Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oceanhut

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2011
Hey Guys,

tried searching but couldnt find anything...apologize if i missed it....

I just picked up an iHome dock. I dock the iPhone on top, and want it to stay lit while its charging so that I can use the iPhone as a clock during the night.

as you know, the iPhone dims, and then locks after a certain period of time-- unless you switch it to "never."

at the risk of sounding lazy, I hate having to lock my phone now because it wont auto-lock since i switched that feature off due to the iHome.

Here is what I'm looking for...does it exist? : I need a clock app that will override the iPhone autolock/charge settings. So that when I plug in the iPhone to charge, it will automatically stay on. Conversely, when the iphone is not being charged, it will revert back to autolocking.

is there anything out there like this?

Troneas

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
At the alternatives section.
Third party app? Override? Lol not in Apple's world honey. Not even the Mayas predicted this would happen.

Best you can hope for is for an iOS update allowing the phone to remain unlocked whilst charging - but apple doesnt usually think of these conviniences.. They are too busy trying to discover the next big thing instead.

AlphaHumanus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2012
Most likely out of luck. Maybe with jailbreak?

My wife has her i4 set to never-lock. I hate it. I also compulsively lock my phone, even if it's in my hand, and I only looked away to speak to someone.

chambone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Netherlands
Fully automatic is probably not in the cards even if your phone is jailbroken. If it is however, you could install activator and set it up to disable/enable autolock from the lock screen very easily, so that you don't have to dig into the settings app.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Third party app? Override? Lol not in Apple's world honey. Not even the Mayas predicted this would happen.

Best you can hope for is for an iOS update allowing the phone to remain unlocked whilst charging - but apple doesnt usually think of these conviniences.. They are too busy trying to discover the next big thing instead.

They already have that option, it's called "never." You're probably correct though, Apple should come up with a option for every aspect of human laziness including telling you every button you push in case you're too lazy to look at the screen, a announcement of every percentage in battery drop and announcing the time every minute in case you're too lazy to check the time on your phone.

Feed Me

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Location Location
huh, I'm sure lots of "nightstand" apps have the option to stay awake all the time, and I know many. Hell, I have a TO DO app that does this.

Here's an example from an app called "Living Earth".

To get your autolock back, just close the app in the morning.

Attachments

• IMG_0594.PNG
    IMG_0594.PNG
    523.4 KB · Views: 164

Troneas

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
They already have that option, it's called "never." You're probably correct though, Apple should come up with a option for every aspect of human laziness including telling you every button you push in case you're too lazy to look at the screen, a announcement of every percentage in battery drop and announcing the time every minute in case you're too lazy to check the time on your phone.

stop trying to justify apple's inflexibility - its well known.

they didn't think it would be convenient for users not to have their phones locked in certain circumstances (e.g. when its charging) the same way they think weekends are the same as weekdays when they added the Do not Disturb feature.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
stop trying to justify apple's inflexibility - its well known.

they didn't think it would be convenient for users not to have their phones locked in certain circumstances (e.g. when its charging) the same way they think weekends are the same as weekdays when they added the Do not Disturb feature.

Didn't think that's what I was doing considering that option already exists. If you don't like how it's implemented that's one thing, but it's like complaining that your house doesn't automatically turn of the heat when you have the door open. Maybe that's something that you should be able to do...

Troneas

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
Didn't think that's what I was doing considering that option already exists. If you don't like how it's implemented that's one thing, but it's like complaining that your house doesn't automatically turn of the heat when you have the door open. Maybe that's something that you should be able to do...

how does it exist?

either its ON or its OFF. its either white or black.

the OP doesn't want to fiddle with his settings every time he docks the phone. savvy?

davehutch

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
Croxley, Herts
iHandy's Alarm Clock Pro is very good and has the feature you want

The setting allows you to set a separate Auto-lock option for Battery and Mains operation, so you can set it to not auto-lock when unplugged and auto-lock when plugged in.

Attachments

• 2012-12-03 18.21.13.jpg
    2012-12-03 18.21.13.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:

AlphaHumanus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2012
huh, I'm sure lots of "nightstand" apps have the option to stay awake all the time, and I know many. Hell, I have a TO DO app that does this.

Here's an example from an app called "Living Earth".

To get your autolock back, just close the app in the morning.

You get a cookie for actually being helpful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.