Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stonyboys

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
No one knows for sure...except me!!

My inside sources have told me that the next generation iPhone is coming in....

AARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!

(Death is penalty for violating NDA...this poster is dead!)

;) :p

Good thing you added those smilies at the end! I thought you were serious until I saw them.

Booji

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2011
Tokyo
Pretty much this. This is what investors want to see over the next 2 years, and the board very much knows it. I would be very surprised if we didn't see the schedule I described a few posts back. The iphone is Apple's cash cow, and given the losses in market share as of late, 2 years is just not going to cut it this time around.

Again, the 6 is going to be a marked departure from previous re-designs and they are going to take a gamble with it in some form or another . The screen will definitely stay at 4", but we're going to see some major new kind of functionality not seen in other phones. In 2 years time, they won't be able to afford to play it safe anymore. They need to protect their cash cow, and the board understands this.

TL;DR: The iphone 6 is going to have to be able to cook you breakfast if it wants to have any chance of retaining its crown.

Agree here. The 5 will be the last incremental, evolutionary upgrade otherwise consumers will leave Apple in droves. The 5 was just enough to keep me as a loyal customer, but I'm seeing the Android offerings really getting mature now and are in many ways superior. Yes, I know the user experience and ecosystem is best on the iPhone (that's why its my third one after 3G and 4) but the next iteration better have more than just a faster processor and more storage. No, I don't know what it is, but I'm hoping Apple has some interesting new innovations in store.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
based on "history" you would see a iPhone 5s about a year from last month. But if rumors are true, that "may" be accelerated to a 6 month release. So, maybe a 6 next fall. But doubtful if we are truly students of "history."

Man, that made my head hurt! haha

UmbraDiaboli

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2012
Boom! Apple surprises with an iPhone 5S on March 2013 - We all **** our pants and whine about our 6 month old iPhone 5 being obsolete.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
June would be a good bet as Apple will need time to produce The iPhone 6 in sufficient quantity but more important to meet their earnings number for the June quarter

JacksonHuston

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2012
Wow……iPhone 5 just came out not longger for a few months, you guys already looking for iPhone 6?

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
There will most likely be an iPhone 5S next October, which will improve the internal specs of the phone, but the look is likely to be the exact same or nearly the same as the 5.

If you are waiting for a re-designed iPhone, you'll likely be waiting at least two years, and that's assuming the 6 deviates from the form factor of the 5.

If that's the case, I'll hold onto my 4S 'till 2014. How much is a replacement battery on a 4S anyway?

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
Apple has many hundreds of patents that are never likely to be included in a product.

Twixt

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2012
Some reports saying Feb-March (6 month cycle) in order to compete with Android but IMO I say this is false

Some would say the iPad Mini or iPad 4th gen are signs Apple is falling under peer pressure but I think Apple will stick with the 12 month cycle refresh

the iPhone was introduced in September and has had great success but has been hampered by production and maybe even quality control delays. I think it would be absurd for Apple to give up on potential dollars just so they can refresh a slightly better iPhone

I don't think we are going to see a quad core in an iPhone anytime soon since the A6 is very efficient and plus the iPhone only has a 1400mah battery. A 4.5"+ screen is a no go since they just introduced the a 4" screen and apps still don't fit that. Personally I like them to switch back to glass and steel because scuffgate is real. Increase battery life, even though it isn't bad. Include finger print security. NFC mehhh...

I va read April or May to keep pace vs Galaxy s4 which will come around same period.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I am a pro. Stop trying to devalue my opinion, just because you don´t like it.

If you´ve been reading the experts opinions, you will see that there is broad agreement on this subject. Apple has not been delivering groundbreaking functionality and simplicity in their latest iPhones.

Personally I think it stopped with the 3GS. After that the improvements have been minor, and in addition to that, some of them have been disappointing in quality. Such as Apple Maps, Siri, Game Center and more.

You keep repeating this, but its not grounded in reality. The iPhone 5 is selling faster than any other phone ever, and more than 2 months after release you still can't walk into a store and reliably find one. That both speaks to its incredible popularity and to how much sales are still constrained by supplies.

I don't actually believe you have a 3GS, but if you do, you've missed out on a TON by not upgrading, and the next generation will just be an incremental upgrade from this one. The only one suffering is you.

josh995

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2012
Point is. This has been Apples tactic for the last years. And it has led to a loss of interest in the iPhone. Loss of interest, means decrease in sales.

I don't know what planet you're living on, but hasn't each new iPhone gone on to sell more than the ones before it?

And it's expanded from one carrier to 3 major, and several smaller carriers.

What about any of that equals loss of interest, or decreased sales?

S

syd430

I don't know what planet you're living on, but hasn't each new iPhone gone on to sell more than the ones before it?

Sales lag a slowly building consensus.

Also, each iPhone release has it introduced to more and more markets, and more and more carriers. Comparing the raw numbers from each release doesn't make much sense.

josh995

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2012
Sales lag a slowly building consensus.

Also, each iPhone release has it introduced to more and more markets, and more and more carriers. Comparing the raw numbers from each release doesn't make much sense.

It does too make sense. When the iPhone first came out, there weren't many great phones to compete.

Now, every company has a phone with specs on par with or better than the iPhone. And now like some 85% of people with phones have smartphones so the phone makers aren't getting the huge "new customers" they are getting the customers looking to upgrade from a smartphone they already have.

So the fact that the iPhones are still the best selling phones each year is proof enough that there is not a sales lag. A sales lag means slow sales. The iPhone brand has not experienced low sales.

Will it happen in the future? Yeah, probably, history has a way of repeating itself (RIM, Nokia) but you can't say that the iPhone sales have lagged, because they haven't.

sevendust

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2012
I am a pro. Stop trying to devalue my opinion, just because you don´t like it.

If you´ve been reading the experts opinions, you will see that there is broad agreement on this subject. Apple has not been delivering groundbreaking functionality and simplicity in their latest iPhones.

Personally I think it stopped with the 3GS. After that the improvements have been minor, and in addition to that, some of them have been disappointing in quality. Such as Apple Maps, Siri, Game Center and more.
I don't wanna be rude but you sounded like a fortune teller:rolleyes: just my thought.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Less than two months after the iPhone 5 has been released, the hype hasn't even died down, and people are asking about the potential release date for an imaginary iPhone 2 generations later??

AlphaHumanus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2012
Yes biometric fingerprint would be cool. Vastly greater battery life would also be a huge leap forward.

These are two things that would represent great change for me. But I need even more.
Are you Serious? Need? NEED? well. Then I guess thats all I need to know about you..
That would be gorgeous.

Meh. If they go back to the **** design of the 3g/s, I'm not sure what I'll do. ****ing thing is disgusting, and feels cheap. Reminds me of a samsung phone. Even my Motorola Razr felt tighter.
I've decided to use the same level of disgust in regards to the older designs, that others use in regards to the newer.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Except for it's build quality and weak aluminum, the iPhone 5 is a pretty damn big upgrade. Completely rebuilt and designed from the ground up.

The only thing old and stale about it is the 5 year old OS.

As always, the 5S will iron out most of the issues with the 5. What they do with the OS is anybody's guess.

I doubt Apple is yet feeling market pressure to change their release cycle.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
[/COLOR]
There have been so many rumors on crazy patents, that I kind of expect to see them soon. I want change. Real change, like iPhone was actually about. Not just more of the same.

iPhone was a groundbreaking product when it was released -- in 2007. Now, the smartphone market has matured considerably. There is less room for groundbreaking innovation, because competitors have caught up and the phones have become so good...the improvements from here on out will generally be incremental.

But "incremental" doesn't mean insignificant. If you're honestly still using a 3GS then you're missing out big-time. There's a huge difference between a phone that can take crappy pictures (the 3GS) and a phone that can easily substitute for a point-and-click camera and HD video recorder. There's a huge difference between a thick, heavy, plastic hulk (as the 3GS now seems to me) and the sleek and light iPhone 5. There's a huge difference between a 3.5" pixelated screen and the gorgeous 4" retina display on the iPhone 5. All of them since the iPhone 4 have featured huge speed bumps over the 3GS, both in terms of processor and graphics (and even wireless speeds). If these are really insignificant improvements to you then maybe you're just not that into technology.

ScKcBc

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Like I said, Apple can not afford to keep repeating the same pattern. Yet most of you seem to think so.

Most of you seem to think that the next thing will be an S-version of the existing phone. Released at the same time next year. With only the minor and predictable improvements such as better camera, iOS update, new processor, sharper screen etc.

Point is. This has been Apples tactic for the last years. And it has led to a loss of interest in the iPhone. Loss of interest, means decrease in sales.

The company has been resting on their laurels, and we´re almost reaching the point where they have to start releasing their brand new technologies, which so far has been hidden in research and development.

They can't afford to do it? Really? And keep in mind, this isn't including 4th Qtr sales #'s obv. I think they still have a profitable industry in iphones and I'd bet anything the 5S would CONTINUE to break previous sales records. There's something to be said for not putting it all out on the table. If you can beat out every other phone while simultaneously offering less features, you have a winner. Apple has the technology, they just don't need to offer it all yet. They make an aesthetic device that is more appealing and respected than any of their competitors'.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-12-03 at 3.53.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-12-03 at 3.53.47 PM.png
    44 KB · Views: 90

Ramius

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2008
Here in Norway, iPhone 5s hype has died down. And it is not the best selling phone either. The iPhone is loosing increasingly to Samsung and Android, and everybody says its because its just not exciting any more.

Jalopybox

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2012
Here in Norway, iPhone 5s hype has died down. And it is not the best selling phone either. The iPhone is loosing increasingly to Samsung and Android, and everybody says its because its just not exciting any more.

What's exciting about another Android? The big makers release new android phones every couple of months. Slightly different look. No time to perfect troubled model-just ditch it and release another. Real exciting:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.