Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sean4123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2009
I find it so funny how so many people get negative and incorrect information about Apple products, especially the iPhone.

I sell cell phones for a big company (don't want to mention the name) and it's so funny how many people come in looking to buy an Android or Windows phone because the iPhone is "bad."

When I ask them why they think the iPhone is bad, some of the reasons I get back are downright hilarious.

One lady told me she wouldn't buy an "apple" because if you want to send a photo or a video to another person, they too need an "apple." When I proved her wrong, she got mad.

A bunch of others told me that all the Android apps are "free" and the Apple apps cost more money. When I tell them that the apps that cost money usually cost more on Android, they get mad. They also fail to realize that all those "free" Android apps are free for a reason. Most of them suck.

When it comes down to it, most middle aged people that would be perfect for an iPhone 4 for .99cents are drawn away from it because their biased kids have fed them a ton of bad information about Apple.

I had one guy not even consider an iPhone because his friends all hate Apple, so he did too. Once I showed his wife the iPhone 5, he couldn't believe how smooth it ran and bought one that day. He kept telling me how silly he felt about ignoring Apple because of what his friends thought.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
A chart about Samsung's advertising budget has been circulating around the internet... you can see how much Samsung has put into this propaganda machine. If one person ask "what phone should I buy" on FB, nearly all of the responses say "Galaxy Note 2 LTE" or "wait for Galaxy S4". S3 ads are still everywhere. Even if you're not into this smartphone game you will remember how the S3 looks like but probably not the iPhone 5 (i.e. that's why the "boring" comment). Basically, Samsung just painted Apple devices to be completely closed and cannot do anything meaningful except taking pictures and talking on the phone.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
I find it so funny how so many people get negative and incorrect information about Apple products, especially the iPhone.

I sell cell phones for a big company (don't want to mention the name) and it's so funny how many people come in looking to buy an Android or Windows phone because the iPhone is "bad."

When I ask them why they think the iPhone is bad, some of the reasons I get back are downright hilarious.

One lady told me she wouldn't buy an "apple" because if you want to send a photo or a video to another person, they too need an "apple." When I proved her wrong, she got mad.

A bunch of others told me that all the Android apps are "free" and the Apple apps cost more money. When I tell them that the apps that cost money usually cost more on Android, they get mad. They also fail to realize that all those "free" Android apps are free for a reason. Most of them suck.

When it comes down to it, most middle aged people that would be perfect for an iPhone 4 for .99cents are drawn away from it because their biased kids have fed them a ton of bad information about Apple.

I had one guy not even consider an iPhone because his friends all hate Apple, so he did too. Once I showed his wife the iPhone 5, he couldn't believe how smooth it ran and bought one that day. He kept telling me how silly he felt about ignoring Apple because of what his friends thought.

LOL, I over hear people talk bad about iPhone and apple in my job just like you described. Thanks for sharing man

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
It's just like religions... one group of people following religion A thinks that another group of people following religion B are sheeps and are stupid. And they are the one who is clever enough to follow religion A. :p So the A followers try everything to convert people from religion B to A.

iALLOUT4eva

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2012
PlayDay Land
To the OP. You hit the nail on the head about ppl thinking android apps are all free and all apple apps cost more!# I hear this sooooo much its ridiculous. After I pull my ip5 out and show them the truth they get this look on their face # Lol

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
It's annoying because of the ignorance. I always hear "people say Samsung is better" when they probably can't even figure out how to use an iPhone. They just repeat what other people say. I too have heard that "apps are free on Android" and that "you can do more things".

Sean4123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2009
It's annoying because of the ignorance. I always hear "people say Samsung is better" when they probably can't even figure out how to use an iPhone. They just repeat what other people say. I too have heard that "apps are free on Android" and that "you can do more things".

Ya that really cracks me up too. Most people that are preaching you can do "more things" on Android, are people that hardly use their phone for anything at all!

Does anyone have the link to that article that showed some astronomical figure that a high majority of Android devices haven't even connected to Wifi, and even more haven't installed a single app?

When people come into my store and say, well what do you think of that Galaxy phone? I say, "it's got a lot of hype around it right now, thats for sure."

And I don't automatically tell people right off the bat that the iPhone is the best phone for them. I do tell them that I feel the iPhone is the best overall phone for most people, and we see way less problems with them.

Another trend we see are iPhone users getting sick of iOS, going to the Galaxy S 3, then bringing the phone back a week later saying they hate it and want their iphone back.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
It's annoying because of the ignorance.

So what else is new?

There are people who genuinely believe Obama is a muslim and born in Kenya.

OTOH, not everybody are fanatical like we are here who spend countless hours researching the gadgets we're buying. I submit to you (ALL) the majority of the people on the planet are not like us and rely on information from people they know (small circle perhaps?). And family and friends are the worst sources because we implicitly trust them, but forget they too are human and fallible.

All in all, nothing to loose sleep about.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012

I take my hat off to you, sir. You see, people nowadays like to conform to societal norms. If the person's friends all use Android and they keep telling him it's great and all that, he wouldn't go for Apple, even though he may not actually have used the iPhone before. In a nutshell, people are too AFRAID to challenge the norm and go for what they think is right, because most people are scared of being judged and outcasted by their social circle.

People need to see for themselves the devices before buying them. See it with your own eyes and decide for yourselves, not merely listen to your friend's advice. After all, tastes and preferences vary from people to people, so what might be right for others may not be right for you.

billuptracyo

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2012
And they are the one who is clever enough to follow religion A.
a121.jpg

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
It's all very simple. Dumb people own dumbphones. Smart people own smartphones and geniuses own iPhones.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Honestly it's like the star-bellied sneetches.

6117208.gif

In any case, perhaps this belongs in the 'Alternatives to iOS' sub-forum, where people posting there are asking why Apple fans so vehemently defend the iPhone. :cool:

Nale72

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2012
Sweden
I think there are just as much misinformation about Android phones from iPhone users as it is the other way around. Some is just from lack of knowledge and some is from making their phone/OS look better or the other phone/OS look bad even though they know better. The short time I've frequented this forum (since I got my iPhone 5 about a month ago) I've seen quite a few negative posts here also that hasn't exactly been absolutely true about Android and Android phones.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
First time I heard of such a thing, but oh well, can't deny it :D

Yep! You walk into an Apple store and all the reps have iPhones and Apple says they are all geniuses. So therefore, all of us with iPhones are geniuses too! :D

josh995

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2012
Another trend we see are iPhone users getting sick of iOS, going to the Galaxy S 3, then bringing the phone back a week later saying they hate it and want their iphone back.

That's what I did! But I kept my galaxy s3 too long and had to sell it and buy an iPhone 5 at full price. So worth it though.

Android sucks. It sucked when I had my HTC Evo, it sucked when I had my Galaxy Tab 10, and it sucked when I had my GS3. It really sucks. I'm never going back.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
People are lazy. People are sheep.

No one wants to research the tech things they use or buy. They don't want to think about it and they don't want to have to think about how to use it. So they follow their own pack (friends, relatives, media). Then they come here ticked off because it's "not working."

I'm a fan of there being a licensing system to buy tech. You're not smart enough to operate it or too lazy to figure it out, you don't get it.

I don't think I'm too off base on that either. Lots of dumb people buy high end cars, RVs and boats and can tell you everything you want to know about them. Ask them about their phone or their computer and you get a blank stare. But if they really wanted to – they could.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Same applies to any topic out there -- not just iPhones or even just smartphones for that matter.

As always, consider the source.

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
I saw someone who posted a picture online drawing a comparison between a top of the end PC, and a Mac pro.

The information was so misrepresentative in the way it was laid out, it was beyond a joke!

gfunk1122

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2010
Well I also work for a large cell phone company here and I can agree and disagree with you. I have been on Android since day 1 with the g1. I have also rooted every phone I have ever had. I just bought an iPhone 5.

To say Android sucks is just ignorant. It is a much more capable OS and has always been quite a bit ahead of iOS in terms of functionality. When you see all of these people jailbreak their iPhones most of the things they do are add things that are common to Android such as widgets and toggles and such.

Now don't get me wrong I like this phone. The things I do like about it are the design, the camera and the functionality between other iPhones. The apps are very well designed and everything seems to work the way it should. The screen is also very nice and looks great. The things I don't like about it should be fixed with software updates especially the maps. I was in Philadelphia this weekend and had never been there before and needed directions. It worked half the time and the other half of the time it sent me to dead ends and definitely out of the way. I also hate the settings on the phone. If I want to turn on wifi and I'm in an app I have to exit the app, go to settings, go to wifi, turn it on, go home and go back to the app. In Android I can swipe my notification bar down and turn it on. I have adjusted to the keyboard but some of the Android ones are quite a bit better. I hate not having short cut keys to numbers and punctuation. I find that very inconvenient and definitely slows down texting.

Reading through a lot of these forums I do feel people are just going to bash whatever they don't have or aren't familiar with. It goes both ways. I miss the customization of Android and the screen size. Other than that I am pretty happy with the iPhone. It is an excellent design and works very well. On Verizon they need to fix the time bug (of which I don't have or at least haven't noticed it yet) and the wifi issues of which I don't have either.

My main point of all of this is both Android and iOS have their advantages and work really well. With Android you have to understand it a little bit more and that is why I sell more iPhones than I do Android devices because for the common person that I sell a device too it is a better fit. It definitely takes longer to do things with iOS but the average person can't mess anything up.

So stop saying Android sucks and Apple people are geniuses when it is a less capable device...although a very very nice one. ;-)

Go ahead and flame away for saying it is a less capable device. Remember I truly like my iPhone. But until an iPhone has NFC, can autocorrect for capitalization in voice commands for most known words, faster ways of multitasking, some customization and better integration with non iOS devices the iPhone will still be one of the top phones on the market and not the top phone on the market. Another thing that totally sucks about it is the contacts. Good lord there is Nothing you can do with it. Lol. I will look forward to any replies on my shiny new iPhone 5. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.