Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BRyken

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
So I've ordered my 2012 Mac Mini, should be here Wednesday!

I'd like to also purchase either a Thunderbolt Display or Apple Cinema Display 27". The question I have is which to get? Right now I don't have any Thunderbolt storage/devices, but obviously in the future this may be something I get. I'd like to remain some what future proof (no such thing), at least for a while which is why I'm leaning towards a TBD.

The panels used between the two are the exact same, but I could probably find a ACD for much cheaper (and can). Both I'd like to buy used, I see TBD going for 800-850 and ACD from 600-700.

Curious what you guys think?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
If you can swing it, I would get the TBD. Even if you have no TB devices now, the integrated USB ports, ethernet, and speakers are a nice feature.

I use my TBD attached to a MacBook Air and it works quite well.

BRyken

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
Yea. See it makes a ton of sense if you are using a MacBook Pro/Air, because you can connect all your peripherals to the monitor, and just have the TB and power to connect to dock your Mac.

But in the Mac Mini case, I'm not moving it around constantly, so unplugging things all the time isn't necessary.

A concern with going with the ACD is taking up the TB port. Are there HDMI-MiniDisplay port adapters to connect these two. Would there be any performance hit because of this.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Are there HDMI-MiniDisplay port adapters to connect these two. Would there be any performance hit because of this.

I have seen this from Kanex, but I think it is more made for use an Apple display with an XBox or similar. I'm not sure if it would work with a Mini. Maybe call Kanex?

With the cabling and cost of this though, you are sure eating into any savings by getting the ACD.

BRyken

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
Yea that's a good point. Didn't realize those would be so expensive.

Dr Charter

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
Oklahoma
I have seen other posts here from forum members using the Dell IPS displays. That might be an even less expensive option for you.

Those Dells are really nice for the money. I'll admit that I went with the ATD for the little Apple logo on the front more than anything else. The extra ports are nice but the mini already has ethernet and firewire, so those features aren't as useful if you're not docking an Air or rMPB.

BRyken

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
I have seen other posts here from forum members using the Dell IPS displays. That might be an even less expensive option for you.

Yea, I was looking at these two. They look really nice.

Those Dells are really nice for the money. I'll admit that I went with the ATD for the little Apple logo on the front more than anything else. The extra ports are nice but the mini already has ethernet and firewire, so those features aren't as useful if you're not docking an Air or rMPB.

I have to kind of agree with this. The TBD/ACD is expensive, but I really like the design, especially without the iMac chin. This is also why I'm looking to buy used.

cyclotron451

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2005
Europe
The ACD and TB displays are due for a silent USB3 makeover or a more radical iMac-like anorexia hit. I guess that the ACD is close to EOL, maybe the new display will be released with the eventual 2013 MacPro update?

I have the 27" cinema display at work and it is stunning, but for home I chose a Dell 24" eIPS.

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2011
Neither.

The TB display is an over-priced Thunderbolt hub. It's glossy screen and lack of any ergonomic adjustments except for a bit of tilt (which will come in handy to ease those nasty reflections from overhead lighting...) are deal-killers for me.

Take a look at NEC displays: Over 50 models, excellent quality, full ergonomic adjustments and a free four-year warranty. Top-notch customer service too.

The TB display is like the iMac: a testament to Apple's current obsession with form over function. I'm sure that Apple will sell a ton of them to people who value looks over features that are important if you spend all day actually working with a Mac.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Neither.

The TB display is an over-priced Thunderbolt hub. It's glossy screen and lack of any ergonomic adjustments except for a bit of tilt (which will come in handy to ease those nasty reflections from overhead lighting...) are deal-killers for me.

Take a look at NEC displays: Over 50 models, excellent quality, full ergonomic adjustments and a free four-year warranty. Top-notch customer service too.

The TB display is like the iMac: a testament to Apple's current obsession with form over function. I'm sure that Apple will sell a ton of them to people who value looks over features that are important if you spend all day actually working with a Mac.

Below are the only two monitors NEC sells that are 27" and 1560x1440. I would hardly call the TB display overpriced compared to these two. Now if you want smaller and lower res. and without an IPS display, no doubt there are many many cheaper options. But if you want to compare similar specs the TB display is not really that out of line on price. A Dell with the same specs as the TB Display is still $799.

If you don't care for the look or features of the TB Display, that is a personal choice... but I don't really think it is far off when comparing to other brands with the same specs.

GE1pN.png

Edde1

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2012
I use my mini 2012 with acd 27. Got it refurb for a good price. Damn its a good monitor worth the money. I have just a queation if someone know. When i look at a white page the monitor seams to have a yellow tind in the bottom part. If i tilt the the display and look from anothet angle its good. When i look at pictures or other colors i dont see any difference. Sorry for bad spelling:)

Jimpats

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2010
Refurbished ATB

Apple Store has refurbished TB for $829 with one year warranty, and if you are purchasing Apple Care for Mac Mini and purchase ATB/ACD display on same receipt as Mac Mini, it is also covered with 3 years AC under Mac Mini. This gives you best of both worlds. Cheaper price for a good display. Also if you go thru ShopDiscover and use your discover card you can get 5% cash back also.
:cool:
I just completed that purchase today. :)

chrise2

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
I got the Thunderbolt display. Its a super nice monitor. Like super duper nice. Yeah its $1000, but when you look at other monitors with the same size / resolution / IPS, its not so horrendously overpriced. It compliments the mini nicely as it gives you better speakers and the iSight camera.

It would be cool if those were USB 3 ports on the back, but I'll get over it. Doesn't matter with the mini much. however, if i replace the mini with a Macbook, that might bother me a bit.

Dduval

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2012
Good grief! The reviews at apples site are terrible on the TBD, wasn't expecting that as I was really thinking of getting one.

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2011
You (Don't) Get What You Pay For...

Below are the only two monitors NEC sells that are 27" and 1560x1440. I would hardly call the TB display overpriced compared to these two. Now if you want smaller and lower res. and without an IPS display, no doubt there are many many cheaper options. But if you want to compare similar specs the TB display is not really that out of line on price. A Dell with the same specs as the TB Display is still $799.

If you don't care for the look or features of the TB Display, that is a personal choice... but I don't really think it is far off when comparing to other brands with the same specs.

GE1pN.png

Yes, it's my personal choice... just like your opinion is your personal choice.

I was very specific in my previous post why I do not care for Apple's Thunderbolt display. Display specifications vs. cost is not the only consideration when comparing monitors. I do not mind paying more for a higher-quality product.

Many of the posts from TB display fans laud its looks. Yes, it is a typical pretty Apple design. If that is an important factor for you when selecting the TB display it is certainly your prerogative to do so.

BRyken

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
So I ended up opting for the Thunderbolt Display. I found one locally and talked the guy down to $750, and its only 5 weeks old. Can't beat that!

Love it so far!

chrise2

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
Yeah, the TB display is awesome. My only complaint is that I wish it had a video input other than Thunderbolt. If it could accept regular Display Port or DVI or something, they'd probably sell a lot more of these. I also looked all over and I can't find any kind of device that would convert the signal to something the TB display can take. Guess I'm locked into Apple for a while. Or I guess I sell the screen and mini if it ever came to that. I love that display though. I also saw a 13" retina MB Pro which is higher res than the 27" display. That looked sick. Now I want a 27" retina display. I'm sure that would be cheap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.