Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacVault

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 10, 2002
Planet Earth
Does anyone know how to do this yet with the iPhone 5? There was a hack to put an iPad SIM in the iPhone 4 & 4S, but isn't the SIM card different now in the iPhone 5?

MacVault

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 10, 2002
Planet Earth
It's a micro-SIM in the 5. Not sure why you'd want data only on it though.

I would LOVEEEE an iPhone 5 with data-only!!! I rarely have the need to talk. It's all txt via Google Voice app, surfing, etc. Only data stuff. I currently buy the minimum voice plan just because it's required by the carrier, and they require it because they know that if they didn't they'd lose a lot of monthly rev.

rritterson

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
DC USA
I would LOVEEEE an iPhone 5 with data-only!!! I rarely have the need to talk. It's all txt via Google Voice app, surfing, etc. Only data stuff. I currently buy the minimum voice plan just because it's required by the carrier, and they require it because they know that if they didn't they'd lose a lot of monthly rev.

Buy one full price from AT&T, request to get it unlocked. Cancel service and get a nano SIM from T-mobile when they come out. You can get 100 minutes, 5GB data and unlimited texts for $30/month prepaid.

Downside is that right now they only offer edge speeds on iphones, though that is changing fast. Still no LTE for quite a while though.

I plan on keeping my AT&T contract until T-mobile lights up 3G in my area, then paying the ETF and transferring service to them. I know AT&T isn't listening, but if they would offer me a low minutes/high data plan I'd take it.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
Another option is to go prepaid. It'll be more expensive, but there aren't a lot of options in this arena. Europe is a lot more flexible.

Surrylic

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
I would be all for an all data plan.. but I wonder how much data MagicJack uses? If I ever needed to make a call I would just use that.

CyBeRino

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011
In theory you should be able to get an iPad plan and have the SIM swapped for a nanosim in-store.

Alternatively, get the iPad plan and cut the SIM down to size. There should be nothing preventing you from using an iPad SIM and plan in an iPhone. (You may have to fiddle with the APN settings though.)

MacVault

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 10, 2002
Planet Earth
Another option is to go prepaid. It'll be more expensive, but there aren't a lot of options in this arena. Europe is a lot more flexible.

Prepaid from which carrier? Does AT&T or Verizon really offer prepaid data-only for iPhone? Can you provide a link to carrier's page on this?

Last edited:

rritterson

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
DC USA
In theory you should be able to get an iPad plan and have the SIM swapped for a nanosim in-store.

Alternatively, get the iPad plan and cut the SIM down to size. There should be nothing preventing you from using an iPad SIM and plan in an iPhone. (You may have to fiddle with the APN settings though.)

AT&T had caught people trying to do SIM swapping to share no-longer-available unlimited plans between devices. They warn you a few times, then deactivate the SIM requiring a call to CS before reactivation. Eventually, they'll just cancel your service for violating the T&C.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
I don't know about verizon, but there are options for at&t mvno carriers.
For example, h2o has a $25 plan which is either minutes, sms, mms or data. If you look, I'm sure you'll find other options.
The mvno carriers don't require unlocking if you have an at&t phone.
Prepaid from which carrier? Does AT&T or Verizon really offer prepaid data-only for iPhone? Can you provide a link to carrier's page on this?

CyBeRino

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011
AT&T had caught people trying to do SIM swapping to share no-longer-available unlimited plans between devices. They warn you a few times, then deactivate the SIM requiring a call to CS before reactivation. Eventually, they'll just cancel your service for violating the T&C.

Do you mean repeatedly swapping by the same person, or many people swapping for the same reason?

In the first case, I can see why. Those SIMs aren't free for them, you know.

MacVault

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 10, 2002
Planet Earth

I'm not expecting an unlimited plan. I just want an iPhone 5 with data-only, even if it's capped. Does the hack work still for putting an iPad SIM into the iPhone? Can the iPad SIM really work in the iPhone 5 if physically trimmed down to size of the miccro sim?

rritterson

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
DC USA
I'm not expecting an unlimited plan. I just want an iPhone 5 with data-only, even if it's capped. Does the hack work still for putting an iPad SIM into the iPhone? Can the iPad SIM really work in the iPhone 5 if physically trimmed down to size of the miccro sim?

Yes, the sim will work if cut and sanded. No, AT&T will not like it and your service will eventually be cut.

supak111

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2008
iPhone 5 DATA ONLY is easy

I'm using iPad 3 data in my iPhone 5, $25 per month 2gb LTE. Just cut the sim down to size. 3.5/4g (9-12mbps down/ 1-3mbps up) works just download the apn from unlockit.co.nz. But they keep kicking me off LTE. LTE I was getting (9-18mbps down and around 9mbps up) LTE would work for about 24 hours then ATT would kick me off LTE and not let me back on. Only if I change the IMEI in ATTs system will the LTE come back for another 12-24 hours and then kick me off again. Right now I'm at the point where even changing my IMEI doesnt help, I think they blocked my iPhone 5 IMEI in their LTE system lol. Anyone know how to get LTE back??

PS: 3.5/4g (9-12mbps down/ 1-3mbps up) always works ;-) even when I'm kicked off LTE

vjim

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2012
iPad data plan in an iPhone

For the past 2 years since 2010 when the original iPad was released, I have used an iPad data plan (grandfathered unlimited) in an iPhone 3GS and until last week an iPhone 4. I had to change the APN in those phones to Broadband to work, otherwise, data wont work if you just stick in the sim card. Now, I bought an iPhone 5 and an iPad mini, I transfered my data service to the iPad mini and was still able to keep the unlimited plan, now with LTE. The only problem is when I stick in the nano sim to the iPhone 5, LTE does not work. I downloaded the APN profile for data to work, but it only picks up 4G service, not LTE. I have LTE here in Los Angeles and the iPad mini shows full bars "LTE" but the iPhone 5 does not. Anybody have similar issues when sticking in a prepaid or other sim cards to the iPhone 5??

trust412

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2012
For the past 2 years since 2010 when the original iPad was released, I have used an iPad data plan (grandfathered unlimited) in an iPhone 3GS and until last week an iPhone 4. I had to change the APN in those phones to Broadband to work, otherwise, data wont work if you just stick in the sim card. Now, I bought an iPhone 5 and an iPad mini, I transfered my data service to the iPad mini and was still able to keep the unlimited plan, now with LTE. The only problem is when I stick in the nano sim to the iPhone 5, LTE does not work. I downloaded the APN profile for data to work, but it only picks up 4G service, not LTE. I have LTE here in Los Angeles and the iPad mini shows full bars "LTE" but the iPhone 5 does not. Anybody have similar issues when sticking in a prepaid or other sim cards to the iPhone 5??

Ive been doing what youve been doing for the past 2 years and recently, I just activated the ipad mini sim card and put it into the iphone5. I am having the exact same issue with the phone not picking up LTE but only picking up 4G. Anyone have and ideas or solution?? Thanks.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois

My friend just get
T-Mobile $30 plan with 5GB 3G data if u have coverage in your area, It includes 100 Day time miuntes + Unlimited Texting
or
Straight Talk $45 plan which includes Unlimited Talking+Unlimited Texting+ up to 3GB of 3G HSPA+ Data

The trouble of going through/ahead with a iPad SIM (unless its going to give you some sort of adrenaline) is not worth it because sooner or later you may get cut off. Also how reliable is Data? its definitely not more reliable than having a Voice or Texting in your actual plan (This I'm saying because if you are in one of those areas where you barely get 2G/EDGE your google voice texting is pretty useless) and not to mention the other ppl having issues...so think about it..is it worth going through any trouble at all or having a phone & plan that just works like one of the two i mentioned above?

Last edited:

vjim

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2012
A month ago, i got an email from at&t, saying "We tried to renew your iPad unlimited data lte plan... please login from an ipad to select a plan." I used the ipad mini's sim in an iphone 5 for around 5 days and i put it back on the iPad. I was so nervous because I thought this was at&t's way of taking out unlimited data users, but fortunately, when i logged in to my iPad the option was still there to select the unlimited data plan. I guess the lesson from this is at&t might know im using an unlimited lte plan in an iPhone 5, and dont let them catch you doing it or you might risk losing your unlimited data plan.

This has happened to me about 3 times in the past 2 years and it is such a headache to worry about losing your unlimited plan... so i decided now to keep the iPad mini using its own sim card and return the iphone 5. So just a warning to all you brave seekers out there.

Loodydo

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2013
I can confirm that this works well on Verizon. Don't even have to mess with apn settings. I chopped an ipad sim down to size, poped it in my iphone5, and it has worked like a charm for 2 months now. Hard to do better than 10$ a month iphone5 data only plan.

The Bogeyman

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2012
Under your stairs

Buy an iPad then.

ronkuba

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2011
I can confirm that this works well on Verizon. Don't even have to mess with apn settings. I chopped an ipad sim down to size, poped it in my iphone5, and it has worked like a charm for 2 months now. Hard to do better than 10$ a month iphone5 data only plan.

I have been doing this on verizon also since the 5 came out. Lte work great, just cut the sim down and it just works. Can't beat $30 a month. I use talkatone for voice.

supak111

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2008
As I've said before it works on ATT iPhone 5 just change APN settings. Its just that LTE only works a day or 2, after a few days they kick you down to 4G.

Someone confirmed working on Verizon.

Anyone try on Sprint?? Can anyone confirm?

Bob Coxner

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2011
Yes, the sim will work if cut and sanded. No, AT&T will not like it and your service will eventually be cut.

I understand AT&T's stand regarding unlimited but why would they care if you have a 3gb data plan for the iPad and use it instead on an iPhone?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.