on intel intergrated graphics cards, so how have you got it to work with you INTEL 3000? I thought that was a integrated card like on my mini mac?

It refers to the intel cards around when the game was in its heyday, so the Intel GMA 945 i think it was called and such cards.

Generally integrated cards are not supported but many of them still run the game, it just depends what sacrifices you as the user are willing to make to get it playable.

gregmartin64

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2011
Manchester
It refers to the intel cards around when the game was in its heyday, so the Intel GMA 945 i think it was called and such cards.

Generally integrated cards are not supported but many of them still run the game, it just depends what sacrifices you as the user are willing to make to get it playable.

Thanks, that's interesting to know. I might give it ago at some point. I'm new to the MAC world, so I wasn't aware of the history in this regard.

vtrikoupis

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2012
Belgium, Netherlands
Bootcamp Cod4 Retina MBP

Hey guys, saw this thread and I was glad people were having the same issues as I am.. Anyway, straight to the point

As the title reveals, I got a few days ago my MBP with retina display
I have installed windows over bootcamp and I installed cod4, mw1 and mw3

Having set everything to ultra high I got 32 fps which was strange, as I should be getting full (250)

Then i checked mw3 on ultra high, and i was getting around 70.

That being said, I checked my drivers to make sure that the GT 650M was on working and not the HD 4000, and yes the GT 650M is the one working, and it has the latest drivers.

No matter what cfg I change, com_maxfps 0, 125, 250, changing from resolutions from 2880x1800 to 640x480, the frame rate is "capped" at 32 fps

Is there anyone that has had similar problems in the past?

(I am aware that cod4 is available on Mac through Aspyr and the App Store, but since I purchased the game for my PC, I'd like to give it a shot without spending $39.99, leaving that as my last resort)

Edit: Thinking it wouldn't make a great difference, I hooked up my magsafe and it shot up to 60fps, steady. It's capped there now. Would this be because of the screen refresh rate (60Hz)? If so, can this be changed?

Last edited:

jason221

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2009
Hey guys, saw this thread and I was glad people were having the same issues as I am.. Anyway, straight to the point

As the title reveals, I got a few days ago my MBP with retina display
I have installed windows over bootcamp and I installed cod4, mw1 and mw3

Having set everything to ultra high I got 32 fps which was strange, as I should be getting full (250)

Then i checked mw3 on ultra high, and i was getting around 70.

That being said, I checked my drivers to make sure that the GT 650M was on working and not the HD 4000, and yes the GT 650M is the one working, and it has the latest drivers.

No matter what cfg I change, com_maxfps 0, 125, 250, changing from resolutions from 2880x1800 to 640x480, the frame rate is "capped" at 32 fps

Is there anyone that has had similar problems in the past?

(I am aware that cod4 is available on Mac through Aspyr and the App Store, but since I purchased the game for my PC, I'd like to give it a shot without spending $39.99, leaving that as my last resort)

Edit: Thinking it wouldn't make a great difference, I hooked up my magsafe and it shot up to 60fps, steady. It's capped there now. Would this be because of the screen refresh rate (60Hz)? If so, can this be changed?

Write /com_maxfps 125 and /cg_drawfps 1 in the console while you are playing (press the ~ key). If it's constantly stuck at a certain (low) fps, that means a certain setting is causing it. Go to Options and turn off Sync Every Frame if it is on. That should fix it if it is capped at 60.

ynwa1

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2012
Game performance under windows 7 is beter 10 times than any mac os. This is fact. I'm playing many games under win and mac - win is better for gaming.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.