Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EhsanAhmad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2009
I bought a verizon iPhone 5 from the apple store at full price as I visiting and called verizon to have a prepaid plan activated on the iPhone 5 and the sales guy said I can't activate my iPhone 5 with verizon on a prepaid plan even though I paid the full price for the phone already he wanted me to signal for a contract which I can't because I don't have a bank account or SSN here is this for real ?

Jtludwig

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2012
I bought a verizon iPhone 5 from the apple store at full price as I visiting and called verizon to have a prepaid plan activated on the iPhone 5 and the sales guy said I can't activate my iPhone 5 with verizon on a prepaid plan even though I paid the full price for the phone already he wanted me to signal for a contract which I can't because I don't have a bank account or SSN here is this for real ?

Verizon doesn't do prepaid IPhones so yeah it is.

You'll have to go with s GSM provider such as Straight Talk or NET10.

bidwalj

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2007
It will be a postpaid account but you will not be locked into a contract.

josh995

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2012

Well you wouldn't have to sign a contract since you already have a phone but you do need an SSN to sign up for service. Try doing AT&T prepaid or t-mobile I think the Verizon iPhone works on both

EhsanAhmad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2009
sorry about the typos in the original post i was typing from my phone and half asleep, i was trying to get a verizon plan because of the 4G service i dont think any other networks will even give me good 3G, which other networks would be able to give out good internet speeds on the verizon iPhone 5 ?

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
No offense, but wouldn't you have called Verizon first to ensure they would/could provide you service before you bought a phone?

gfunk1122

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2010
Without a social you would have to pay a $400 security deposit and you would be on a regular postpaid account. The good news is after a year of not being late on a payment they pay you back plus like 3% interest.

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
Verizon does do prepaid on the iPhone, just the 4 and 4s are capable of working on their 80 dollars per month plan.

Jtludwig

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2012
It will be a postpaid account but you will not be locked into a contract.

You can't get a postpaid acct without some sort of credit check (requires Ssn) or a deposit.

It doesn't matter if he is locked into a contract or not.

----------

just make up a ssn,,, they have no way of checking...

Dumbest post so far today. Of course they check it.

----------

No offense, but wouldn't you have called Verizon first to ensure they would/could provide you service before you bought a phone?

You would of thought so...considering how much a full price Iphone 5 costs.

Bob Coxner

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2011
sorry about the typos in the original post i was typing from my phone and half asleep, i was trying to get a verizon plan because of the 4G service i dont think any other networks will even give me good 3G, which other networks would be able to give out good internet speeds on the verizon iPhone 5 ?

You can use an iPhone with PagePlus and they use the Verizon network. It's a prepaid carrier, so no problem if you don't have a SSN.

http://pageplusiphone.net/

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Overseas customers coming into the States find U.S. cellular carriers a convoluting exercise. This case in point. Somewhere else, the guys pays cash, even a debit card, DONE. SSN? WTF.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
So where are all of the "What did you think, that the US Govt. doesn't track you?" posts? :p

Wouldn't iPhone 5 work with Metro PCS?

----------

Overseas customers coming into the States find U.S. cellular carriers a convoluting exercise. This case in point. Somewhere else, the guys pays cash, even a debit card, DONE. SSN? WTF.

And incredibly expensive. I remember getting 3g, 3000+ minutes, free incoming calls, .20/sol texts for $30? in Peru if I remember right.

EhsanAhmad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2009
Without a social you would have to pay a $400 security deposit and you would be on a regular postpaid account. The good news is after a year of not being late on a payment they pay you back plus like 3% interest.

and how do i get them to do that ? when i called them the sales people were very rude and when i told them i dont have a SSN he just said well call us back when you do have one and just hung up !

Reaper0bot0

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2010
Verizon now does support the iPhone 4 or iPhone 4S on prepaid. This started rather recently. They do not support the iPhone 5 on prepaid, however. I don't think they support any 4G phones on prepaid yet.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
If you want a prepaid iPhone 5 then I say return it to apple and buy the GSM to use with another network. You have 30 days from date of purchase.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.