Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jjhoekstra

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2009
What are your opinions on screen size for non-retina MBPs?

13" seems like the perfect size for portability, but I find myself wishing I had a bigger screen. The larger 15" model is nice, but I don't know if it is worth the extra expense and decrease in portability. The 17" model WAS pretty awesome to look at, but I could see no reason someone would buy that if it wasn't going to sit on a desk most of the time.

What are your thoughts? How do you use your 13/15/17?

I had to go from an 13" Air to a 15" rMBP for performance reasons (the discrete grafix unit) and I hated the size of the 15" rMBP. For about 5 minutes. And than I was used to it, and I got hooked to my rMBP. I love it!

minifridge1138

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2010
well that real reason is because they are still in the testing, developing and refining stage for larger display panels - thats all. have some faith in a giant tech innovator as :apple: is.

plus/besides - it is a PROsumer thing, we just understand these things.

..thanks..

<sarcasm>
I completely agree. They'll launch the retina 17" at the same time they launch the retina Xserve.
</sarcasm>

it's a personal preference thing. What you like, others may hate.

CirrusPilot

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2012
When the 17" was out, I hardly ever saw any. In a class of 180, there were maybe 2 people with a 17" MBP. 85% had 13", several 13" airs, and a few 15" models.

I don't think the 17" would really ever catch on as a "portable" laptop. Sure, you might bring it to the coffee shop occasionally, but if you are trying to lug it to class, or all over airports, it doesn't matter how strong and manly you are, it is going to wear on you.

ssmed

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2009
UK
Some thoughts

For me, the 13 inch air and low resolution 15 inch cMBP are the minimum that I can cope with. The 13 inch rMBP is lovely to look at, but every now and again you have to increase the resolution to get enough screen estate.

Overall I would say overall the 13 rMBP is better than the 15 cMBP which is better than the 13 MBA, with the 13 inch cMPB being too inflexible for my needs.

The higher resolution 15 cMBP is a good option in that you are getting real benefit from the extra weight and can pick the non-glare option.

We have never used the 17 inch here to compare. We have two 11 inch MBAs in the group, but they are too small for me.

michial

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2009
Unless you are very frail the weight of a 15 inch classic mbp is the same as a large college text book. Its not a big deal literally. the difference between it and a 13 is very negligible. All the extras in screen,processor, gpu, etc are worth the price. But if you don't need that get the 13. But if you want that power go for it. I have a 15 and throw it in my backpack. Piece of cake. The form factor on even a classic is still a very thin profile compared to a lot of pro type laptops. I think weve been so spoiled that if it isnt an 11 inch air its so heavy when it really isnt a big deal. Maybe its good for us to get a little workout.

dkersten

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2010
I use my 13" cmbp for going places and whatever you know what im sayin? And I use my acer for power. My acer is like 17" big you know? I usually have my acer sittin at my desk y'know? My acer I do bring places also, but mainly my 13" cmbp you know?

I'm not sure I do know. Could you explain it once more?
I all seriousness I like your setup though. I think 13in is perfect especially if you have another more powerful system at your disposal.

To the OP do you value screen size or portability more? Have you considered an external display that you can "dock" your laptop with?

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
For me, it's not about weight, it's about physical size and spec.

- do you need/want to open up your laptop on an economy flight or on public transport?
- do you need screen real estate for what you do?

An MBA 11" is perfect for using on a plane. A 15" sucks in economy - it's not really usable at all due to the lack of space.

But - trying to run Xcode on an 11" screen just totally sucks.

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
exactly it is a portable office work horse..

When the 17" was out, I hardly ever saw any. In a class of 180, there were maybe 2 people with a 17" MBP. 85% had 13", several 13" airs, and a few 15" models.

I don't think the 17" would really ever catch on as a "portable" laptop. Sure, you might bring it to the coffee shop occasionally, but if you are trying to lug it to class, or all over airports, it doesn't matter how strong and manly you are, it is going to wear on you.

The 17" MBP was innovated as a 'game changer', you gotta change your whole perspective on productivity and professionalism as an artist/developer/designer/gamer, because the technology enables you to expand your scope of vision and reach new horizons. It wasn't made for the average consumer at the least, it was aimed at the PROsumers and developers absolutely.

When you are a working professional in the creative and production fields, you don't expect your instrument to be slim and light, on the contrary, you prepare yourself and make space to accommodate productivity with this machine.

It is an all in own power house, so for instance when I travel by air, I make sure I get first class if it is crunch time and I have to complete major projects while on tour or going from one residency to another across many continents. I rarely use it at a cafe because that is just stupid, for me a cafe is not a place of work, it is a place of calm or socialization period with close friends, colleagues and best of all to people watch!

So you have think of the 17" MBP as not like the other pros because it is a truly professional and premium portable notebook, not a status and practical for just everyday tasks, when there are plenty of more powerful and cheaper competition out there, people go for mac because of prestige.

It isn't just a learning tool, it is something you learn to create with. It is the PRO of the pros, so there is absolutely no comparing. This isn't a thread about comparing it is a thread about absolute defining of what is ultra portable and what is ultimate portable. You can't compare sales between the notebooks because there are just more CONsumers than there are PROsumers just face reality.

So the song goes, I'm sure -- Apple is developing and innovating on a larger retina display.

.. Thank you ..

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
...plus/besides - it is a PROsumer thing, we just understand these things.

..thanks..

Not enough "PROsumers" bought Apple's previous 17" MacBook Pro so it was cancelled. Besides, with the Ability to now have 17" resolutions with the Retina 15", a 17" isn't as necessary.

Thanks.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
15" and 17" machines are portable desktop replacements, essentially.

Yes, they're portable and can be used on the move, but its not what they're good at.

They're more for lugging from location to location and working at a desk - they're more convenient than carrying an iMac around, and almost as powerful.

The 13" and 11" are more practical to work away from a desk with.

Liquinn

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011
15" and 17" machines are portable desktop replacements, essentially.

Yes, they're portable and can be used on the move, but its not what they're good at.

They're more for lugging from location to location and working at a desk - they're more convenient than carrying an iMac around, and almost as powerful.

The 13" and 11" are more practical to work away from a desk with.
I've a fair few Apple products (for this thread, are below).

13" MBP
Two iPads
One iPhone

And I do use a Windows laptop in my set-up too, which is a 15" - so all is covered. :p

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
Not enough "PROsumers" bought Apple's previous 17" MacBook Pro so it was cancelled. Besides, with the Ability to now have 17" resolutions with the Retina 15", a 17" isn't as necessary.

Thanks.

Just enough PROsumers "bought" enough 17", they last and last, it isn't a trendy notebook, to replace every other month as an accessory to your look, so the Pros hung on to their machines and because it was extremely user upgradeable, meant you didn't have to keep buying em every year nor did apple have to constantly refresh them. I read somewhere the 17 inchers sold more than Mac Pros.

Fact is Apple made just enough of the 17" MBPs for the modest Pro demand they projected they'd receive okay?! It wasn't like they "LOST" money common people HAHAHAHAAAA !!! "Oh they made over 15 million dollars on the 17" well what a loss!"

I saw 17" MBPs everywhere before I finally got mine in late 2006, I continue to see them everywhere I go since, they are here to stay and new ones I am certain are on their way regardless of what your preferences are, there has to be a PRO machine for the Pros out there period.

It is an extremely portable and reliable and durable powerful notebook computer for the Pros.

As for screen real estate, don't even go there, I had a maxed out 15" retina macbook next to my 17" MBP, I'm near sighted and I had to squint more to view the retina display at an arms length from the two displays side by side the 17 inch screen was clear, crisp and bright. The retina is only just best with the 'best for retina' setting.

Grow some muscles people the 17" isn't a burden weight at all and I'm a tiny female - and on top of that - be continuously productive everyone.

Thanks.

Last edited:

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
If Apple made enough profit from them, the 17"s would not have been discontinued. They were discontinued, so why would Apple bring them back? 'Because Retina' isn't enough of a reason because it doesn't address the fact that not enough people bought them to keep them around in the first place, and this is considering the 17" made it from powerbook to MacBook pro

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.