Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snow755

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
New iPad 5 release date tipped for September 2013 with all new design

Following the recent iPad 4 release date, latest reports have suggested that Apple will launch the new iPad 5 in September 2013 with the fifth-generation tablet to sport an all new design similar to that of the iPad mini and iPhone 5.

With Apple giving its market leading 9.7-inch tablet its second refresh of the year earlier this month with the iPad 4 launching alongside the all new iPad mini, industry analysts have predicted the Cupertino based company will now wait until September 2013 before giving the full sized iPad its next specs and design overhaul.

Kicking off the iPad 5 rumours in a report detailing his predicted Apple launch roadmap for the coming 12 months, Piper Jaffray Senior Analyst and repeated Apple tipster Gene Munster has suggested the iPhone 5 manufacturer will offer its first completely redesigned iPad since the iPad 2 in just 10 months’ time.

Under September 2013 on his Apple roadmap reported by Business Insider, Munster has claimed: “we get a new iPad, which is totally redesigned to look more like the iPhone 5 and iPad Mini.”

Far from the only tablet based launch Apple is tipped to be planning for the coming year, Munster has suggested the company’s annual March release will see a revised Retina display iPad mini touch down just months after the first 7.9-inch offering.

With the iPad mini set to get a further specs bump in September 2013, the mooted iPad 5 is seemingly set to be unveiled alongside the previously rumoured iPhone 5S with the next-generation Samsung Galaxy S3 rival to feature a “modest upgrade” over the current iPhone 5.

iPad 5 Rumours
Said to feature an all new design based around that of the iPad mini and iPhone 5, it is expected that the new iPad 5 will launch with a heavily revised form factor that boasts a flat-backed brushed aluminium finish and will be available in both black and white colour forms.

Although an iPad 5 release date and design details have already made a premature appearance, there is currently no word on iPad 5 specs.

What would you like to see Apple do with its next-generation 9.7-inch iPad tablet? Would a revised form factor or overhauled specs be top of your list? Let us know via the Trusted Reviews Twitter and Facebook feeds or through the comments boxes below

from here

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/new-ipad-5-release-date-tipped-for-september-2013-with-all-new-design

snow755

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
that gives me more time too save my $ i be saveing my $ up starting in may

FrozenDarkness

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2009
Given that the new iPad along with the mini was just released, I see no reason for Apple to release a new version in April.

other than the fact that all consumer apple products will come out at once next year and go into hibernation for a year? i suppose as a consumer it doesn't matter, but as an applefan, i want something to look forward to

Yukon Ed

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2012
that's extremely disappointing, that means nothing is being released in april

Reread the OP:
Far from the only tablet based launch Apple is tipped to be planning for the coming year, Munster has suggested the company’s annual March release will see a revised Retina display iPad mini touch down just months after the first 7.9-inch offering.

To me, that eliminates the Mini from any of my Christmas lists.

FrozenDarkness

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2009
Reread the OP:

To me, that eliminates the Mini from any of my Christmas lists.

I skipped it because its extremely unrealistic

jigzaw

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2012
I'll have to wait and see how it feels in my hands, but I'm not eager for the full-size iPad to go flat-backed like the Mini. I've had the iPad 4 (my first iPad) since release day and have come to really love and appreciate the curved back that allows you to scoop it up off of any surface and makes it really comfy to hold. Thinner/lighter is always appreciated, of course. Moot for me, anyway, since I plan on keeping mine for at least 3 years as I don't throw money around at gadgets very often.

rollzst

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2011
I'll have to wait and see how it feels in my hands, but I'm not eager for the full-size iPad to go flat-backed like the Mini. I've had the iPad 4 (my first iPad) since release day and have come to really love and appreciate the curved back that allows you to scoop it up off of any surface and makes it really comfy to hold. Thinner/lighter is always appreciated, of course. Moot for me, anyway, since I plan on keeping mine for at least 3 years as I don't throw money around at gadgets very often.

I don't want it to have a flat back either. It is the perfect shape as it is

Jony Ive

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2012
I would love a new iPad thinner and lighter than the iPad 3 and iPad 4
It's too heavy!!! Although it has a gorgeous display

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
Nothing to see here. This is just the logical step. New redesigned full sized iPad that takes the same design as the iPad mini and the mini will receive a retina display. Also, anyone who thought Apple was going to turn around and release something in spring is just not accustom to following Apple. Of course it's going to be 10-12 months from the last update.

URFloorMatt

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
Washington, D.C.
I wouldn't say so. For example I think it's much more likely to release a redesigned ipad 5 in April even though that'd be three iPads in a year.

Wild, baseless speculation: We got an early, pseudo iPad update this fall so that Apple can focus its resources on a major iOS revamp, to debut with the new iPhone 5S and the iPad 5 in September.

The design for the new iPad is already locked and will be identical to the new iPod touch and iPad mini. The iPhone 5S will not see any major changes, aside from spec bumps.

In 2013, all eyes will be on iOS7. I could see an iPad mini with Retina display released in the spring, with a price drop on the base iPad mini. The only other products likely to see anything significant are the Thunderbolt Display and the Mac Pro.

Apple does annual releases for all of their products, but realistically each year they've chosen to focus primarily on hardware or software. This year was hardware; next year is software.

FrozenDarkness

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2009
Wild, baseless speculation: We got an early, pseudo iPad update this fall so that Apple can focus its resources on a major iOS revamp, to debut with the new iPhone 5S and the iPad 5 in September.

The design for the new iPad is already locked and will be identical to the new iPod touch and iPad mini. The iPhone 5S will not see any major changes, aside from spec bumps.

In 2013, all eyes will be on iOS7. I could see an iPad mini with Retina display released in the spring, with a price drop on the base iPad mini. The only other products likely to see anything significant are the Thunderbolt Display and the Mac Pro.

Apple does annual releases for all of their products, but realistically each year they've chosen to focus primarily on hardware or software. This year was hardware; next year is software.

I definitely think we'll get an iOS revamp, highly unlikely we'll get one by Spring Time given how little time Jony Ive has had to work on it. I think we'll get an ipad 4 revamp new size in the spring for back to school season, no spec changes. Mini just makes no sense to me unless Apple wants to burn even more good will by pissing people off who bought the ipad mini but still yearned for a retina display. that'd honestly piss a ******** of people off, not to mention there's no rumor at all about the technolgoy being available.

a very wild guess would be a new ipad size, either 8.5" or like 12", that'd be insane.

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
Munster has claimed: “we get a new iPad, which is totally redesigned to look more like the iPhone 5 and iPad Mini.”

That's your great "news"? Posting Gene Munster's speculations? This guy also predicted Apple television in 2012, and his latest prediction for 2013 includes $200 iPhone. To put it another way - anything this guy says is pretty much worthless.

Also, that quote "new iPad redesigned to look like iPhone 5 and iPad Mini" makes almost no sense. iPhone 5 and iPad Mini don't even share the same design. How can new iPad be redesigned to look like both of these products? It would make a bit more sense to say "iPad Mini and iPod Touch 5", which actually share the same design. So as usual, Gene just throwing bunch of crap onto the wall, in hope that something sticks.

mobiletech

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2010
the problem was chip availability, the chip intended on being in the ipad 3/iphone 5 was not going to be out until fall. Making the ipad 3 late by an entire quarter. Instead of pissing off customer like they did for the iphone 4S, they released it with current technology instead of waiting. Hence the many problems people complained about the ipad 3.

the ipad mini will probably drop by $100 and the mini retina will take its place.

ipad will stream line in shape but not change in size to keep the weight distance from the mini. bigger battery/ capacity or maybe even running dual A6X

if people wonder why they are similar they are talking about similar designs it is the anodized aluminum backs/ frames

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
Pretty much anybody with a passing knowledge of Apple's product history could predict that. Not really news...

Also, anyone who thought Apple was going to turn around and release something in spring is just not accustom to following Apple. Of course it's going to be 10-12 months from the last update.

What? Are people seriously still trying to act like know-it-alls when it comes to Apples product release cycles? Yes, patterns do emerge out of Apple product releases but they are also wildly inconsistent so this idea that "history is our guide" is ridiculous (and quite embarrassing to people who try to still "prove" their Apple expertise with such definitive statements)

MacBook Air: Oct 08, Jun 09, Oct 10, Jul 11, Jun12
iMac: Oct 09, Jul 10, May 11, Nov 12
iWork: Jan 06, Aug 07, Jan 09, ???
Aperture: Feb 08, Feb 10, ???
AppleTV: Jan 07, Sep 10, Mar 12
iPad: Apr 10, Mar 11, Mar 12, Oct 12

So there's no logic explaining Apple's decisions because once again all we are seeing is that Apple is a company that will make analysts like Gene Munster or jr Apple "experts" on message boards look embarrassingly silly when they go around declaring they know something that we don't.

BTW. My opinion is that the bigger iPad looks jarringly out of place in todays iOS lineup and very ordinary in a world where their design has been emulated by every single competitor out there. So IF the bigger iPad is still the flagship Apple tablet then Apple won't wait an entire year to replace it with something incredible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.