Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamilea

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
which cards can we substitute for the specs in my topic title?

Neodym

macrumors 68020
Jul 5, 2002
Depends on what you need / expect. If you can live without a bootscreen and don't need Apple's DVD player or steam games (both of the latter can be solved by installing an additional .kext), you can e.g. put a standard PC 6850/6870 in there (provided you purchase the required power cable(s) as well). Required: 10.6.8

You can also go for the original Apple 5770, which is more expensive than the cards mentioned above, but shows a boot screen and is running in the 1,1 despite Apple claiming it's only for later revisions.

Other options (XT1900, 8800GT and what else has been available in the MP officially from Apple) may not be that interesting for one reason or the other, but could be an option as well - sometimes flashing a graphic card or installing additional software may be required, though.

jamilea

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
Thanks sooooo much. $250 got us a 5770 from the apple store but we needed it today for work purposes. Hooked it up and it worked!

Only thing is it only had one monitor port so we have to get adapters for the mini ports to hook up another monitor. Hopefully that wont be expensive lol ugh. What a nightmare this was.Im so glad I posted here to ask. Apple kept telling usthey dont carry a card compatible with Mac Pro 1 so finally I said we didnt really care what they thought was compatible, that we are purchasing the 5770 from them, end of story. We werent asking them what they thought was compatible.

tyr2

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2006
Leeds, UK
Be careful with getting the right adapters when using a Apple retail 5770 in a Mac Pro 1,1 if you want to use 3 monitors.

Using MDP->VGA adapters works, however if I remember rightly using MDP->DVI adapters doesn't work when driving 3 monitors. Maybe dual link adapters would work but they cost a fortune.

If you just want to drive 2 monitors then using the regular DVI port and either type of MDP adapter works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.