Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Densi

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
Germany
Hi All,

Currently I am using a white MacBook (early 2008) which needs 15 (!) minutes for exporting a 1:30 min HD movie with iMovie.

Can anybody try to do the same with the 2012 iMac 21.5"/i7/650m/16GB?

I guess the time difference is so huge that I do not bother even when it´s faster with the 27"/i7/675m-680mx/16GB and can buy the high end 21.5".

Thanks and kind regards from Germany
Daniel

Nov 28, 2010
located
Maybe also add your export settings to this thread, thus someone with such a Mac knows, what to set the export at, as iMovie still has a lot of options.
Since iMovie is still not 64-bit or does take more than two cores to do its stuff (FCP X is for that), a 2012 iMac will not be used to its full potential regarding its CPU.

Densi

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
Germany
export settings

You´re right. I will update with the export settings tonight.

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
Can anybody try to do the same with the 2012 iMac 21.5"/i7/650m/16GB?

I ordered that, and I guess I'll try it once I get it.

But there are some variables which speed up/slow down render time, so you might want to share:
  • What you're outputting the video to
  • The render settings (Are you using custom settings, or one of the pre-made settings?)
  • How much other stuff you normally have running
  • The iMovie version
  • The operating system version

I'm sure the new iMac will be able to complete a 1min 30sec HD video in maybe 2 minutes, perhaps less.

Densi

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
Germany
Export settings

Hi again,

With "Share/Export Movie..." I export a full HD iPhone movie as a HD 1080p mov-file. The info button shows "H.264, 25 fps, 20 Mbps". No other apps running, iMovie '11 (version 9.0.7)

I really would appreciate it, if anybody could test this show case ;)

Daniel

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
Hi again,

With "Share/Export Movie..." I export a full HD iPhone movie as a HD 1080p mov-file. The info button shows "H.264, 25 fps, 20 Mbps". No other apps running, iMovie '11 (version 9.0.7)

I really would appreciate it, if anybody could test this show case ;)

Daniel

I have an iPhone 3GS, but not an iPhone that records 1080p video.

I guess I'll ask someone for some footage. Remember though this'll be hopefully sometime next week (For some reason I feel like it'll come Thursday) when the iMac arrives.

Have you added anything to it? Like some text, transitions, or video effects?

Densi

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
Germany
Added

Hi,

Cool, thx!

I added some things like title, end, text (max 5) and some transitions (max 5). No effects.

Daniel

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
Hi,

Cool, thx!

I added some things like title, end, text (max 5) and some transitions (max 5). No effects.

Daniel

Just tried it, took about 3 minutes to export.

It'd be much less if iMovie was 64-bit, perhaps they'll update it with 64-bit (I thought it was 64-bit in the first place).

This is using the maxed out 21.5" iMac:
  • 3.1GHz i7
  • 1TB Fusion Drive
  • 16GB RAM
  • 512MB 650M

If you're keen to edit videos and want to simplicity of iMovie, I'd suggest you take a look at and think about investing in Final Cut Pro X.

Last edited:

Densi

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
Germany
Cool

Just tried it, took about 3 minutes to export.

It'd be much less if iMovie was 64-bit, perhaps they'll update it with 64-bit (I thought it was 64-bit in the first place).

This is using the maxed out 21.5" iMac:
  • 3.4GHz i7
  • 1TB Fusion Drive
  • 16GB RAM
  • 512MB 650M

If you're keen to edit videos and want to simplicity of iMovie, I'd suggest you take a look at and think about investing in Final Cut Pro X.

Thank you for trying that. Sounds good. Fcpx is on my shopping list already. Going to order the same machine and looking forward to it.

Best regards
Daniel

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.