Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
iPad 2 and iPad 3 refurbs come with iOS 5.1.1

----------

Am going to guess iOS 6.0.

Why would Apple install an out of date iOS?

it's precisely them not installing anything that results in iOS 5.1.1 still being on the iPad. it takes too much time (labor hours) to have to upgrade the iOS at the refurb factory, they just let the consumer do it once they buy it

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
iPad 2 and iPad 3 refurbs come with iOS 5.1.1

----------

it's precisely them not installing anything that results in iOS 5.1.1 still being on the iPad. it takes too much time (labor hours) to have to upgrade the iOS at the refurb factory, they just let the consumer do it once they buy it

Huh? When refurbs come back to factory, they have to be wiped and restored -- at that point it takes the exact same effort to install iOS 6 as it takes to install iOS 5.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
Huh? When refurbs come back to factory, they have to be wiped and restored -- at that point it takes the exact same effort to install iOS 6 as it takes to install iOS 5.

it takes considerably less time to wipe an iPad clean than it does to wipe it clean + upgrade it to iOS 6. i've done it numerous times

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
it takes considerably less time to wipe an iPad clean than it does to wipe it clean + upgrade it to iOS 6. i've done it numerous times

Ummmm, what's the difference? When you wipe an iPad clean, it is wiped clean, even the OS. Then you have to reinstall the OS. I don't think installing iOS 6 takes appreciatively longer then installing iOS 5.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
Ummmm, what's the difference? When you wipe an iPad clean, it is wiped clean, even the OS. Then you have to reinstall the OS. I don't think installing iOS 6 takes appreciatively longer then installing iOS 5.

when you wipe an iPad or any iOS device, it does NOT wipe the iOS off of the device. it merely clears all user data and returns it to factory state

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
when you wipe an iPad or any iOS device, it does NOT wipe the iOS off of the device. it merely clears all user data and returns it to factory state

Oh, sorry, I guess with iOS 5 and later, "erase all content and settings" does take you back to the welcome screen, with the OS still intact. Seems my head is still stuck back in the days of iOS 4 and before, where wiping an iDevice meant you wiped the OS along with everything else. Sorry!

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
Oh, sorry, I guess with iOS 5 and later, "erase all content and settings" does take you back to the welcome screen, with the OS still intact. Seems my head is still stuck back in the days of iOS 4 and before, where wiping an iDevice meant you wiped the OS along with everything else. Sorry!

no prob, no worries

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.