Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
I have a simple Core Data model with just one entity which has two relationships, parent and children, with them pointing at each other and parent being to many children. They also have three attributes, index, an Int 64, name, a string, and type, an Int 16.

This model is bound to an Array Controller, a Tree Controller, and a custom class that serves as an NSOutlineViewDataSource.

In the header I have this:
Code:
@interface OutlineViewController : NSObject <NSOutlineViewDataSource> {
    IBOutlet NSTreeController* treeController;
    IBOutlet NSOutlineView* outlineView;
    NSArray* dragType;
    NSTreeNode* draggedNode;
}

In main I have these methods:
Code:
- (void)awakeFromNib {
    dragType = [NSArray arrayWithObject:@"factorialDragType"];
    [outlineView registerForDraggedTypes:dragType];
    NSSortDescriptor* sortDescriptor = [[NSSortDescriptor alloc] initWithKey:@"index" ascending:YES];
    [treeController setSortDescriptors:[NSArray arrayWithObject:sortDescriptor]];
}

- (BOOL)outlineView:(NSOutlineView*)outlineView writeItems:(NSArray*)items toPasteboard:(NSPasteboard *)pasteboard {
    [pasteboard declareTypes:dragType owner:self];
    draggedNode = [items objectAtIndex:0];
    return YES;
}

- (BOOL)outlineView:(NSOutlineView *)outlineView acceptDrop:(id<NSDraggingInfo>)info item:(id)item childIndex:(NSInteger)index {
    NSManagedObject* draggedTreeNode = [draggedNode representedObject];
    [draggedTreeNode setValue:[item representedObject] forKey:@"parent"];
    NSLog(@"Item dragged from %l to %li", [[draggedTreeNode valueForKey:@"index"] longValue], index);
    [draggedTreeNode setValue:[NSNumber numberWithLong:index] forKey:@"index"];
    [outlineView reloadData];
    return YES;
}

- (BOOL)category:(NSManagedObject*)category isSubCategoryOf:(NSManagedObject*)possibleSub {
    if (category == possibleSub) {
        return YES;
    }

NSManagedObject* possibleSubParent = [possibleSub valueForKey:@"parent"];
    while (possibleSubParent != NULL) {
        if (possibleSubParent == category) {
            return YES;
        }
        possibleSubParent = [possibleSubParent valueForKey:@"parent"];
    }
    return NO;
}

- (id)outlineView:(NSOutlineView*)outlineView objectValueForTableColumn:(NSTableColumn*)tableColumn byItem:(id)item {
    return NULL;
}

- (NSDragOperation)outlineView:(NSOutlineView*)outlineView validateDrop:(id <NSDraggingInfo>)info proposedItem:(id)item proposedChildIndex:(NSInteger)index {
    // TODO: Don't propose moving it to where it already is.
    if ([item representedObject] == NULL) {
        return NSDragOperationGeneric;
    }

if ([self category:[draggedNode representedObject] isSubCategoryOf:[item representedObject]]) {
        return NO;
    }

return NSDragOperationGeneric;
}

-(NSInteger)outlineView:(NSOutlineView*)outlineView {
    return 1;
}

-(BOOL)outlineView:(NSOutlineView*)outlineView isItemExpandable:(id)item {
    return YES;
}

- (id)outlineView:(NSOutlineView *)outlineView child:(NSInteger)index ofItem:(id)item {
    return NULL;
}

My issue is this: I can't rearrange items within a given tier. I can move them into and out of each other, but I can't simply have 3 items all on the same level and move the bottom one to be at the top, for example. If I try, what happens is I get a log message that properly reports where I moved the item to and from, but it doesn't actually move the item until I quit the app and relaunch it. Moving items into and out of eachother is instantly reflected. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

I followed the tutorial I found here to get most of the way to where I am:

http://lifeasclay.wordpress.com/201...e-data-in-10-6-part-1-ordered-trees/#more-442

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
I'm not a big fan of doing this but I'm still stuck with this... Bump?

Does anyone know what I'm missing? Why does the row go back where it started when I drag and drop it (and don't move the tier it's in.)

Edit: I've finally found a promising method:
Code:
[treeController moveNode:(NSTreeNode*) toIndexPath:(NSIndexPath*)];

If I insert that in my outlineView:acceptDrop:... method, then some items move properly sometimes. I'm working on making them move properly all the time.

Last edited:

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
Alright... so now I have this code:

Code:
- (BOOL)outlineView:(NSOutlineView *)mOutlineView acceptDrop:(id<NSDraggingInfo>)info item:(id)parent childIndex:(NSInteger)index {
    [draggedObject setValue:[parent representedObject] forKey:@"parent"];
    NSInteger dropIndex = (index == NSOutlineViewDropOnItemIndex) ? 0 : index;
    [draggedObject setValue:[NSNumber numberWithLong:index] forKey:@"index"];
    NSIndexPath* dropPath = (parent) ? [[parent indexPath] indexPathByAddingIndex:dropIndex] : [NSIndexPath indexPathWithIndex:dropIndex];
    [treeController moveNode:draggedNode toIndexPath:dropPath];
    return YES;
}

This works most of the time, except it seems that if the move object originally wasn't a child of anything, I'll end up with two copies of the object: one where it should be, and a second at the bottom of the list of children for the parent. If I add in a check to see if the object was a child of anything and do nothing if it wasn't, it'll be added without a duplicate, but only the child in the wrong spot will be there.

This is confusing/frustrating to say the least...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.