Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikegasol

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
I have seen a lot of threads come up lately from iPhone users who want to switch or even try Android but they are afraid to give up Apple's ecosystem. This is totally understandable and I can releate as I have all Apple products as well but I dont get the hesitation. I have a Note 2 as my phone but I also have a new ipod touch and an ipad mini for all my iOS needs. The ipod touch is basically an iphone 5 without the phone. I have my itunes integration, i Message, remote app to control my AppleTV etc, all my iOS apps etc...So I really dont get why some feel they NEED to have an iphone to still use iOS. Just curious.

sotorious

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2010
All excuses I say. I'm sure most iPhone owners here have either an iPad or iPod touch

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I have seen a lot of threads come up lately from iPhone users who want to switch or even try Android but they are afraid to give up Apple's ecosystem. This is totally understandable and I can releate as I have all Apple products as well but I dont get the hesitation. I have a Note 2 as my phone but I also have a new ipod touch and an ipad mini for all my iOS needs. The ipod touch is basically an iphone 5 without the phone. I have my itunes integration, i Message, remote app to control my AppleTV etc, all my iOS apps etc...So I really dont get why some feel they NEED to have an iphone to still use iOS. Just curious.

Didn't you answer the hesitation? They don't want to give up the ecosystem?

My wife just decided to switch to a Windows Phone 8 because her work is paying for it. She purchased an iPhone 5 flat out, but was basically having a hard time justifying using a $700 device when she could spend that on xmas gifts and use the Windows Phone 8 device for free. While I realize we are comparing Android and iOS here, many of her statements made sense.

She uses iTunes on OSX to sync her media. Neither Windows Phone nor Android sync with iTunes. While there are sync options for both of these alternate OS's, the fact of the matter is she has to learn something new. She is not a tech head. She does not get excited about learning something new.

Moving on, we have airplay. Again, there are alternates to airplay, but none of them that just work seamlessly with a Mac (by seamlessly I mean no setup). Again, something new to learn. Not a tech geek.

Now we come to the topic of accessories. iPhone 5 already has more accessories on the market than almost any other phone. It's a safe bet that the following iPhone will share its form factor, so these accessories have two years to grow. I am talking cases, batteries, etc. Then of course we have the lightning dock, which is also going to have boatloads of accessories. I just got a Lumia 920. Flagship WP8 device. As far as accessories, there is virtually nothing to be had. In terms of Android, the SGS3 has a ton of accessories, and that is probably it. They still pale in comparison to the iPhone.

Lastly, and this is where I actually agree with her the most, is warranty services. Your phone dies, you take it in to Apple and they replace it. Was the damage your fault? They replace it for $200 if it's the newest phone and $150 for older models. This stands true even if your device is out of warranty. Of course, there is also Apple Care for the accident prone, or those who want to just take the extra precaution. AFAIK there is nothing that comes close on any Android device. You can insure the phone (and pay more out of pocket in the first year) or you can mail it out for manufacturer defects. Neither of those options is as good as walking into a store and getting a replacement. Microsoft has done something similar with their new line of Windows Phones, which is pretty exciting.

If you look at the above examples, many of the commonalities are that the wife is not a tech head and she doesn't want to learn something new for the sake of learning something new. It's pretty tough to convince her that Android (or WP) is going to do a better job at things she needs to get done than her iPhone will. The vast majority of consumers out there are not power users. They don't care about customizing down to the pixel. They don't care about removable batteries. They don't care about swappable storage. iOS/iPhone already works for them and so there is really not enough reason for them to make the switch.

mikegasol

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
Didn't you answer the hesitation? They don't want to give up the ecosystem?

My wife just decided to switch to a Windows Phone 8 because her work is paying for it. She purchased an iPhone 5 flat out, but was basically having a hard time justifying using a $700 device when she could spend that on xmas gifts and use the Windows Phone 8 device for free. While I realize we are comparing Android and iOS here, many of her statements made sense.

She uses iTunes on OSX to sync her media. Neither Windows Phone nor Android sync with iTunes. While there are sync options for both of these alternate OS's, the fact of the matter is she has to learn something new. She is not a tech head. She does not get excited about learning something new.

Moving on, we have airplay. Again, there are alternates to airplay, but none of them that just work seamlessly with a Mac (by seamlessly I mean no setup). Again, something new to learn. Not a tech geek.

Now we come to the topic of accessories. iPhone 5 already has more accessories on the market than almost any other phone. It's a safe bet that the following iPhone will share its form factor, so these accessories have two years to grow. I am talking cases, batteries, etc. Then of course we have the lightning dock, which is also going to have boatloads of accessories. I just got a Lumia 920. Flagship WP8 device. As far as accessories, there is virtually nothing to be had. In terms of Android, the SGS3 has a ton of accessories, and that is probably it. They still pale in comparison to the iPhone.

Lastly, and this is where I actually agree with her the most, is warranty services. Your phone dies, you take it in to Apple and they replace it. Was the damage your fault? They replace it for $200 if it's the newest phone and $150 for older models. This stands true even if your device is out of warranty. Of course, there is also Apple Care for the accident prone, or those who want to just take the extra precaution. AFAIK there is nothing that comes close on any Android device. You can insure the phone (and pay more out of pocket in the first year) or you can mail it out for manufacturer defects. Neither of those options is as good as walking into a store and getting a replacement. Microsoft has done something similar with their new line of Windows Phones, which is pretty exciting.

If you look at the above examples, many of the commonalities are that the wife is not a tech head and she doesn't want to learn something new for the sake of learning something new. It's pretty tough to convince her that Android (or WP) is going to do a better job at things she needs to get done than her iPhone will. The vast majority of consumers out there are not power users. They don't care about customizing down to the pixel. They don't care about removable batteries. They don't care about swappable storage. iOS/iPhone already works for them and so there is really not enough reason for them to make the switch.

Did you even read my post? You dont NEED an iphone to use iOS. A new gen ipod touch or ipad will do everything an iphone can do aside from the calling.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Did you even read my post? You dont NEED an iphone to use iOS. A new gen ipod touch or ipad will do everything an iphone can do aside from the calling.

Yes, I did read your post. Did you read mine? Again, what entices these people to replace their phones with an Android device. So they can buy an iPod touch and still use iOS. great. WHy on earth would they want to do that? That seems like a sacrifice to me. if they want to stay with iOS, they have the option to just stay with iOS.

Your statement was essentially a response to the first sentence in my post, ignoring everything else I had to say afterwards...

mikegasol

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
Yes, I did read your post. Did you read mine? Again, what entices these people to replace their phones with an Android device. So they can buy an iPod touch and still use iOS. great. WHy on earth would they want to do that? That seems like a sacrifice to me. if they want to stay with iOS, they have the option to just stay with iOS.

Your statement was essentially a response to the first sentence in my post, ignoring everything else I had to say afterwards...

I see. You clearly have no interest in Android. My post was aimed at those who are but havent tried it yet. Thanks though.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I see. You clearly have no interest in Android. My post was aimed at those who are but havent tried it yet. Thanks though.

Errr... what? No interest in Android? Did you miss my signature? It's at the bottom of every one of my posts. :)

I am trying to give you a response as to why I think the average person doesn't jump ship to Android. Because it is something new to learn. Because it's different. And most people don't do different for the sake of different. Most people don't learn for the sake of knowledge.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Why carry around an android handset and iPod touch when you can just have an iPhone?

For some people, having one less device to carry around will be a boon. :)

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Why carry around an android handset and iPod touch when you can just have an iPhone?

This was actually the original argument with iPhone (before we had the App Store). People wondered why one would pay the crazy AT&T rates when they could carry a cheap dumb phone alongside an iPod classic. The iPod had more storage than any iPhone and the flip phone would last for days or weeks on a single charge. Turns out, people value having a single device.

mikegasol

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012

The new ipod touch isnt much bigger than a credit card. Doesnt take much work to lug that around lol. I actually prefer to have a separate device for a few reasons. First off, it irritated me to no end when I would have my iphone connected to my stereo and my text, email or phone would go off every few minutes interrupting my listening to music. I dont have to worry about that with an ipod touch. Second is the obvious reason, I get to enjoy both iOS and Android. Both have their pros and cons, why limit yourself to one? I also have both an Xbox and a PS3, so I digress. As I said, this post was just to give people on the fence about Android afraid to leave Apples ecosystem some ideas they may not have considered.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012

I considered doing this if the Lumia 920 was enticing enough, but ultimately it doesn't make a lot of sense for numerous reasons.

I'll revisit the concept when BB10 drops, but a product would have to be incredibly compelling to make it worth the cost and effort of carrying two devices.

dontpannic

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2011
Orpington, Kent, UK
So I really dont get why some feel they NEED to have an iphone to still use iOS. Just curious.

Maybe it's because I don't want to own three devices that have the same purpose. I don't want an iPhone for music, an Android for a phone and an iPad for web browsing. I want a phone that does all three.

Why would I want to be texting people on Android but have an iPod touch specifically for iMessage?

mikegasol

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
Maybe it's because I don't want to own three devices that have the same purpose. I don't want an iPhone for music, an Android for a phone and an iPad for web browsing. I want a phone that does all three.

Why would I want to be texting people on Android but have an iPod touch specifically for iMessage?

Good question. Never really thought of that, probably because I dont use imessage all that often. Its just another messenger to me

paolo-

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
First off, I certainly don't want two devices that have some much intersection between their function. I'm a bit afraid to jump ship from an iPhone to an android phone because I don't really feel like the iPhone is really bad. To me, the grass seems greener on the android side but at the same time I'll have the trouble of changing platform and I don't want to feel like a did a bad decision if I miss certain features that the iPhone offers.

It seems to me like there are a few too many technophiles on this forum. Changing phone every 3/6 months and always getting the latest gizmo. Hey it's your money and your time do what ever you want. But because you're so much into it doesn't mean that the average person is. I just want a smartphone that does what a smartphone does. Call, txt, email, rss, web, take decent pictures, use social networking and a few apps. I really couldn't care less if it's the latest and greatest.

That being said, I'm eyeing a nexus 4, as soon as I can order the bloody thing.

Lindsford

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
iPhone/iOS pros
Reasons making it hard to leave iPhone

1. Ecosystem, goes with out saying. If you're heavily invested its harder to pull away. If all you have is an iPhone I'd imagine it'd be a bit easier to decide on another device.

2. iMessage, while its just another messenger for some. I love it. Being able to pick up conversations from where I left off on multiple devices Is great.

3. Local Retail Stores with great customer support. If I ever have a problem I can usually get same day service and my problems resolved before leaving the store.

4. Prompt updates, no waiting months on end to get carrier approved software. Jelly Bean was released in July and is just now making its way to a few devices with select carriers.

5. iTunes, and WiFi syncing. I'm one of the people who actually enjoy using iTunes/iCloud for syncing/back up. WiFi syncing works like a dream I can have it upstairs on the other side of the house and add/remove my content with a few clicks.

Android OS pros
Reasons Android seems more and more appealing

1. Ability to choose from many different brands, specs and screen sizes.

2. Much more customizable. If that's your thing, it can make all the difference in the world. I'm going nuts on my iP5 not being jail broken. No themes and jailbteak tweaks make iOS very dull at times.

3. Solid App Store, with the ability to use torrents, emulators and many other things Apple doesn't allow in their App Store.

4. Much bigger "jailbreak" community with better support than cydia. You don't have to wait months on end to root your device.

5. Google Maps

Last edited:

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
If you don't want to give up the Apple ecosystem, the phone would be the last device you would want to switch over to another platform.

You basicaly carry the phone with you everywhere you go. Your contants, schedules, reminders, music, apps, and so forth.

Not to mention that most smartphones come with a 2 year contract.

It's much easier to just get an Android tablet.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
@OP: Being a newbie, you have made 20 posts, of which only one has anything to do with iOS or OS X. The rest are about Android.

So... I am just curious - why have you joined MacRumors, which is focused largely around Apple products? I suspect if you answer this question honestly it will apply equally to the question you posed in this thread.

cnguyen0320

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2012
Because a lot of us cannot afford an ipod touch to compliment our phone. Or we dont want to have 2 phone like devices. As for the ipad, many people dont have one and those that do, it isnt really a work device but leisure. All the work/necessary iphone apps they would use arent very useful when put onto the iPad and the iPad is constantly being lugged around.

Apart from ecosystem worries, Apple and iOS are much more stable. I've been to the Nexus 4 forums and there are way way too many problems. Apple had a lot of hardware complaints/bugs (scuffing, etc) but the phone is usable software-wise for the most part (as it was meant to be), the N4 has hardware issues (overheating, easy cracking, static from speakers, etc.) but is also plagued with software issues (battery being drained, phone rebooting "too much", dead apps causing phone to destabilize). That's why a lot of people would rather stay with iOS. The problem is Android people say that these problems occur very little and those who cite them as problems get bashed for it. Thats why they use ecosystem as an excuse.

SidewaysTakumi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2010
Texas
I just don't understand why Android users seem to go out of their way to make a point to a deaf audience. I don't go around saying things like, "oh you've got a sgIII, well that's too bad because I have an iPhone and its better because of x, y, z." However I will say this...in the course of any given day while using my phone, I quite frequently hear the opposite said to me. I use my phone because I like it and I don't feel the need to justify it to everyone around me. I'm not scared of android I just choose not to use it. And for me, it's not about ecosystem, it's about user experience. The times I've messed with an android, it just wasn't smooth and I didn't enjoy it. But, I also don't have to overcompensate or feel threatened and point out everyone else's phones flaws.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Why did you make a thread and when people give you an answer you get upset?

If you don't want to give up the Apple ecosystem, the phone would be the last device you would want to switch over to another platform.

You basicaly carry the phone with you everywhere you go. Your contants, schedules, reminders, music, apps, and so forth.

Not to mention that most smartphones come with a 2 year contract.

It's much easier to just get an Android tablet.

actually from my experience in terms of media consumption, the iphone is the easiest device to replace since an ipad fills a lot of the holes. However, with the way macs have integrated with IOS now, it really would be a compromise to dump your phone since imessage, reminders, and various other IOS features heavily tied to the iphone are present on OSX.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
There's nothing worth doing on an Android phone. I bought, I flashed ROMs, I customized, I am now bored with it and waiting for iPhone 5S. I find myself using it less and less everyday too.

I physically can't even use an iPod Touch (at least the 4th generation). Because the buttons are slanted all weirdly and make them hard to use and uncomfortable. I use AssistiveTouch on the iPad for that reason and use the cover to turn on and off the device. The iPhone 4 is much easier to use because of the boxy shape, but it was falling apart and I wanted a try of something different.

Android is good if all you want to do is go on Facebook, use Google Maps, read the news on Chrome/Flipboard/Feedly/etc, and check the weather. But there isn't a lot of apps that help you be more productive instead of just idling and going on YouTube, or again Facebook. I like that I can at least read through iTunes U material, maybe write something in GarageBand, edit something in endless ways in Snapseed, and jot some entries in Day One and have it sync over.

Right now on my S2 I have one game, Chrome, SoundHound, a tethering app, The Verge app, and the XDA app. Plus a weather app and doubleTwist Alarm Clock. Boring yeah, but I'm not getting into my reasons for not having Facebook/Instagram/Twitter/and YouTube on my phone.

On the iPhone, I had iBooks (for reading PDFs mainly), iTunes U, Day One, Snapseed, Figure, iMovie, GarageBand, Colloquy, Dozzzer, and some others.

cnguyen0320

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2012
I just don't understand why Android users seem to go out of their way to make a point to a deaf audience. I don't go around saying things like, "oh you've got a sgIII, well that's too bad because I have an iPhone and its better because of x, y, z." However I will say this...in the course of any given day while using my phone, I quite frequently hear the opposite said to me. I use my phone because I like it and I don't feel the need to justify it to everyone around me. I'm not scared of android I just choose not to use it. And for me, it's not about ecosystem, it's about user experience. The times I've messed with an android, it just wasn't smooth and I didn't enjoy it. But, I also don't have to overcompensate or feel threatened and point out everyone else's phones flaws.

This is a very good point. I don't see these kind of posts from iOS users. Android users just seem more inclined to justify not buying an iPhone. Perhaps it is because apple is seen as a leader.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
I think there are a lot of things that factor in the supposed "fear" of switching.

1. People are inherently creatures of habit. Leaving what you know for the unknown is unsettling to many. This is especially so in terms of tech, where you can really screw things up pretty quick when you are unsure of your footing.

2. A lot of people have invested a lot of money in iTunes/App Store. Some of that is transferable (non-DRM music), but a lot of it isn't (apps, movies, tv shows, books). Add in someone who primarily uses iCloud for e-mail, calendar, & contacts and the degree of difficulty goes up further.

3. Some people are afraid to jump because if they do make the move and realize 6 weeks from now that they hate it, they're fairly locked in since, in most cases, they used a carrier upgrade to make the switch. Not everyone is comfortable trying to sell the device on the secondary market or has the financial resources to buy another device at non-subsidy prices, so this creates some hesitation.

4. Most people really have no need to change, but feel compelled to do so based on the fact that they are going to be missing something if they don't make the jump. The fact of the matter is this.....there are pluses and minuses to both platforms and for the vast majority of people out there the "need" to move is non-existent. Some leave iPhone because they want to customize every single detail of their phone. For those folks Android is the best. Some leave Android because they want a more polished user experience or something that better integrates with all of their other Apple hardware. For those folks iOS is the best. For everyone else....what they have works just fine for them. Some say they want to leave one platform or the other because they're "bored" with it. I suppose that is reason enough for some, but I wouldn't say that is necessarily something that makes them "need" to move. Largely I think it boils down to the fact that we are a very consumer driven culture. Someone over there has the thing and we feel we "need" that thing to or we're going to be missing out. It's a sickness in our culture these days.

dontpannic

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2011
Orpington, Kent, UK

It's a very good point, and one I feel needs to be pointed out a lot more.

You take a look in any technology forum nowadays.

You'll see a post, for example, "Where's the best place to get an iPhone". The thread will descend into anarchy, usually the first reply to the post will be a variation of:

"Why an iPhone, Android is so much better and its more customisable, iOS is just so restricted".

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
@OP: Being a newbie, you have made 20 posts, of which only one has anything to do with iOS or OS X. The rest are about Android.

So... I am just curious - why have you joined MacRumors, which is focused largely around Apple products? I suspect if you answer this question honestly it will apply equally to the question you posed in this thread.

This^^

How about this, I simply have no enterest in android at this time. I'm completely content with the way apple is currrently taking care of my needs. I have waaaayyy more important things to be concerned with in life than some other tech platform. I mean why, really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.