Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kat.hayes

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
I just switched from a iPhone 4S on VZW to a Note2. Here are my brief thoughts after two days of usage:

Things I miss about iPhone:

- iMessage 

- Wheres my iPhone app (I know there are some apps out there similar to this, though iCloud was so accessible via its web interface or another iOS decive
- A few apps not available on Android (I did not use them regularly so I guess no big deal)
- 
iOS email app - I like this much better so far than the stock Android mail app or K9
- 
I miss being able to double tap my home button to use Siri to send emails or texts, sVoice does not send emails

- Display colors - I like the display colors of the 4S better than the Note2

Things I like about the Note2:

- Haptic feedback

- Swype to type

- Screen size!

- Pop up windows of running apps while working in another app

- I like the appearance of home screen folders after placing apps in them (I always hated how plain app folders appear in iOS)

- Led notifications

- Notification symbols at the top of the screen

- Widgets

- Settings built into the apps

Things I don't like about the Note2:
- Preinstalled bloatware

- VZW logos

- Inconsistency with pinch to zoom where it works sometimes and not other times

- Inconsistency with how copy and paste works in different apps

There are obviously pros/cons between both devices/platforms, however, overall, I can not see myself using an iPhone5 sized screen after having the Note2 for two days....

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
I am really tempted to try out a note 2. I think the screen size is kind of excessive, but I don't really care and I think I might like it. I have been giving android a solid try on a nexus 7 for a few months now and I am starting to see where all my pros/cons are.

iOS lacks in some areas that I find unacceptable for an OS that is several years old at this point. It's the smoothest out there, it does everything I need it to do, but the notifications are atrocious (still) and the lack of even having the option for any kind of live icon is frustrating. Badges are annoying me a lot. Facetime is not an "open standard" as promised and the multitasking with skype and other video chat apps sucks. Android has Gchat which works with video flawlessly.

I would miss iTunes integration, native airplay, and tapping the status bar to jump to the top the most. But I am considering checking out a note 2 or maybe a GS4 when it drops. I agree, the iPhone 5 screen size is kind of a joke. It's like Apple knew it had to do something with the screen but it was too stubborn to give it an honest makeover.

Diseal3

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
I've had it for a few days. Phone is unbelievable minus the one hand use (even with the features) and the fact bootloader will be a pain to unlock (More a verizon issue). I'm gonna return it hold out for S4 instead. I think 4.8" - 5" screen size may be the better deal for me. If Verizon pulls this bootloader crap again I'm going back to AT&T.

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
Do you not know how to use google now? Why use S-voice?

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
- Notification symbols at the top of the screen

Actually, the whole pull-down top bar is a really neat feature: flick it down and you get notifications, quick settings buttons to toggle WiFi, GPS, Bluetooth Silent mode, adjust brightness etc. and a shortcut to the full settings.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I am really tempted to try out a note 2. I think the screen size is kind of excessive, but I don't really care and I think I might like it. I have been giving android a solid try on a nexus 7 for a few months now and I am starting to see where all my pros/cons are.

iOS lacks in some areas that I find unacceptable for an OS that is several years old at this point. It's the smoothest out there, it does everything I need it to do, but the notifications are atrocious (still) and the lack of even having the option for any kind of live icon is frustrating. Badges are annoying me a lot. Facetime is not an "open standard" as promised and the multitasking with skype and other video chat apps sucks. Android has Gchat which works with video flawlessly.

I would miss iTunes integration, native airplay, and tapping the status bar to jump to the top the most. But I am considering checking out a note 2 or maybe a GS4 when it drops. I agree, the iPhone 5 screen size is kind of a joke. It's like Apple knew it had to do something with the screen but it was too stubborn to give it an honest makeover.

What do you think is bad about the notifications? That is one of the things I missed the most when I tried out android. You get notifications on the lock screen and in the pull down....no lock screen notifications with android.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Samsung Dive is Samsung's answer to find my iPhone.

Can be accessed in the browser on any device and will show all of your Samsung devices. Don't think there's an app for it.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
What do you think is bad about the notifications? That is one of the things I missed the most when I tried out android. You get notifications on the lock screen and in the pull down....no lock screen notifications with android.

This may depend on the phone. But I'm pretty sure that's possible.

My gripe with apples notifications is the don't remind you in an app. I have to goto my home screen or pull down my notification bar to find out if I even have/had a notifications. When you get a notification it annoys me because I have the option of it being in my face or blocking up the top of the screen for a few seconds (I know you can swipe them left but that's still annoying). I hate those red notification icons! They drive me nuts, if I have an app that needs updating I will wait till I get home and update it, there is no way to temporarily ignore it. If I get an unimportant email I may want to just ignore that single email but no I have to open the email to "ignore" it.

I feel Apple notification system was crammed into iOS rather then the OS being built around it better. I can make it work but I don't think it holds a candle to the way android does it. That's just my opinion though.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England

My gripe with apples notifications is the don't remind you in an app. I have to goto my home screen or pull down my notification bar to find out if I even have/had a notifications. When you get a notification it annoys me because I have the option of it being in my face or blocking up the top of the screen for a few seconds (I know you can swipe them left but that's still annoying). I hate those red notification icons! They drive me nuts, if I have an app that needs updating I will wait till I get home and update it, there is no way to temporarily ignore it. If I get an unimportant email I may want to just ignore that single email but no I have to open the email to "ignore" it.

I feel Apple notification system was crammed into iOS rather then the OS being built around it better. I can make it work but I don't think it holds a candle to the way android does it. That's just my opinion though.

You could just ACTUALLY ignore them. :p

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

makes sense. I actually like the badge notification system, and much prefer it to android. Reminders, gmail chats, VIP emails....they all show on my lockscreen and it was something I really missed.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
You could just ACTUALLY ignore them. :p

Lol true, I could but I think it's really ugly to look at, IMO it only takes a missed call/voicemail, couple messages, couple emails, some FB notifications and a app update to make my home screen look like total crap. I'm on my phone quite a bit for work and socially I don't care if there is a new version of find my friends.

I love with Android that they don't effect the look of a clean home screen. And I can flick away things I want to check later.

My phone of choice is a 4S so I'm not saying that the iOS way is completely terrible just that Androids way is the way I prefer it.

Edit: As I was about to send this in tapatalk a message and two emails came threw. I tried to swipe at them but it registered as a click so it opened the email app. That's what I mean by finding it annoying.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Do you not know how to use google now? Why use S-voice?

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Svoice is good with texting, callng, weather, opening apps, and navigation. No need to touch the screen even once. Svoice just needs better voice recognition.

Mxbzz

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
Lol true, I could but I think it's really ugly to look at, IMO it only takes a missed call/voicemail, couple messages, couple emails, some FB notifications and a app update to make my home screen look like total crap. I'm on my phone quite a bit for work and socially I don't care if there is a new version of find my friends.

I love with Android that they don't effect the look of a clean home screen. And I can flick away things I want to check later.

My phone of choice is a 4S so I'm not saying that the iOS way is completely terrible just that Androids way is the way I prefer it.

Edit: As I was about to send this in tapatalk a message and two emails came threw. I tried to swipe at them but it registered as a click so it opened the email app. That's what I mean by finding it annoying.

I wish there were an easier way to clear badge notifications on iOS. I always hated it when I received a notification from Chase bank regarding a deposit and I would have to log in and go through various menus to clear it.
I mean, I could then off the badge notifications but if there were an option to clear them all in one button, I'd be a happy camper.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.