Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is it worth it to get an iPad?

• Yes, get iPad Mini!

Votes: 38 40.0%
  • Yes, get iPad w/ Retina!

Votes: 46 48.4%
  • don't get any...

Votes: 11 11.6%

• Total voters

vaio1990

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2012
I currently have an iPhone 5 and Macbook Pro Retina 13-inch... Do you guys think I should get an iPad as well? If so, which one?

roccobladr

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2011
Ask yourself these questions:

do you need one? (work, school, etc)

do you want one?

can you afford it?

is money a factor?

if yes then:

will you do any gaming or movie watching that would require retina?

graphic/power intensive apps?

is portability an issue?

basically, if you have the money and want the best and dont care about size i'd say get the iPad 4th gen.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I have the same as you. I had the iPad 3, but sold it and got the Mini. They have serve their purpose.

Need: Phone (Self-Explanatory)
Need: Laptop (Hardcore documents that need to be edit; iTunes music; flash, etc.)
Want: iPad (Netflix, Facetime/iMessage, Gaming, Bigger screen than iPhone, but more portable than Macbook)

So, there can be a balance between all three. Out the three, the iPhone gets used the most, then iPad Mini; and Macbook.

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
Tough decision, I have an iPad 3 and now an iPad Mini, I love them both. But I have to say that as soon as the iPad Mini Cellular models are released, I'll probably never be using the iPad 3 again. Partially because my girlfriend has commandeered it, but also because the Mini is just incredibly light and easy to carry around.

I'll probably pick up an iPad 5 (or whatever) assuming a massive drop in weight, but until then, it's the Mini for me.

mpetrides

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2007
iPad is my favored device

Like you, I have a Mac laptop and an iPhone, but I also have an iPad. Of the three, I use my iPad the most--primarily for surfing the Web and consuming other media (books, movies, occasional game playing).

If I have real work to do, I tend to prefer to use my laptop--mainly because it has Office on it. I carry my iPhone everywhere and it substitutes for the iPad for web browing, email reading when I'm somewhere that would be inconvenient to take my iPad.

So, for me, the three are complimentary and well worth the expense of having each one. YMMV;)

pommie82

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
uk
Everything has there uses depending on your lifestyle for myself i prefer the iPad mini for just doing day to day things and for the 9'7 inch i like that just to watch Tv,movies,Tv series i never browser the internet with my 9'7 inch iPad or do anything else my mini takes care of things like that.

I just use my iMac for downloading music,apps,pictures,converting films & Tv series that i have bought off amazon and also watching Tv or high scale editing of videos or pictures.

If you are the type of person that a traveler all the time then maybe the iPad might be perfect for you and then you would be able too keep up to date with things.

At this moment in time i can honestly say that i'am really enjoying the mini so much that its always in my hand and using it for something i really like the light factor of it and the size for perfect for most things and it brilliant when travelling some where and want to find something out it come now that i use the mini more then i use my 9'7 inch iPad maybe consider looking in to the iPad mini light compact easy to hold just big enough screen for things and also its not really a massive bank account breaker really

I think the best thing you can do really is go to the apple shop and try both out the iPad mini & 9'7 inch iPad for your own peace of mind then make your decision everyone likes different things you might have a go with the mini and love it then again you might hate it only you can answer these questions.Some people really don't like the mini and prefer the 9'7 inch iPad.

Where some people prefer the mini to the 9'7 inch iPad its down to personally preference at the end of the day

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
I currently have an iPhone 5 and Macbook Pro Retina 13-inch... Do you guys think I should get an iPad as well? If so, which one?

You might want to use the same decision making process you used to buy your i5 and rMBP.

smooth

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2007
Detroit
I'd have to agree with the logic that if you are asking on here, you problably don't need it. But ask yourself, what would you use it for? If you do most of your home browsing on your MBP, you probably don't need it. Do you play many game apps on your iPhone? Do you do any e-reading? If so, then you may want to consider one.

For me personally, when I am just browsing, I am on my MBP. I usually only "play" on my phone when I'm out and about, which is only for short periods of time. For the first two years of its existence I truly had no need or use for an iPad. When a basement flood destroyed most of my books and almost got my photos, I decided to go digital with both and mine serves mainly as my books and photo albums. And it has also become my planner/organizer.

Could I live without it? Absolutely, but since I got it, it's been awesome, especially on a couple of trips I've taken. More than likely, if you did get one, you would just spend less time on your laptop and phone.

Matthew9559

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2007
Cleveland, OH
If you can afford it why not try it out and see what you think. Right now you get until Jan. 7th I believe with the special holiday return policy.

I tried the Retina but I think I am going t go with the Mini instead. I just prefer the lighter form factor even though Retina a great. I have a 1st Gen iPad and a Nexus 7 that I will be selling once i get the Mini.

SunnyRenegade33

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2012
iPad with retina > iPad mini with no retina
bigger screen > smaller screen
non anodized > anodized
portability = portability

EMAN19

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
New York, NY
iPad mini w/o Retina > iPad w/ Retina
Smaller Screen > Bigger Screen
Extra Portability > Portability
Anodized = Non-Anodized

imlovinit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
Just my two cents..I never wanted an ipad. I liked it but never thought it was a must. I already had a MacBook Pro and an iPhone I used all the time...it just didn't make sense to spend that type of money for something that I can already do on my other devices. I received an ipad 3 as a bday gift this year and gotta say its basically replaced my laptop. It just really just depends on your needs. If you are really curious, buy it and give it a try. See how it fits with your daily computing needs. It may end up replacing your laptop or desktop, or even become an added aide. :)

S

syd430

If you have to ask on a message board whether you do or do not need an iPad, then you don't really need an iPad and you're better off saving your money.

If there was online discussion forums in 1908, people would of been asking if they should ditch their Horse for a Ford T-Model. A lot of people didn't see the need at first.

Modern, capacitive-based tablets are only 2 years old. A lot of people are still weighing up their use cases.

There wasn't any need to belittle the OP.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
If there was online discussion forums in 1908, people would of been asking if they should ditch their Horse for a Ford T-Model. A lot of people didn't see the need at first.

Modern, capacitive-based tablets are only 2 years old. A lot of people are still weighing up their use cases.

You're comparing a horse to a car. Both are two different things. One is a living animal that needs lots of attention and care, the other is just a car.

Horses are better off that now people aren't primarily using them as cars.

If you don't know whether you're going to use an electronic on a daily, or even weekly basis, then you shouldn't be buying it. What's the point in having a $400 device sitting around that never gets used?

The OP already has both an iPhone 5 and MacBook Pro, and the Retina version at that. If he bought the iPad, he would either use the iPad more, or he would, again, have a $400 device sitting around doing nothing. So it's a bad move either way.

So yes, I'm still going to say to the OP that you shouldn't buy any of the iPads. Wait until the next update and buy some apps in the Mac App Store in the meantime and get some good use out of your MacBook Pro.

S

syd430

If you don't know whether you're going to use an electronic on a daily, or even weekly basis, then you shouldn't be buying it.

Every rationale consumer weighs if the advantages of a given product is worth the monetary cost. Opinions from existing users helps in giving the OP a clearer a picture of real world usage.

If you think the car example was not relevant, than go back to the late 1980's when similar debates took place discussing whether or not a laptop was worth it.

S

syd430

You're comparing a horse to a car. Both are two different things. One is a living animal that needs lots of attention and care, the other is just a car.

It wasn't such a no-brainer in 1908 as you make it out to be. Cars at the time were expensive and the infrastructure wasn't anywhere near as complete.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Every rationale consumer weighs if the advantages of a given product is worth the monetary cost. Opinions from existing users helps in giving the OP a clearer a picture of real world usage.

If you think the car example was not relevant, than go back to the late 1980's when similar debates took place discussing whether or not a laptop was worth it.

The problem is that he isn't asking for opinions on usage, he's basically saying, "I have every new high priced Apple product, except the iPad, should I get that too?" This thread is as meaningless as most of the other daily threads with this same exact question. The only reason people even post these kind of threads is so that we can *MAYBE* assure them that after spending almost $2,000 on a brand new iPhone 5 and MacBook Pro Retina that blowing another $400 down the drain is harmless and it's okay to waste all your money on every new gadget that comes out.

You can get real world usage opinions yourself just by looking around the App Store, or even reading the thousands of other threads about it here. It's not like people don't know what iPads are used for, heck even Apple shows you on their advertisements. And obviously all of us here are biased and will say to get one just because we like ours, so it's not like we're giving him a fair opinion anyway.

S

syd430

Ok on second thoughts thread is just weird. OP started another thread today after this one asking whether or not he should get a retina macbook pro.

Yesterday he was recommending to someone to get an rMBP/iphone 5 and iPad mini, and today he is asking if he should get an iPad to compliment his rMBP, then went on and started a thread soon afterwards asking if he should get a rMBP.

Here are the posts:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1500718/

Then recommends someone else buy 2/3 of the products that he is asking about himself:

https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=16402553#post16402553

I'm confused.

he's basically saying, "I have every new high priced Apple product, except the iPad, should I get that too?"

Last edited by a moderator:

doctorxring

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2006

For browsing the net, email, and reading books an iPad is the berries.

I've hand an iPad1, an iPad3, and now the Mini. They are all superb,
but the Mini is now my fave.

I also have an iPhone5 and an iMac 20 inch screen.

The iPad is my favorite computing device.

dxr

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Australia

I agree. I didn't know I needed an iPad so much until I got one. Because the niche the ipad fulfils is very much about the apps, as well as portability, convenience, long battery times, and you can't use the apps until you've got the machine! OBVIOUSLY!!!

Why do people who feel a thread is a waste of time bother to read it, and then waste their time even more in posting a smug, smart-ass, and useless reply?

To the OP: I have desktop, laptop, iPhone and 2 iPads, they all perform different tasks. But I use the iPads more than anything. They are brilliant providing you are not expecting them to do things they are not designed to do.

Search the iPad forum, there are some good threads about creative use of iPads, as well as their limitations.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
I have an Air and an iPad 3 gen and an android phone, and they complement each other very well. I've written here about how I use my iPad for research purposes. But it really just comes down to your own use patterns and work flows. I use my iPad several hours a day for work, but I know others who just played with it for a month or two and then never used it again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.