Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

koios

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2010
As much as I'd like to see Logic Pro X -
what about Aperture? IMO the much more pressing matter...

nilk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
It blows my mind that a popular "pro" app like Logic has the problem that you can't do undo settings in instruments/plugins (it instead undoes whatever your last action was that was not in an instrument/plugin, which is often not what I meant to do). I used Logic for a while until I started to get more into sound design, then quickly got very annoyed that it made experimenting so difficult (I'd workaround this by saving, and then restoring from the saved project if my experimentation didn't work out, but that got old quickly). It's surprising that so many people are willing to put up with that, and that I don't hear this complaint often.

I've since switch to Ableton Live and am much happier. Undo works fine pretty much everywhere (including 3rd party plugins), and there's various other reasons why I like it better than Logic. I understand Logic does have it strengths of course, especially with MIDI, but I'm not going back to it unless they at least fix the undo issue. Edit: and seeing where upcoming Ableton Live 9 is going, Logic X would have to be pretty amazing for me to consider a switch back.

Last edited:

powers74

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2008
At the bend in the river
I think Apple would do good to start a blog.

On this blog, discuss current projects, what might becoming in the future, etc.

It would definitely put at ease people who think their favorite product is no longer being supported. In my particular case, I'd love to hear an update on how the development of the next Mac Pro is going, if it's even going at all.

Too much secrecy can be bad too. There needs to be a balance somewhere between complete silence and telling all.

Or you could just shoot them an email & find out.

Rufuss Sewell

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
Austin, TX
Ruffus you are very very lucky. It's a terrible problem for the folks that have it. I have it occurring on my mid 2012 Mac Pro with 28 GB of memory and SSD drive.

I'm sure I could google it, but I'm curious what is laggy? UI? Maybe it's a graphics issue. The rMBP has pretty amazing graphics capabilities so that might be it. I'm just using a USB 3 HD for audio. SSD for system.

The Wedge

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2009
I see Logic is now $199. When did that happen? I paid $500 a few years ago. Wasn't it $1000 at one point?

----------

I'm sure I could google it, but I'm curious what is laggy? UI? Maybe it's a graphics issue. The rMBP has pretty amazing graphics capabilities so that might be it. I'm just using a USB 3 HD for audio. SSD for system.

For starters, when I hit record there is a delay of a few seconds. Something I never had before Mountain Lion.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
Oh my i cant even express my anticipation/excitement for the next Logic.

djarpit

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2009
I see Logic is now $199. When did that happen? I paid $500 a few years ago. Wasn't it $1000 at one point?

----------

For starters, when I hit record there is a delay of a few seconds. Something I never had before Mountain Lion.

I was able to run 30/40 tracks of Au without problems in SL and in ML... 10 tracks and it starts having diarrhea

OtherJesus

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2005
Bay Area, California
How will this be handled if you purchased through the App Store? Just have to purchase the entire version as a new piece of software? They really need a paid upgrade mechanism for the App Store.
I've wondered about this too. But we were already paying $299 to upgrade Logic when it was boxed, which is what it's now selling for in the App Store.

Edit- or is it $199 now? I've been using Logic since 2.6 so buying Logic X will be my first App Store experience.

Last edited:

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Didn't they recently just purchase an Italian DAW Developer?

Yup they bought Redmatica's assets ..yet why let that stop yet another silly rumor?

Last time they were "hard at work" for a long time we ended up with the Final Cut Pro X debacle... Let's hope things turn out a little better this time.

Final Cut Pro X is becoming pretty solid now in version 10.0.6. I don't think Logic Pro needs nearly as much work to bring it forward.

As much as I'd like to see Logic Pro X -
what about Aperture? IMO the much more pressing matter...

What's missing in Aperture?

----------

Logic Pro is a steal now. Less than many plugins in cost. Can't wait for the update but i'm not getting a new iMac until spring anyways so timing should be great.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
I think Apple would do good to start a blog.

On this blog, discuss current projects, what might becoming in the future, etc.

It would definitely put at ease people who think their favorite product is no longer being supported. In my particular case, I'd love to hear an update on how the development of the next Mac Pro is going, if it's even going at all.

Too much secrecy can be bad too. There needs to be a balance somewhere between complete silence and telling all.

Absolutely. Secrecy is understood with products like the iPhone/iPad and Macs. But why can't they be more transparent with their software development efforts? Uncertainty is not a good thing in this case.

And where the heck is the new iWork? :mad:

Rufuss Sewell

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
Austin, TX

I paid $1000 for L7 in 2005. I'd be more than happy to pay the full $200 for LX.

As for lag, this happened to me in like 2008. Have you trashed prefs and reinstalled from scratch? Fix permissions?

Maybe try turning off/on punch on the fly? It happened to me once and it was a simple fix. Can't remember now though.

----------

I love the look and feel of FCPX. I really hope LPX gets a similar treatment.

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
Last time they were "hard at work" for a long time we ended up with the Final Cut Pro X debacle... Let's hope things turn out a little better this time.

My sentiment also.

You're correct. It happened last year when they started selling it exclusively through the App Store.

nilk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
As for an iPad/iPhone interface... I'm not sure why this wasn't offered in 2007. It's a no brainer that would make Logic users buy iDevices, and iDevice users buy Logic.

TouchOSC and the others are pretty great, but Apple should make a perfectly integrated solution.

Just turn it on and everything has two way communication. Even audio.

Imagine editing on the livingroom couch or dinner table with headphones while your Mac Pro is providing the horsepower.

Also innovative touch screen editing that can't be done with a mouse. Bring it on!!!

What Apple really needs to do with iOS devices is add ethernet-over-USB or some way of communicating with the host machine over USB. Even with TouchOSC/Lemur/etc you have to either choose between using wifi (unreliable, potentially introducing latency), using the iPad connection camera kit with a MIDI adapter (low-latency, reliable, but it has to run on battery), or jailbreaking and hacking tethering or something (unsupported).

Of course they could add their own proprietary USB communication method that is exclusive to Logic, but I'd like for them to offer this up to any developer to use, basically making iOS devices low-latency peripherals. Is there a way to do this that I just don't know about?

Of course the option to use wifi should be there, but using wifi for what you are talking about (as in your couch/dinner table concept with the Mac doing all the work, sending control events from the iOS device and streaming rendered audio back from the Mac) will be fraught with latency issues.

realtwang

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2010
No mention of the fact that Logic Pro suffers crippling lag issues with Lion and mostly Mountain Lion... grrr.... I know they are working hard to fix it, but it seems daunting sometimes.

I second that. That issue (which there is a 36 page thread about at Logic Pro Forums) really makes the program unusable for me for now.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
----------
[/COLOR]I love the look and feel of FCPX. I really hope LPX gets a similar treatment.

I'm guessing that the LPX upgrade won't be huge but will change so that it almost looks like you could easily touch every feature. Looking at iTunes 11 and FCPX leads me to believe that we're going to see Pro Audio and Video iOS apps within the next 18 months.

The UI will be as similar as can be feasibly done across OS X and iOS versions.

Rufuss Sewell

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
Austin, TX
Latency isn't an issue with an adhoc network connection. It's already fast and stable with TouchOSC and midi controllers. Apple could perfect it I'm sure.

Flood123

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
Living Stateside
I am SOOOO looking forward to seeing what they have up their sleeves with this update. My bet is that it will be released around the time of the Mac Pro refresh(or replacement).

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
I'm guessing that the LPX upgrade won't be huge but will change so that it almost looks like you could easily touch every feature. Looking at iTunes 11 and FCPX leads me to believe that we're going to see Pro Audio and Video iOS apps within the next 18 months.

The UI will be as similar as can be feasibly done across OS X and iOS versions.

Agree completely. Don't forget to add Pro photography apps to that list too. Once Apple transitions their iOS devices to ARM64, I think we'll see that happen.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Cubase 7 releases on December 5th.
http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/cubase/whats_new.html

hard to see how Logic X will top it.

I've moved back to Win/Cubase this year after sadly resigning to the fact that Apple's focus is now on consumers/IOS/iMacs rather than on its pro users.

Logic users tend to be pretty loyal. Plus if Apple didn't care about audio production they wouldn't have purchased Redmatica's software. Clearly they want to integrate better sample editing tools the the Logic arsenal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.