Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CBlasek

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2006
Has anyone had their power button not work on their 27" imac? Mines under warranty until March and its just started to happen. I was able to get it to work by pushing it in and rotating, but now its under the metal being held in. I want to get this fixed - will they replace the imac or fix the power button?

If they are going to replace - should I wait until the new ones released or is there no chance for an upgrade?

bflowers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2006
If they are going to replace - should I wait until the new ones released or is there no chance for an upgrade?

I very much doubt you would get an upgrade. I've seen people claim they got back better than they sent in, but I suspect the few that are true, are simply minor bumps over what they had. No one is going to mistake last model for this one when they repair your power button. Just get it fixed before the continually depressed button starts causing random shutdowns.

CBlasek

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2006
I very much doubt you would get an upgrade. I've seen people claim they got back better than they sent in, but I suspect the few that are true, are simply minor bumps over what they had. No one is going to mistake last model for this one when they repair your power button. Just get it fixed before the continually depressed button starts causing random shutdowns.

Thats what I figured. Already made a genius bar appointment. Thanks for the insight!

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
I had much bigger problems with my 24" iMac. Video flickering, that was fixed and next I had racing fans. I was back and forth to the Apple store (3 miles from my house) 3 or 4 times before they gave in and replaced it (2010 27" iMacs at the time) I was able to pay $400 to go from what they offered me to the top i7 available at that time, as my 24" was not the top of the line when I bought it.

In short, it takes a while to get them to replace the computer. In my case, it was racing fans that they replaced most of the computer trying to fix and still couldn't fix it. But it took close to a month so you might as well take it in for the first repair. ;)

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
I think only times apple replace a product is when it's hard to fix or more expensive to fix than to replace. I doubt a power button is something thats mote expensive to fix :)

CBlasek

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2006
I took this over to the Apple store today. They tried to tell me I broke it by pushing it in - kindly pointed out that their phone support guys said to try pushing it in, which resolved it. He still didnt grasp that it if it wasnt broke to begin with, there was no reason to push it in - but after speaking to manager said they would warranty it but they have to replace the entire enclosure! Original quote 190, covered under AppleCare!

abatareika

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2008
My Russian Way

Well, I have this issue now. I checked forums and all suggestions (twist the button, put the imac up side down etc). none helped. Took it to Apple Tech shop. They told me I need to replace the whole casing which is officially 350 Euro plus 400 Euro labor. 750 Euro in total. I found one cheaper solution and if it works I will post it here on Friday night.

jasondainter

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2014
Hey abatareika did you have any luck with this in the end with the other solution you mentioned?

I have the exact same issue. Imac 27inch bought in September 2012. Looks like I may have had a powercut (unsure) but i came back to my flat to find the imac turned off completely.

The issue is that the button no longer works in the same way it used to. Previously when pressing the button I recall (maybe something with a working button could confirm) you get a slight soft 'click' as if the button feels like it is being pressed in. Now it remains extremely hard and pressing the button is very stiff and fails to make the same click, as if the button is somehow jammed.

It seems many many people have had similar issues to this and the apple support threads report this also.

Since my unit is 2 years old I am claiming EU consumer law to get it fixed, but annoyingly I now live in Sweden, Apple basically told me despite them having shops right down the road from me I would have to send the entire unit in, have someone in the UK walk into a store in a genuis bar, and can give me no guarentees that it will be covered or not.

Its a bit of a joke. For such an expensive bit of kit you think Apple would at least publically announce that this is clearly a hardware fault.

Does anyone else have any experiences of this?

insane79

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2008
Hey abatareika did you have any luck with this in the end with the other solution you mentioned?

I have the exact same issue. Imac 27inch bought in September 2012. Looks like I may have had a powercut (unsure) but i came back to my flat to find the imac turned off completely.

The issue is that the button no longer works in the same way it used to. Previously when pressing the button I recall (maybe something with a working button could confirm) you get a slight soft 'click' as if the button feels like it is being pressed in. Now it remains extremely hard and pressing the button is very stiff and fails to make the same click, as if the button is somehow jammed.

It seems many many people have had similar issues to this and the apple support threads report this also.

Since my unit is 2 years old I am claiming EU consumer law to get it fixed, but annoyingly I now live in Sweden, Apple basically told me despite them having shops right down the road from me I would have to send the entire unit in, have someone in the UK walk into a store in a genuis bar, and can give me no guarentees that it will be covered or not.

Its a bit of a joke. For such an expensive bit of kit you think Apple would at least publically announce that this is clearly a hardware fault.

Is your the late 2012 slim 27" iMac? i thought the 27" where only available in early jan 2013..

Steve phillips

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2015

Steve phillips

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2015
I also have the same problem. After taking my imac 27 inch back to the store they told me problem was power supply. And would replace this. Then a phone call to tell me me it is the power button thats broken and would cost £238 + vat to fix as warranty now expired. After quoting consumers law was told because I have not reported within 2 years that does not stand. If unit on others imac are still happening this must be a hardware problem. Any others had probs with power buttons

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.