Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

j0n24

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
I picked up a 32gb Black iPad mini on Friday past (mostly because that was the only colour in stock at the time). Unfortunately, I had a prominent scuff in the chamfer on the right side of the iPad and a couple of small gaps in the bezel (they looked to be filled with excess glue). After wiping away the glue I decided that it wasn't worth the hassle to exchange the iPad so I kept it. Six days later I grew tired of dust and dirt collecting in the bezel gap and the chamfer scuff was getting on my nerves so tonight I returned the black model and picked up a White 32gb mini sight unseen (my local Bestbuy still doesn't have them on display)

I'm super happy with the white model. There is a very small dent in the silver chamfer at the top of the iPad but it isn't noticeable due to it being silver. Otherwise it's perfect - and coming from a white iPad 2, I'm partial to white Apple products. The black is nice but after seeing that silver scuff in the black chamfer I can only imagine what it'll look like after a few months with just a Smart Cover!

I'm thinking Apple has some QA issues with Mini production given that I've had two of them with nicks or scratches in the chamfer out of the box. Both of mine had F4 serial numbers if that means anything.

Overall, after nearly a week of use, for my purposes, I really prefer the mini form factor over the full size iPad. I upgraded from an iPad 2 so I have no problems with a non-retna a display.

athletejmv

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2011
Me too

I too started out with a black ipad mini (16GB wifi) because it was the only one available at the time. However, I swapped it for the white after I began to notice posts about how easily the black gets nicks in it. Yes, I'm OCD and cosmetics are important to me because I take care of my possessions. Also, Apple would not be making this item in black if cosmetics didn't matter to its fan base.
And yes, my ipad is an art piece, a tool and a toy for you hatters out there that feel like you should beat up your i-products because they are only "tools." For those of us who care about presentation (taking care of what we posses), we'll most likely have better resale value of our i-products... just some quick thoughts after reading some hatters harassing people who have been concerned about the finish on their black ipad minis getting scratches.

davideotape

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2012
I went back and forth for days when I knew I was going to be returning my black Sprint model because of sprint. I eventually stuck with the black for a few reasons:
- its nondescript. There are a few benefits to that.

The first being that you can just use the device for what you intended it for without admiring it, wondering if the white bezel is picking up more visible dirt, etc.

The second is that it's slightly less conspicuous to thieves when in a folio case. With an app open, it's not immediately noticeable that its an ipad and worth $200ish+ more than the android, kindle, etc (64g lte especially). While looking similar to the competitors is not appealing to some people, i ride the subway daily and thats a benefit for me. pro thieves can spot it immediately of course but the idea is it will dissuade temptation a bit.

The third is movies and reading. The black bezel sort of "gets out of the way" in a darkened room on your way to sleep. The white is always in the margins and peripherals.

I've also never had a white bezel on an iDevice before and wasn't sure if it would be great at first but eventually annoy me.

So I stuck with the black. But yeah the white is very very nice looking too.

EMAN19

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
New York, NY
I also started with a black iPad mini and swapped it out for a white model due to scratches appearing on the chamfered edge (not caused by me) and some big gaps in the upper left corner of the bezel too. The screen was clearly not planted properly because the bezel was uneven and completely off. (Made in China)

Anyway, I went through 2 bad white iPad minis (hair in screen and Wi-Fi bug) before finally getting a good one. *knocks on wood*

----------

I ride the subway daily and I've had about 6-10 people start talking to me because of my iPad mini in the 3 weeks I've had it. These are New Yorkers of all people too. It's crazy how much attention this device gets. I've also noticed people staring and smiling at my Mini too. Some people are still unaware of iPad mini.

flavr

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
I'm reading this post in a dimly lit room on a black iPad 4 thinking to myself how glad I am I choose the black over white because how the retina screen REALLY pops and the black border gets out of the way and fades into the back...also glad I went with the powerhouse iPad 4 with gorgeous big screen and laptop class processor with double the RAM over the recycled iPad 2, otherwise known as the mini ;)

OdT22

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2012
I'm reading this post in a dimly lit room on a black iPad 4 thinking to myself how glad I am I choose the black over white because how the retina screen REALLY pops and the black border gets out of the way and fades into the back...also glad I went with the powerhouse iPad 4 with gorgeous big screen and laptop class processor with double the RAM over the recycled iPad 2, otherwise known as the mini ;)

At least you didn't attempt any underhanded & backhanded or otherwise crass comments about the most popular computing device of 2012. Otherwise, you could have appeared tarded.

flavr

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
At least you didn't attempt any underhanded & backhanded or otherwise crass comments about the most popular computing device of 2012. Otherwise, you could have appeared tarded.

Oh...was it that obvious? ;)

LS1

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2007
I bought a white mini, ended up selling it, and bought a black mini. I like the black so much more. I feel like the white looks really cheap on an ipad. I have a white iphone and prefer it to the black so who knows what is wrong with me.

EMAN19

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
New York, NY

I think you need a female in your life, bud.

You sound utterly lonely! ;)

flavr

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
I think you need a female in your life, bud.

You sound utterly lonely! ;)

She is sound asleep on my lap now...gorgeous girl btw! I don't see the correlation between my post and needing a woman, but anywhoo...not here to argue, just to post my opinion for those trying to decide the best bang for their buck. Black, iPad 4...

flavr

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
Actually the Mini, which runs all the software your 4 does, is a better bang for the buck.

Agreed...issue is you won't be able to say that in a year or two...Apple has a nasty habit of phasing out older outdated hardware very quickly with their OS updates...both IOS and OSX

I suppose at that point you can sell the mini and get version 2 or 3...but it's going to have the same hardware as the iPad 4 available today...making the current iPad 4 the better bang...

Last edited:

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
Agreed...issue is you won't be able to say that in a year or two...Apple has a nasty habit of phasing out older outdated hardware very quickly with their OS updates...both IOS and OSX

I suppose at that point you can sell the mini and get version 2 or 3...but it's going to have the same hardware as the iPad 4 available today...making the current iPad 4 the better bang...

Relax bud, look what happened to iPad 3. Why try to start an argument? Big deal....you bought a full size iPad, go you! Do you want a pat on the back?

EMAN19

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
New York, NY
She is sound asleep on my lap now...gorgeous girl btw! I don't see the correlation between my post and needing a woman, but anywhoo...not here to argue, just to post my opinion for those trying to decide the best bang for their buck. Black, iPad 4...

Really? Are you sure about that? Because judging from your snide and condescending post it looks like the contrary. Enjoy your device and chill out. In the end we're all Apple users. And you're not the only one with an iPad 4 either.

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
I love white iPhones, and I wanted a white iPad mini, but due to the backing I thought it didn't look to good.

Now you have me questioning myself! I picked black because it blends in better for my usage, and I assumed I'd only get the white iPad if I used it for reading which I don't.

PhiladelphiaX

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2012
To me, white Apple products seem more like a fashion statement where as the black Apple products seem more sleek and sophisticated. I don't know, it might just be a personal thing for me. I usually see younger kids with white Apple products and older adults with black Apple products.

I enjoy the black iPad a lot more than the white one (I tested with both of them extensively). I have a black leather folio case for mine, so it blends it pretty nicely. Not only that, but when I'm watching movies on my iPad, the black lining around the screen really helps to maintain that cinematic effect. The white lining on the white iPads are overwhelming and very distracting in that regard. iPads almost never get scratched - unless you're not good at taking care of your products.

Plus, black is shinier :) Can't complain about that.

GreatDrok

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2006
New Zealand
White looks best

I've played with both black and white in stores and ended up getting whitey here because it looks really nice, especially with the Product(Red) cover. Matches my white iPhone nicely too. I love the weight and size and am not finding browsing any harder than on my full size iPad 1. Very pleased.

iHeartsteve

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2012
I've had thoughts about trading my black mini for the white. But the black edge on the screen is just so noticable on the white border. I wish they could have just reversed the top time bar and added white border for screen display.

I have cellular version and I hate the way the white bar at the top looks on the white iPad. If it blended in with the device more, then maybe I'd get the white.

All black for more so far. I love the way the black iphone5 matches my mini and iPad.

I guess I'm staying with black. :apple::p

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA

Apple has a habbit of support two years of hardware, possibly more. Which means that if version 2 has the iPad 4's hardware, or even a bit less, it will be supported. The Mini is still a better bang.

In regards to Apple phasing out old hardware on OSX, I'm about to install Mountain Lion on a 2008 Unibody MBP. I consider four years of OS updates to be pretty good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.