Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

luminouslight

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
Orlando FL
I need help deciding on which CPU to go with in the 27" model. I plan to get the gtx 680 as I want to do some moderate gaming and photo editing for school. Is the extra $180 worth it for the i7 processor or will I not notice a huge difference?

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
I need help deciding on which CPU to go with in the 27" model. I plan to get the gtx 680 as I want to do some moderate gaming and photo editing for school. Is the extra $180 worth it for the i7 processor or will I not notice a huge difference?

Depends on if your apps respond well to hyper-threading. i7 is going to have larger caches as well.

I'm fighting the same battle. I want it all but somethings gotta give.

I'm certainly not going without a Fusion Drive. I'd love to have the 680mx with 2GB of buffer but I also want that hyper-threading.

We'll see what my budget says next year when it's purchase time.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008

martinm0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2010

If you're going to be doing any video encoding at all, go for the i7. I do a ton of conversions through Handbrake and the i7 is most helpful here. For the extra $180, I'd do it. Will also make it that much more valuable if you choose to resell it down the road.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Depends on if your apps respond well to hyper-threading. i7 is going to have larger caches as well.

I'm fighting the same battle. I want it all but somethings gotta give.

I'm certainly not going without a Fusion Drive. I'd love to have the 680mx with 2GB of buffer but I also want that hyper-threading.

We'll see what my budget says next year when it's purchase time.

does the i5 not have hyper threading on the imac line? I know it does for mbps

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.