Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

appkingpin

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2012
Went into my local Apple Store last night and they had a Verizon iPhone 5 in stock. So I got it for full retail so that I do not need to upgrade my Verizon contract (wanted to keep my unlimited data).

My question is, how do I activate the iPhone 5 on my line? Is there anything special I need to do? Anyone did something similar like me to keep their unlimited data?

serkan

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2012
Menlo Park,California
The verizon models are factory unlocked already you just insert a nano-sim and use it.Only the att models are locked but they can be unlocked via itunes store and att.

nascars321

macrumors member
May 13, 2010
If you have access to your verizon account online you can activate it there. You need the sim and meid number from the box. I did it this way sand was activated in minutes.

xlost6

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
If he or she bought the Verizon phone outright and has a plan already with Verizon. He or she should of signed an agreement when they were checking out with the purchase. That's what I did. As soon as I left the store and checked my Verizon account. It was updated with the iPhone 5 information and all I had to do was turn the iPhone 5 on and I was good. I'm assuming he/she bought the Verizon iPhone 5 and not an newly unlocked iPhone 5.

appkingpin

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2012
Hi, I did buy the Verizon phone outright and have a plan already with Verizon.

They never asked me for my Verizon phone number at the Apple store, all I had to do was sign that I was getting a Verizon phone and pay.

I will just try activating on the Verizon Wireless site via Switching an Active device. But will the sim card be automatically activated?

appkingpin

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2012
I tried switching my device to the iPhone 5 tonight and when I was prompted to enter in the SIM card ID, I got this message:

"The SIM associated with the Id you entered is not compatible with the Device you want to activate, Please contact Customer Service at 800-922-0204 for assistance."

I entered in the ICCID from the box.

aznguyen316

macrumors 68010
Oct 1, 2008
Tampa, FL
I tried switching my device to the iPhone 5 tonight and when I was prompted to enter in the SIM card ID, I got this message:

"The SIM associated with the Id you entered is not compatible with the Device you want to activate, Please contact Customer Service at 800-922-0204 for assistance."

I entered in the ICCID from the box.

This exact thing happened to me. You will have to go to a local corporate Verizon store ask just simply ask for a nano sim card. They will set you up in store. To me about 10-15 minutes, the guy was very nice. He added it to my account, made it a no contract addition (kept my unlimited data etc) and activated a new nano sim and added it to my phone.

The nano sim that was in it was previously tied to the number I used to get the upgrade from, so I'm not sure why yours is already "burned in" to another number. Whatever the case you just need a new sim.

appkingpin

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2012
Thanks guys aznguyen316 and dontwalkhand

Guess, I will have to go to a Verizon store... what a pain.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.