Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrFluffums

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 3, 2011
I want an Iphone 32GB. It really doesn't matter which model.
But the problem is the monthly fee's are way too high.

All I need on my plan is:

Unlimited texting
At least 25 minutes-ish
Good Amount of Data for music streaming, picture uploading, social media, teenager stuff. (Above 1GB probably)

Any good ways to get an iphone with a cheaper plan then 50/month ?

Thanks!

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
To get your monthly fee to sub $50, you have to get a unsubsidized$ phone, aka WITHOUT CONTRACT. Then add Walmart's Straight Talk as above.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Any prepaid carrier in the world, here in the US, Straight Talk is a popular choice, and you'll get the full HSPA+ speeds, which is pretty nice still for what you're paying for.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
By the way, I live in Canada :(

I can recommend these two:

Virgin/Koodo's current $45 plan ($50.85 w/ Taxes):
300 Day Time Minutes Canada Wide (No Roaming)
Unlimited 5pm Evenings and Weekends Canada Wide (No Roaming)
Unlimited Texting to Canada, USA, & International
Caller-ID & Voicemail
500MB Data

or

$57($64.41 w/ Taxes) Plan offered by Koodo, Virgin and Fido:
- Unlimited Canada Wide Calling with No Roaming
- Caller ID & Voicemail
- Unlimited Texting to Canada, USA & International
- 2GB 3G/4G/LTE Data (depending on device used)

I would go with either Koodo/Virgin(better member benefits) rather than Fido because their network has better speeds....since they run on Telus & Bell network respectively...since they share their network, they have the best coverage overall.

So your personal opinion between Virgin and Koodo....I know the plans arent $50 or below but hey were in Canada:)

Ps. I was on the virgin $45 plan when they offered only 250MB Data and 150 Day time minutes...it was tough making it with 250MB Data but I managed it with minimal data usage, now they upgraded that same plan to 500MB....but I am on the $57 plan...couldn't be happier with no roaming as i tend to travel around within ontario and also make a decent number of calls during day time each month.

Virgin Mobile Currently has a promotion for Tablet Flex Plans, It is $5+Tax/month for the first two months with Unlimited data! meaning no overage which translates to your plan not going up from $5 to say $15 or $35 etc. You can cancel out after two months and go do it again:D. With a iPhone 5 LTE you can definitely use VOIP apps and other apps...activate imessage one time and that is definitely a bonus and good portion of people have iPhones...or get Whatsapp the most useful messaging app out there which is available on majority of mobile operating systems! Always promote your friends to get it as it helps you save money!

Tip for anyone coming to Canada, always look at smaller carriers when bringing your iPhone along such as Virgin Mobile, Koodo Mobile and Fido! You will get the biggest bang for your buck especially getting on a monthly or prepaid plan!

Last edited:

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
Weird. In the US, virgin is cdma. It's too bad we get stuck with virgin on the s---ty, non-transferable mobile band (while you can technically switch between cdma carriers, reality kicks in and makes it inferior).
Tip for anyone coming to Canada, always look at smaller carriers when bringing your iPhone along such as Virgin Mobile, Koodo Mobile and Fido! You will get the biggest bang for your buck especially getting on a monthly or prepaid plan!

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
Weird. In the US, virgin is cdma. It's too bad we get stuck with virgin on the s---ty, non-transferable mobile band (while you can technically switch between cdma carriers, reality kicks in and makes it inferior).

Ya I think most other places Virgin is GSM/HSPA+ network, it really depends on who buys the license agreements from Virgin. Seems to be owned by Sprint in USA, Here its owned by Bell and before Bell used to be a CDMA network only but once iPhone came in the game they launched HSPA+ network and thanks to that Virgin is also a GSM/HSPA+ network. However our iPhones and other Smartphones do not fall back onto the CDMA network in Canada (unlike Sprint and Verizon from LTE to CDMA including their sub carriers)

fruitpunch.ben

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
Surrey, BC
As far as I know, no carrier will allow you to get a subsidized iPhone on a <$50 plan. So you'll need to buy the phone outright. Then, for example, you can go on Fido's $20 plan which gives unlimited messaging and 50 minutes and $25 for 2GB data
TOTAL = $45

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
As far as I know, no carrier will allow you to get a subsidized iPhone on a <$50 plan. So you'll need to buy the phone outright. Then, for example, you can go on Fido's $20 plan which gives unlimited messaging and 50 minutes and $25 for 2GB data
TOTAL = $45

Thats true, he might be able to get a iPhone 4S 16GB on 3year term for $0 from someone possibly but definitely not a 32GB iPhone unless he/she buys it out right from a carrier/store or Kijiji/Craigslist

Bob Coxner

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2011
If you are 65+ or have parents who are, the major US carriers (AT&T, Verizon) have unadvertised plans for seniors. $29.99 a month for 200 daytime minutes and 500 weekend minutes on AT&T, for example. You can pair that with a minimal data plan of $20 (300mb) and you have your $50 (plus taxes) total. You qualify for the subsidized iPhone prices as well.

I'm guessing the major carriers in Canada have similar senior plans.

walie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2010
Absolutely you can get an iphone with a plan of less than $50, just be prepared to pay more for the iphone itself

numberforty1

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2012
Canada
Unlimited talk and text, pay as you go data (almost never use it), some other stuff not really notable. No caller ID, only bummer about it

sounds like a good deal!
rogers has a "mini" voice box, and caller ID (number only), for $7, you may be interested in that .

nuIphoneUser

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2012
Any prepaid carrier in the world, here in the US, Straight Talk is a popular choice, and you'll get the full HSPA+ speeds, which is pretty nice still for what you're paying for.

So if u live in the Midwest, which would be a better fit if ur looking for unlimited everything w/ the Iphone 4.. Straight Talk or T-Mobile??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.