Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kahnyl

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 2, 2009
Yesterday I told Siri to remind me to do something when I got to work. She replied "What time do you want me to remind you? (By the way, I don't know where your office is)". I tried saying "How can I tell you where my office is?" but she didn't understand.

How do I do it?

reckless2k2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Put your office location in your contacts by itself with a label of office or work. Or associate it as office or work like you do with wife and kids and such.

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
Create a contact for yourself. Add a street address, label it Work. (Add another, "home" if you want her to know where home is for you)

Diveflo

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2008
has anyone managed to add a second work/school address?
I tried to tell it where my university is, tried to label it as "school", "university" etc. but Siri always tells me it doesn't know my school address :-(

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
I love when people post inaccurate information without reading the thread. Add it to your contact card and tag the address as "work."

It said it can't make changes but opened up my contacts app to edit.

Last edited:

HarHo

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2011
Having the same problem!

I cannot get Siri to recognize my work address. I have tried/done the following things:

1. Put my work location in my contact info, clearly labeled as "work."

2. Tried telling Siri that my work location is <stated my work address.> Response: "I cannot change your contact information."

3. Told Siri my work address and asked her to find it using maps. This worked, so clearly Siri recognizes the address exists.

I am at a loss as to what to try next, other than calling Apple telephone support. If anyone else has figured out a work around, please post!

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
You can tell it anything is anything.....so save your work into your contacts and just say I work at [work name]. That should work...ill try later. I was able to tell Siri who my mother was very easily. I just said, [mothers name] is my mom. It said would you like me to add [name] as your mother, I said yes, now it knows.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
Are your contacts on Outlook or exchange? I found that if I use iCloud's contacts (sync'd to IP4s) and have my info marked as "ME" it works just fine.

HarHo

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2011
Solution!

Okay, everyone, I just got off the phone with Apple support and we figured out why Siri wasn't working for me.

In my work address, I included my office room number (I work at a university, so this is required for proper mail delivery) on one of the "street" fields. Thus my address looked like this:

Street field 1: 3400 xxxxxxxx St.
Street field 2: MH338
City: xxxx
State: IN
ZIP Code: 46xxx

I deleted the MH338 and that did the trick! If any of you who are having this problem have a suite number, room number, or other such thing in one of your street fields, this may be the problem.

Also, to those who say that telling Siri "I work at . . . " will fix the problem, it definitely will not. Siri will respond by showing you the address on a map OR by saying "I cant make changes to your contacts. You can do it in the Contacts app, though." Siri seems to be able to define relationships this way, but not locations that relate to you (that is, your home address, your work address, etc.) For those, Siri seems to rely on information in your contacts.

Ain't new technology fun? ;-)

Airmark1

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2008
I cannot get Siri to recognize my work address. I have tried/done the following things:

1. Put my work location in my contact info, clearly labeled as "work."

2. Tried telling Siri that my work location is <stated my work address.> Response: "I cannot change your contact information."

3. Told Siri my work address and asked her to find it using maps. This worked, so clearly Siri recognizes the address exists.

I am at a loss as to what to try next, other than calling Apple telephone support. If anyone else has figured out a work around, please post!

This should work.

The problem might be that Siri doesnt know who YOU are.

Settings - General - Siri - my info.

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Okay, everyone, I just got off the phone with Apple support and we figured out why Siri wasn't working for me.

In my work address, I included my office room number (I work at a university, so this is required for proper mail delivery) on one of the "street" fields. Thus my address looked like this:

I deleted the MH338 and that did the trick! If any of you who are having this problem have a suite number, room number, or other such thing in one of your street fields, this may be the problem.

Also, to those who say that telling Siri "I work at . . . " will fix the problem, it definitely will not. Siri will respond by showing you the address on a map OR by saying "I cant make changes to your contacts. You can do it in the Contacts app, though." Siri seems to be able to define relationships this way, but not locations that relate to you (that is, your home address, your work address, etc.) For those, Siri seems to rely on information in your contacts.

It is very weird that it says, I can't make changes to contacts, yet it is able to add mother, father, wife to your contact....lol

Airmark1

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2008

Oh. Nevermknd the. Funny bug. Thanks for the share.

cathlabnurse

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2011
Tennessee
I am learning Siri and learning my new iPhone4s. I moved up from the 4. I love forums and reading about others and appreciate all the help others give. Hope to bring a positive :) to the forums :)

Love the iPhone

bananabond

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2012
i tried everything on this thread but still doesnt know where i work. it knoews where i live when i tell it to remind me when i get home but not when i get to work

whatseansaw

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2012
Use the map

Hello,

this was driving me potty and then I found a fix. Launch the new maps app and navigate to your place of work/home. Press and hold over the address that's yours and a pin will appear. Click on the pin label '>' and add it to existing contact - your own.

Then, open the address book contact for yourself and if necessary finess the building number and/or the post code info and then ask Siri. This worked for me. Bizzarely, friends with work/home addresses in the same city as mine seem to work fine but I had to do this for myself. Odd.

coldrick

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2008
A bit difficult in the country

We live on 100 acres, and the house is roughly in the middle of it. My address is indicated by the maps app as being at the road, which is quite a distance from the house. If I try a drop a pin method, the address supplied is a general one, including all of the river valley we live in.

Haven't experimented with reference to "home" in Siri, but it should be interesting. What a fun toy!

Regards,
David

syltrem

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2013

Thanks for this HarHo !!! Worked for me.
Btw you can still add the room number if you precede it with a comma on the 1st address line for example :
Street field 1: 3400 xxxxxxxx St., room MH338
That's how I have it now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.