Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
Do you think a case is necessary with the iPhone 5? I have a hard plastic case that basically covers the back and sides but I've always preferred not to use a case. Anyone going without?

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
I'm not even sure I can get this case off. It covers the back and sides and wraps around the corners.

I think I'll leave it for now and now risk damaging the phone by trying to remove it.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Do you think a case is necessary with the iPhone 5? I have a hard plastic case that basically covers the back and sides but I've always preferred not to use a case. Anyone going without?
Subjective as always. Do whatever works for you.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
Personally I don't like cases. But then again I'm always careful with my phones. :D

Again that's why they are called "accidents"

I have a case because of they type of work I do. The guys at work have iPhones and so many of them have cracked screens. I really wish Apple would use Gorilla Glass on the iPhone.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008

I've gone without a case on my white one since I got it. It has held up really well, much better than the black one (which I returned after a week).

But getting a case now, think with winter coming up, it needs the extra protection outdoors - and for using with gloves on.

Dlcinnc

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2011
Having the same thoughts myself. Love the look without but scared of mishaps. Do the invisible shield protectors offer any protection against drops or are they only good for scratches? Any better than others?

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
For the first couple days of owning my iPhone 5, I didn't have a case on it. I have since purchased a cheap slim case on eBay, since I'm not a big fan of bulky cases. I would be fine without having a case on my iPhone, but I like having a case on just for piece of mind (not that the slim case really protects my phone).

DeeEss

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2011
My first iPhone 5, the paint fell off pretty quickly. Apple replaced it but said use a case if you want it to remain unscratched.

I bought a Calypso Case. The Zurich Night "Ring" Case. It's as nice as the phone itself and being a slip case it means you get to hold the phone as a naked device too, which is the way it should be I think. So you get the best of both worlds. It's extremely well protected the rest of the time.

The case is so beautiful. I can't stop touching it (it feels as good as my girl friends inside thigh :)) and it's high quality Italian leather so smells divine too. I've never been this enamoured by a case!

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I'd say go for a case. I've used my iPhone 5 for 2 weeks now and it's holding up pretty good (I carry it in my back pocket). But I'm noticing the silver Apple logo on the back, because of how flush the back is when you set it down, is getting scratched - it spends a lot of time on a desk in front of my keyboard.

I'm getting a case. Opted for the SPIGEN SGP Ultra Thin Air.

Having used an iPhone 4s without a case for a year (bought an iSkin, liked it for awhile but it just made it too thick).... I'm not all thrilled about a case but if I'm going to keep the 5 for 2 years it's necessary.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
I'm not a fan of cases but I went with the spigen ultra thin case. It doesn't add ny bulk and you can still see the phone for all its beauty.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
I've been using mine without a case since release, and it's definitely got a bit of wear and tear despite being as careful as possible. It's nothing horrible, really, but it doesn't look as good as it used to. The chamfered edge is the real killer.

TallGuy1970

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
My iPhone 5 is naked... sort of. I do not have it in a case, but I wear a suit to work and I do not like how it sits or how it looks in my pocket. So, I carry it in a holster on my hip when not using it at work.

WesCole

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
No case for me. The white phone seems to be holding up well.

Same for me. I keep it in my pocket and on my desk while at work. When it is in my pocket, I occasionally will bump into something and it will hit the iPhone or I will catch myself leaning against something and putting pressure on the phone. It still looks new, though.

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2012
I keep mine in a soft rubber frosted clear case. I plan on keeping it for as long as possible so it needs to stay in great condition

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.