Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cochlearmom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2011
Hello,

I recently gave my brother my older PowerBook G4. He is a guitar player/singer and would like to record music using his computer. I'm pretty savvy with both hardware and software, but audio recording is way out of my element. He is beyond Garage Band, so that is not an option. I've searched for a program and have found Logic Express as one that will work on the PPC and it's still available for purchase on Amazon. He was leaning towards Pro Tools, but I'm not finding version 7.7 available for purchase, which seems to be the version that works on a PPC.

I appreciate any advice on what we should do or recommendations on other software that is still available for the PPC.

Thank you,
Erin

Ariii

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2012
Chicago
Hello,

I recently gave my brother my older PowerBook G4. He is a guitar player/singer and would like to record music using his computer. I'm pretty savvy with both hardware and software, but audio recording is way out of my element. He is beyond Garage Band, so that is not an option. I've searched for a program and have found Logic Express as one that will work on the PPC and it's still available for purchase on Amazon. He was leaning towards Pro Tools, but I'm not finding version 7.7 available for purchase, which seems to be the version that works on a PPC.

I appreciate any advice on what we should do or recommendations on other software that is still available for the PPC.

Thank you,
Erin

I might recommend Audacity for what you are doing... I started a thread here that might answer your question :).

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007
Audacity is more for working with recorded or rendered from MIDI audio files.

I use Sagan Technology Metro 6.5 as my main DAW for composing which still supports PPC. There is a SE version with an upgrade path to the other two versions. It's easy to learn and you and have direct support from the developer.

He's promising a major update to 7 before the end of the year with 20 new features.

http://www.sagantech.biz

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.