Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tuccillo

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
Hi Folks,

I know Apple is tight lipped about releases but are there any thoughts on when the next ATV will be released and what it may include over the current model? Trying to decide whether to buy now or wait a bit. Thanks.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Get one now. Apple is very clear about ATV being a hobby, and they probably won't do any hardware updates in 2013, and if they are, it's going to be in the very last quarter of next year. It's only $99, so it's an easy impulse buy without regret.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Get one now. Apple is very clear about ATV being a hobby, and they probably won't do any hardware updates in 2013, and if they are, it's going to be in the very last quarter of next year. It's only $99, so it's an easy impulse buy without regret.

good points. Plus, it already offers, IMO, the most it can for what it is. We have a fast enough processor, 5ghz wifi, and 1080P. Unless apple dials into the cable companies and offers a DVR, the best is already available. I don't know if they ever plan to add apps since you can airplay an ipad to it.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
good points. Plus, it already offers, IMO, the most it can for what it is. We have a fast enough processor, 5ghz wifi, and 1080P. Unless apple dials into the cable companies and offers a DVR, the best is already available. I don't know if they ever plan to add apps since you can airplay an ipad to it.

If they're going to add apps, it will be things like Amazon On Demand, Pandora, Rhapsody, Spotify, and things of that nature, and it will come in an update. Apple won't offer a DVR, they used to have a hard drive in the original ATV, but they took it out in favor of streaming.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
And they probably won't add amazon since they make competing devices. If you try to AirPlay amazon instant video you get sound with no video.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.