Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

donileo

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2009
hey @sha4000 you have a valid question. Why do I feel as if Im offended and why do I care about how many $XX dollars Samsung spends? I'll tell you why. Its because it angers me when I hear "the iPhone sucks, Only reason it sells is because of marketing etc etc" when in reality its the opposite and the numbers prove it. Keep in mind how many iPhone or Apple people do you see going out of their way to tell others "Hey your android phones suck" vs how many android people you see saying hey you're an iSheep etc etc. People with Apple products spend their time enjoying their products. Many Android people spend their time trying to bash Apple people for their decisions. In my opinion I want the truth to prevail and its the spreading of these lies on the Android camp that cause the offense and of course cause me to come on here with the "hope" that I can set the facts straight. Oh and by the way I enjoy these discussions. These are necessary as anyone can be wrong and we all strive to learn something.In my view I hope discussions like these will allow only facts to be stated and then with this education ppl can stop all the unnecessary and false Apple bashing.

sha4000

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2012
hey @sha4000 you have a valid question. Why do I feel as if Im offended and why do I care about how many $XX dollars Samsung spends? I'll tell you why. Its because it angers me when I hear "the iPhone sucks, Only reason it sells is because of marketing etc etc" when in reality its the opposite and the numbers prove it. Keep in mind how many iPhone or Apple people do you see going out of their way to tell others "Hey your android phones suck" vs how many android people you see saying hey you're an iSheep etc etc. People with Apple products spend their time enjoying their products. Many Android people spend their time trying to bash Apple people for their decisions. In my opinion I want the truth to prevail and its the spreading of these lies on the Android camp that cause the offense and of course cause me to come on here with the "hope" that I can set the facts straight. Oh and by the way I enjoy these discussions. These are necessary as anyone can be wrong and we all strive to learn something.In my view I hope discussions like these will allow only facts to be stated and then with this education ppl can stop all the unnecessary and false Apple bashing.

Thx for taking to time to entertain my thoughts. I used a line of treos before my first Android and really like them. I will say that IOS seems Much smoother than Androids I have used but that might have alot to do with all the custom roms I have flashed and the iphones are built very well. IOS is just plain and boring IMO compared to Android but that's just my tastes. I have yet to run into or speak to anyone that bashes Apple or Android except in THIS forum. Yeah i know these ppl are out there. Most ppl that I come into contact don't have a clue as to the actual features that each system come with other than the ones that are marketed to the public. I don't consider myself techie or anything but I am the person that ALL my friends and family call when they are having computer or phone problems. You know what I tell them all while I'm helping to resolve their problems. GOOGLE is your friend and the best thing since sliced bread lol. Unlike Apple or Samsung you can find ANY info you seek by googling. Neither one of these company would do anything to defend our honor or help us in anyway so why expend any energy defending them when you have already spoken with your wallet. Again thx for your time.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
in mind how many iPhone or Apple people do you see going out of their way to tell others "Hey your android phones suck" vs how many android people you see saying hey you're an iSheep etc etc. People with Apple products spend their time enjoying their products. Many Android people spend their time trying to bash Apple people for their decisions.

The percentage of iOS users saying that Android sucks is the same that the percentage of Android users saying that iOS sucks.

People with Apple products are no different from people with no Apple products

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Actually revenues between Apple and Sammy are about the same with Apple, perhaps, a bit higher. Both derive the bulk of profits from their cell phones though Apple makes Samsung profits look insignificant. The difference comes from selling a product people want VS selling a product you have to pay billions to sales people push.

Samsung's revenues are higher than what Apple gets (around $190B vs $156B - according to Yahoo). Apple's profits in the last quarter were higher but just barely ($7.3 for Samsung vs. $8.2 for Apple).

TMay

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2001
Carson City, NV
The value of Android is not being at the expenses of a competitor, Microsoft when they bought it.

Clarify, please.

What?

Well, if Samsung is spending $4B on advertising, they are probably spending some of it through Google, wouldn't you think? Generating income off of Android sakes as it were is a desired end result, and advertising Samsung Galaxies is pretty darn meta.

Sy7ygy

Suspended
Nov 16, 2012
HTC is heavily underrated, their One series phones are amazing, much better than an iphone and yet Samsung is at the top....

The One series may be a good phone; but it is the software which is shipped with them; not to mention the piss-poor customer service HTC offer..

SamSCUM; agreed - a Fridge Maker should not be above the rest... in this case it's pure hardware SPAM which allows this greedy ganet to be above.

TMay

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2001
Carson City, NV
Why? Galaxy smartphones are Samsung smartphones, not Google's.

Making money on sales of ads to Samsung might be the sweet spot for Google making money off of Android.

Galaxy ads probably generate more revenue than Moto generates on handset sales. Sounds like a win for Google.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Making money on sales of ads to Samsung might be the sweet spot for Google making money off of Android.

Galaxy ads probably generate more revenue than Moto generates on handset sales. Sounds like a win for Google.

I still don't get why Samsung would have to pay nothing to Google for they smartphone ads.

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005
I still don't get why Samsung would have to pay nothing to Google for they smartphone ads.
I assume the poster would be paying Google for search related advertising like most other companies, not for any other form of advertising.

donileo

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2009
Thx for taking to time to entertain my thoughts. I used a line of treos before my first Android and really like them. I will say that IOS seems Much smoother than Androids I have used but that might have alot to do with all the custom roms I have flashed and the iphones are built very well. IOS is just plain and boring IMO compared to Android but that's just my tastes. I have yet to run into or speak to anyone that bashes Apple or Android except in THIS forum. Yeah i know these ppl are out there. Most ppl that I come into contact don't have a clue as to the actual features that each system come with other than the ones that are marketed to the public. I don't consider myself techie or anything but I am the person that ALL my friends and family call when they are having computer or phone problems. You know what I tell them all while I'm helping to resolve their problems. GOOGLE is your friend and the best thing since sliced bread lol. Unlike Apple or Samsung you can find ANY info you seek by googling. Neither one of these company would do anything to defend our honor or help us in anyway so why expend any energy defending them when you have already spoken with your wallet. Again thx for your time.

Hey @Sha4000 again I agree with you. We as people do extol allot of energy defending companies that probably wouldn't defend us lol but I dunno I guess that's the nature of the game. The way I see it I'm not trying to defend Apple for the sake of Defending Apple but for me its defending the truth and principle. Its like when someone tells you "Hey did you know.. 3+2 is 4 and you are like.. What? no.. that is not true" at some point this starts to get to you especially even more so because you later realize that the "anti-math" society is paying people commissions and TV advertising money to advertise this False Lie :).

On another note, on your observation of IOS's UI speed (faster) versus Android, its definitely there and there is a reason why. Reason why IOS seems more fluid/smooth and applications launch faster has to do with the programming languages that the OS's run. IOS and its Applicatoins are programmed in Objective-C while Android is programmed in Java. Objective C is a Programming Language that is Compiled and then run on the processor and in terms of languages it is very fast. Essentially one way to think of compiled languages is that because they are fully translated before executing on the processor the computer knows exactly what to do and does it very very fast. In the case of JAVA which is what Android uses there needs to be a separate program called an Interpreter running or the Java code has to run in a Virtual Machine. Both of these methods are slower than running Native Code on the CPU which is how IOS runs.

Last edited:

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Reason why IOS seems more fluid/smooth and applications launch faster has to do with the programming languages that the OS's run. IOS and its Applicatoins are programmed in Objective-C while Android is programmed in Java. Objective C is a Programming Language that is Compiled and then run on the processor and in terms of languages it is very fast. Essentially one way to think of compiled languages is that because they are fully translated before executing on the processor the computer knows exactly what to do and does it very very fast. In the case of JAVA which is what Android uses there needs to be a separate program called an Interpreter running. This interpreter "interprets" all the lines of human code to machine code one by one while running each line. In this case all the lines are not translated all at once and then executed, they are translated and executed individually. This extra step makes Android inherently slower in executing code by design. Not only that but JAVA also has security issues as well again due to this middleman "interpreter" program that must sit between the human lines of code and the CPU. I will say though that the choppiness will continue to decrease in Android and may already be negligible for many people because mobile CPUs nowadays are already soo fast and increasingly so. Just my 2 cents and I welcome any contrarian arguments to what I stated here.

No, fluidness in iOS has nothing to do with using Objective-C but the way it handles input. iOS gives all the rpriority to input touch, Android doesn't.

By the way, Dalvik doesn't interprets the programs, it compiles them and runs the compiled code

donileo

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2009
No, fluidness in iOS has nothing to do with using Objective-C but the way it handles input. iOS gives all the rpriority to input touch, Android doesn't.

By the way, Dalvik doesn't interprets the programs, it compiles them and runs the compiled code

Ok. But the compiled code is running in an emulated Virtual machine then No? Also Why doesnt Android give all priority to input touch?

hchung

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2008

No. Whoever first wrote up the input handling comparison was making stuff up.
Fluidness differences between Android and Obj-C has to do with runtime latency, graphics rendering pipelines, quality of profiling tools, and general developer knowledge.

Not exactly. Dalvik is still an interpreter. While it has a JIT compiler in later versions, that is still technically very different from running compiled binaries. JIT compilers are a name for interpreters with specific caching behaviors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.