Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
For $70 you could get a USB hub, an external optical drive, AND an external card reader.

If the 2010 continues to suit your needs, I'm happy for you, and you probably shouldn't upgrade; just don't pretend it's better.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
LMAO, wow you just made yourself look stupid. AAC files are compressed and are lossy. An Audio CD is superior to an AAC file in every way.

Yeah, I already admitted that I made a mistake, look above ;)

dfine1966

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
My question honestly though is why does the base model cost more now? Also why would they take away the ability for you to upgrade your Ram easily?

Honestly what is Apple really doing here?

To be honest, not able to add RAM yourself is a big deal. You now have to pay Apple high prices to get what you want in RAM. Also, the fixability of the new iMac's are almost impossible. If a hard drive fails, even Apple will have a hard time fixing it, because the screen is now glued in, not magnetized. The biggest complaint would be you have to buy everything you would want right off the bat, and hope nothing goes wrong.

dearlaserworks

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2012
Eastern Shore, USA
Audio CD is superior to an AAC file in every way.

Unless you're stuck on an island with the new iMac, your CD collection and no external drive. ;)

2. A non issue for the majority of all consumers. Use USB sticks instead. It's way faster and it's a lot more safe for storage than CD/DVD. I honestly don't know anyone in person who still uses CD/DVD's for anything.

I don't know anyone who uses USB sticks for anything anymore.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
To be honest, not able to add RAM yourself is a big deal. You now have to pay Apple high prices to get what you want in RAM. Also, the fixability of the new iMac's are almost impossible. If a hard drive fails, even Apple will have a hard time fixing it, because the screen is now glued in, not magnetized. The biggest complaint would be you have to buy everything you would want right off the bat, and hope nothing goes wrong.

Nonsense.

The iMac is not glued, they use foam adhesive tape which isn't that hard to remove, I have used the stuff a lot and it easier than you think.
In another thread yesterday or a day before someone opened it and says it all is much easier than people think.
And, if the panel is off you can upgrade RAM and the HDD.

And I think iFixit completely missed the boat by saying repairability 3/10, it should be more like 7/10.
Ram, not soldered.
Processor not soldered.
HDD, standard.
Tape, cheap to buy, 30 feet for a couple of dollars.
Tape is easy to remove.

js81

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
KY
It's not just an SSD remember. there is software involved.

I have no dog in this iMac fight at all, but this isn't right --> it IS just an SSD; the software is already there on every Mac with 10.8.2 installed. Proof? I just created my own Fusion drive on my 2009 Mac mini server with a 60GB SSD and 500GB hard drive. Works perfectly. So yeah, it is just an SSD because the software is already included.

VanKurt

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2012
Unless you're stuck on an island with the new iMac, your CD collection and no external drive. ;)

I don't know anyone who uses USB sticks for anything anymore.

Is there a better way to transfer several Gigabytes of data between two computers that aren't on the same network?
If so, please let me know ;-)

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Nonsense.

The iMac is not glued, they use foam adhesive tape which isn't that hard to remove, I have used the stuff a lot and it easier than you think.
In another thread yesterday or a day before someone opened it and says it all is much easier than people think.

And I think iFixit completely missed the boat by saying repairability 3/10, it should be more like 7/10.
Ram, not soldered.
Processor not soldered.
HDD, standard.
Tape is easy to remove.
That's great but when you take the iMac apart and replace the hard drive you have just voided your warranty.

sectime

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2007
Nonsense.

Ram, not soldered.
Processor not soldered.
HDD, standard.
Tape is easy to remove.
I use adhesive tape in my job. Once I learned to work with it, no problem. Heat gun is the new screwdriver in many industries times change. :cool:

dontpannic

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2011
Orpington, Kent, UK
Lots of people. Just because you don't doesn't mean everyone else doesn't.

With software available in the App Store and online, audio available on iTunes, movies available on iTunes, as a consumer I can't remember the last time I needed to use a DVD or CD. Obviously with the professional sector optical media is still used. Which is why Apple sell a USB Superdrive.

That isn't the point. You have to go out and buy one (you didn't for previous iMac), then you have to haul it out and plug it in every time you use it, then unplug it and put it away when you're done. In the meantime it still takes up desk space and a USB port when in use (something a built-in drive doesn't). In other words, a step backward from previous iMac.

Right.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-SE-...UE2O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354544036&sr=8-1

£20 for an external USB drive. If you're spending £1000+ on a PC, then a £20 optical drive is a drop in the ocean. You'll spend more on other accessories.

You have a bluetooth mouse, bluetooth keyboard (presumably, using the keyboard and mouse supplied with the machine). Even if it's wired, it would only take 1 USB socket, (Apple kit or wireless desktop sets). Presumably some sort of printer over USB, (or network), external storage. Even with all that I only count 3 USB's in total. I'm sure one could be used for an external USB DVD drive.

That's providing you're using it 24/7. If you're using it to watch a DVD or burn something, you can quite easily take it out of a drawer, plug it in and use it, and put it back in the drawer when you need to use the USB port for something else.

Then you'd agree he's right, from the perspective of the previous iMac, that represents a step back from the convenience of having the SD slot on the side.

It's a minor inconvenience. I wouldn't class it as a step back for the machine (which is what was stated in the first post) because there are so many new features that outweigh the loss of optical drive and the movement of the SD card slot.

I would say every Cd burned for audio reference as well as dvd I burn for clients + dvd rentals such as redbox which are well alive, I would say many people use optical disc drives.....

I mean you think downloading .mp3 is the same as a pro audio disc sound? Same with blu ray.....

As stated above, professionals obviously require optical drives still, which I accept. I was mainly talking consumers. Consumers won't give two ***** about pro-audio and will quite happily download music and videos from iTunes. They won't care that it's not pixel perfect BluRay quality. Heck, I even know people who can't tell the difference between SD and HD!
In which case, professionals can easily afford the £20 it costs for an external DVD drive and the "less than 10 seconds" of inconvenience of plugging the thing in.

sectime

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2007
I have no dog in this iMac fight at all, but this isn't right --> it IS just an SSD; the software is already there on every Mac with 10.8.2 installed. Proof? I just created my own Fusion drive on my 2009 Mac mini server with a 60GB SSD and 500GB hard drive. Works perfectly. So yeah, it is just an SSD because the software is already included.
Actually the proof was in the Keynote when the fusion drive was introduced. Your right, as was covered, the software is built in the OS.

kaelell

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2009
I dont understand the point of the original post. It wasnt even a question or informative post.

The rest of the topic has just the same posts a dozen other topics have discussing the exact same thing. De Ja vu..

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I dont understand the point of the original post. It wasnt even a question or informative post.

The rest of the topic has just the same posts a dozen other topics have discussing the exact same thing. De Ja vu..

I'm with you. This thread seems to lack merit.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"I don't know anyone who uses USB sticks for anything anymore."

I used one to backup an audio project yesterday.
I used one last night to transfer files from an older g4 to my MacBook Pro.
I used one to install bootable copies of the OS for Lion and Mountain Lion (for emergency purposes).

notguiltystyle

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2008
To me it’s blindingly obvious; I’m surprised there are so many folks on this forum trying to defend Apple for its iMacs losses. Don’t get me wrong I’m not trying to be a nay sayer, but real innovation should benefit the “consumer” not the “supplier at the cost of the consumer”.
The bottom line is: cutting cost and calling it innovation and I’m afraid that will be the future! This "lighter/thinner business" sure it’s great :rolleyes: , but trust me it benefits them much more than us. Saving money on using less components, less man power to produce, fewer things to go wrong (that optical drive must of been a real thorn in their sides), and of course it’s much cheaper to ship and distribute around the world. Other than the loss of the optical drive, multiple fans being removed, weaker speakers, the thing that gets me the most is the removal of those lovely magnets that held the screen in place and replacing it with cheap tape! Even on the iphone 5, removing that lovely piece of machined glass from the back panel and then claiming the phone was now x% lighter/thinner. Not that it cost them x% less to make, is now a cheaper build and that their profit margins will go up by X%! I suppose it’s the way business works and we just have to get use to it. I guess what I’m trying to say is that it gets me when they try to disguise their profit margin as innovation and fool many out there by doing so. I will still buy the new iMac as I do believe it’s still the best all in one on the market though.

sfilingeri

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2009
Richmond, Virginia
Also fair enough. Nevertheless, optical drives are legacy media and most of people out there just don't use any. I surely haven't touched an optical disk in over two years. My point is that complaining about the lack of ODD is like complaining about the lack of a tape media - both have their uses, but nowadays these are rather niche.

Wow I really cant believe people calling DVDs "legacy" and "most people just don't use"

http://www.the-numbers.com/dvd/charts/annual/2012.php

Make sure you read how many #1 DVDs sold, over 6 million units, and thats just ONE DVD TITLE, but yeah forget all the other thousands of thousands of DVDs out there that are selling millions of copies, but your right nobody buys that crap anymore.

Last edited:

Darby67

macrumors 6502
And yes, digital sound is better quality than the audio CD. Not necessarily MP3 (which suffer artefacts from the compression rate), but there are other audio formats out there as well. The 256kbps AAC files as offered via iTunes are better quality than an audio CD in every regard.

Huh? Further manipulated audio is better than the original? And a photograph of an original work of art is better than the original work of art.

Edit: just read the retraction.

Last edited:

Spungoflex

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2012
There will NEVER be an optical drive on a new iMac again. And I mean NEVER.

Enjoy your windows machines from here on out. They've got tiles!

bflowers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2006
What I don't understand why everyone is making a big deal about the optical drive ... Yes people still use CDs.. I use CDs and I just bought the SuperDrive for my imac and it delivered before my imac so I got a chance to check it out .. First off the SuperDrive's cost is ridiculous but it's very light and well thin... It would hardly take up any desk space and I don't see there being any problem dragging it out of the desk draw i mean c'mon it's no more the pulling out your phone out of your pocket and hooking up to the computer to charge or sync. Next the whole USB Problem,when was the last time u had all 4 USBs being occupied at one time ...

Well let me think...

•I now have 1 Superdrive, which I admit to using once a week most of the time, but occasionally use a dozen or more times in a given day.
•I currently have 3 external HDDs, all of which will have to be connected via USB, as they removed the Firewire ports.
•I have 2 printers, a laser and an all-in-one inkjet. While they can both print over the network, the all-in-one needs to be connected via USB to scan. If my old scanner still had updated drivers, I could move the all-in-one printer, but it wouldn't save me a USB slot.
•I have a camera card reader, which I would probably use if I had the open slots, as it would be easier to reach than the SD slot on the back.
•I have a mouse, which I use for specific tasks even though I prefer and purchased the trackpad. It happens to be a nice wireless one, but it has it's own transmitter.
•I have half a dozen USB stick drives, so I'll need a port open for plugging those in as needed.

So I guess I'm looking at buying a USB Hub, because several choices Apple made to make this iMac thinner limit my connection choices. I'm sure I'm not the only one that has more than four things to plug into the USB ports, so your argument isn't valid.

Last edited:

kaelell

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2009
Wow I really cant believe people calling DVDs "legacy" and "most people just don't use"

http://www.the-numbers.com/dvd/charts/annual/2012.php

Make sure you read how many #1 DVDs sold, over 6 million units, and thats just ONE DVD TITLE, but yeah forget all the other thousands of thousands of DVDs out there that are selling millions of copies, but your right nobody buys that crap anymore.

and how many of them watch DVDs on their computer instead of thier dvd £25 players, PS3's or Xbox's?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.