Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rezenclowd3

macrumors 65816
There's one game where the guy with the Gamepad is Mario and hides from everyone. Everyone else has to find him. They ended up giving the Gamepad to me or one of the other adults because it was more fun for the kids to run around looking for Mario than it was to run away from 4 other people. The Luigi's Mansion game was similar. All the kids would rather gang up and look for the ghost than be the ghost. So they gave the Gamepad to an adult.

There's this game that I played as a kid with the other neighborhood kids. It's called Hide-and-Seek and it was AWESOME!

;-)

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
So CPU is finally confirmed (i'm not surprised really)

1.25 GHz Triple Core Broadway Chip

Let the damnation commence ;) I can understand developers concerns. No matter of shifting to GPU lead development can over compensate for a bottleneck in the CPU going forward. Remember GPU is great for graphics, but that CPU is needed to drive the game engine and the physics systems and AI etc..

Not sure why they couldn't have at least pushed it to 2ghz tbh.

1.25 GHz is horrible but I'm wondering if it's negated by the GPGPU capabilities of the system. GPGPU computing can actually outperform CPU computing in areas like physics and AI if there's a large amount of parallelism. Might explain why Nintendo's been quiet on their specs - most people don't know what GPGPU computing is and aren't aware of its potential. Then again I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo was arrogant enough to not care about CPU clock speeds as much as they should so who knows.

Waiting for more info

That's what I was thinking. Granted the WiiU GPU isn't amazinglywowincredible, but a lot of what people here are complaining about, in regards to physics, can be offloaded very efficiently to the GPU. It's still the preferred option with the likes of PhysX.

1.25Ghz in this day and age is absolutely pathetic, triple core or not. That CPU can't have a value of over a few dollars really, which is disappointing for a core component of the system. This is all compounded by the fact that it's still a souped up Gamecube CPU at heart, rather than an absolute new design.

GPGPU isn't going to cut the mustard as a full-on CPU replacement, as GPGPU is very specific as to the tasks it can perform. Yes, PhysX is a good example, but as an NVIDIA technology it basically doesn't work properly on AMD GPUs (it can be forced on PCs unofficially, but has a high performance penalty and Nintendo won't want it to be forced on the WiiU for licence reasons), so a developer will have to get creative to go that route.

Yes, GPGPU is going to help somewhat, but really Nintendo should have put a decent CPU in there and then enjoyed having a balanced all-round system.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
There's this game that I played as a kid with the other neighborhood kids. It's called Hide-and-Seek and it was AWESOME!

;-)

Nah it was just that the other neighbourhood kids really didn't want to play with you, so you invented 'we were playing hide and seek' excuse as a justification for their total rejection in order to preserve your now fragile damaged mental state....

That I've just shattered.... Oops. :p ;)

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
England
Nah it was just that the other neighbourhood kids really didn't want to play with you, so you invented 'we were playing hide and seek' excuse as a justification for their total rejection in order to preserve your now fragile damaged mental state....

That I've just shattered.... Oops. :p ;)

Did you get it then matey?

-SD-

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Peterborough, UK
I should be setting the WiiU up right now but once again, due to the Postman's apparent inability to knock on my door at an audible level, I've missed a delivery.

He has however had the common sense to leave it at the local Post Office which is on the way to the kids' school, so I'll attempt to collect it at 3pm.

I'm quite annoyed as I wanted to have it set up with the controller charging. I don't reckon I'll do the firmware update straight away, I'll probably do it overnight. I'm going to have to go on a mission later anyway to get myself Mario and ZomiU as I only ordered the Premium Pack from Amazon; Nintendoland isn't going to keep me going for long.

:apple:

n8mac

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2006
Ohio
as long as the Wii U plays the next SSB title in 1080p I couldn't care less about what CPU it has. while sony and microsoft are busy putting great CPUs in your living room (that also double as fireplaces), the big N is busy putting great and innovative games in there. at the end of the day that's all that matters.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
as long as the Wii U plays the next SSB title in 1080p I couldn't care less about what CPU it has. while sony and microsoft are busy putting great CPUs in your living room (that also double as fireplaces), the big N is busy putting great and innovative games in there. at the end of the day that's all that matters.
But do you really only want N64 SSB upscaled to 1080p?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Just setting it up!!!

I got mine!!

DISAPPOINTMENT!!! WARNING!!!

If you buy the Zombie U premium pack.. You don't get Nintendoland as well. You just get Zombi U !! Fecking pain in the ar5e now I have to go back to the store and spend another €60!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

It begs the question WHY is this pack €40 more than the premium pack with Nintendoland included then ????

The fact you still have to buy Nintendoland means it's actually ends up costing €100 more !!! when you could just buy the Nintendoland premium pack and a copy of Zombi U and save yourself €40!!!!

Not a great start nintendo!! I'm livid and I haven't even turned it on yet!!!1

Last edited:

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
On all the online shops I saw the WiiU at they state they either come with Nintendoland or ZombiU. From what I worked out it was cheaper to get the ZombiU Bundle and Nintendoland, than the Nintendoland Bundle, ZombiU and the Pro controller.

Mine's setting up now with that big update, it's not taking so long though. Started it half an hour ago and it's up to 75% complete.

After 15 mins I kinda felt a little wave of what it's all about. Music was blaring from my surround sound and a separate instrument bit on the WiiU controller. I'm able to skip out the TV completely if I want. It just felt quite surrounding.

I really like that controller stand with the Premium kit. I keep thinking all devices need that kind of induction/pad charging system and I like that Nintendo are pushing for it too.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
Do you have kids? If so, you should realize that one kid holding the touchscreen controller while the rest have Wiimotes is simply not going to fly. Parenting has nothing to do with it.

No problems so far in my house. My 9 year old and 5 years old didn't even want the touchscreen. Playing the new Super Mario with the old mote is easier and the touchscreen, so far in the game, doesn't add anything different. We switched off during the nintendo land game. Its better that way, its like each game is two games. First you play a round with the touchscreen, then you switch for round two and get a different experience. But every kid is different of course....

----------

Just copied from other thread,

So far so good. The update did take foooooorever. And each game I played, also had an update that took a while. Load times are long for everything but I hope they can fix that. i feel stupid getting annoyed at a load time (first world problems and all) but I do. Super Mario on WiiU looks so much better than the old Super Mario on plain old Wii. Crisper, cleaner, no dropouts, just great, great graphics. Game play with touchscreen is fine although I do get that WHAT THE HELL IS IN THIS THING noise you might have heard about. I don't care about it as long as it works fine, which is does. Battery life is HORRIBLE on touchscreen. When I play, I like to play for a long time on one of my days off. Not easy to do with the battery dying this quick (although on some games, I can switch to old mote). Does anyone know if battery life is something that can someday be fixed with a software patch or are we stuck with this? Kids didn't seem to into the nintendo land games. I remember how blown away they were with wii sports, so this is a bit of a disappointment. All in all, glad I bought it, could be better, ask me again when 3d Mario or Zelda comes out. ;)

Post your guys's impressions

I'm curious what you guys think

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
On all the online shops I saw the WiiU at they state they either come with Nintendoland or ZombiU. From what I worked out it was cheaper to get the ZombiU Bundle and Nintendoland, than the Nintendoland Bundle, ZombiU and the Pro controller.

Mine's setting up now with that big update, it's not taking so long though. Started it half an hour ago and it's up to 75% complete.

After 15 mins I kinda felt a little wave of what it's all about. Music was blaring from my surround sound and a separate instrument bit on the WiiU controller. I'm able to skip out the TV completely if I want. It just felt quite surrounding.

I really like that controller stand with the Premium kit. I keep thinking all devices need that kind of induction/pad charging system and I like that Nintendo are pushing for it too.

Yeah I missed it. I had assumed you got everything from the premium pack (hence including Nintendoland) and zombiU.

Oh and my update just failed... I have to do the whole thing again and it took over an hour and a half the last time :(

So far frustrating....

Last edited:

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005

I like it. It feels different. As I said in my above post it's like being surrounded (if you have the TV and controller going at once). I've only played Nano Assault so far and that's pretty good, not a contender for Geometry Wars, but what is?

Hopefully I'll get time for Mario and ZombiU tomorrow. The real bread and butter!

Menus are very slow to navigate. And I couldn't find the Wii Transfer Tool in the shop.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I like it. It feels different. As I said in my above post it's like being surrounded (if you have the TV and controller going at once). I've only played Nano Assault so far and that's pretty good, not a contender for Geometry Wars, but what is?

Hopefully I'll get time for Mario and ZombiU tomorrow. The real bread and butter!

Menus are very slow to navigate. And I couldn't find the Wii Transfer Tool in the shop.

Yep menu system is very strange and not sure I like it.

For example, just because I'm using a gamepad I want to navigate the menu on my TV but I cant. I have to look at the wii u gamepads screen. WTF is that all about ? To use the menu on the TV I have to use a wii remote motionplus or control-pad instead. That's friggin' ridiculous!! I am not going to go grabbing two controllers every time that's a pure ********.

Downloading Trine 2 and Little Inferno.

Played Zombie U. Surprised it is in 1920 x 1080, and I actually really like the game. My first character didn't last very long but my new one is surviving a little longer. It's a very cool and very creepy game. Really enjoy it. Like the way I have to scan with the gamepad and think the menu system / backpack works really well. Really like the way the voice comes through the speaker on the gamepad too. The game really ooooozes atmosphere and tension. As a launch game it's surprisingly very very good indeed and far more cerebal than the likes of Left 4 Dead and recent Resident Evil titles.

Havent played much more, will get some games in tomorrow.

I bought Sonic Racing, Tekken Tag 2, NSMB, Call of Duty : Black Ops 2 and obviously have ZombiU. Will get Nintendoland tomorrow too.

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
----------
[/COLOR]Just copied from other thread,

I know the battery is removable. Nyko already has a 10 hour battery in the works. Not sure if it'll make the thing too heavy though

Yeah the menu load times are horrible. Especially since there's a lot of back and forth app switching

Mario looks great in HD and the game design is fun. This is coming from someone who doesn't care for 2D platformers. I haven't bought ZombiU yet but I'm planning to.

Yep menu system is very strange and not sure I like it.

For example, just because I'm using a gamepad I want to navigate the menu on my TV but I cant. I have to look at the wii u gamepads screen. WTF is that all about ? To use the menu on the TV I have to use a wii remote motionplus or control-pad instead. That's friggin' ridiculous!! I am not going to go grabbing two controllers every time that's a pure ********.

Usually I just keep the Navigation Menu on the gamepad and the lobby screen on the TV but yeah, I can see why it sucks.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Its in the channels section.

Yeah, I was looking for it on the Wii U menu, not the Wii menu.

The Wii emulator seems faster than the original. Which I suppose is good considering how many other menus you have to go through to get to it.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Played Zombie U. Surprised it is in 1920 x 1080, and I actually really like the game. My first character didn't last very long but my new one is surviving a little longer. It's a very cool and very creepy game. Really enjoy it. Like the way I have to scan with the gamepad and think the menu system / backpack works really well. Really like the way the voice comes through the speaker on the gamepad too. The game really ooooozes atmosphere and tension. As a launch game it's surprisingly very very good indeed and far more cerebal than the likes of Left 4 Dead and recent Resident Evil titles.

I like that the voice over chap is a proper Yorkshireman ;)

I'm really liking ZombiU. I keep wanting to clean the main chaps glasses, all those dust/lens particles man! And it made me jump twice - the only other game to do that was the first RE game.

My first character died too right at the bloody start. I didn't know the Wii U's analogue sticks could be clicked in so I didn't run, and ended up getting caught on that ladder.

Haven't played Mario U yet.

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Dec 3, 2003
I got mine!!

DISAPPOINTMENT!!! WARNING!!!

If you buy the Zombie U premium pack.. You don't get Nintendoland as well. You just get Zombi U !! Fecking pain in the ar5e now I have to go back to the store and spend another €60!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

It begs the question WHY is this pack €40 more than the premium pack with Nintendoland included then ????

The fact you still have to buy Nintendoland means it's actually ends up costing €100 more !!! when you could just buy the Nintendoland premium pack and a copy of Zombi U and save yourself €40!!!!

Not a great start nintendo!! I'm livid and I haven't even turned it on yet!!!1

You're getting the Pro Controller for that €40 . That doesn't come in the "standard" Deluxe bundle.

Nintendoland isn't listed or pictured on the ZombieU bundle box...why would you just assume it's in there? Especially since the reason that bundle exists is because I don't see the audience for those two titles crossing over alot.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
You're getting the Pro Controller for that €40 . That doesn't come in the "standard" Deluxe bundle.

Nintendoland isn't listed or pictured on the ZombieU bundle box...why would you just assume it's in there? Especially since the reason that bundle exists is because I don't see the audience for those two titles crossing over alot.

It wasn't just my confusion it seems, and some of the pre-order gamestore sites here also listed the zombiu pack as including the game. GAME for example listed the contents including Nintendoland. They are now actually honouring the mess up by offering people download coupons for Nintendoland.

I knew I had read the exact words 'includes everything from the premium pack and a copy of zombiU'.....

I didn't really care for the pro-controller to be honest. It will likely never get used.

Last edited:

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Dec 3, 2003
It wasn't just my confusion it seems, and some of the pre-order gamestore sites here also listed the zombiu pack as including the game. GAME for example listed the contents including Nintendoland. They are now actually honouring the mess up by offering people download coupons for Nintendoland.

I knew I had read the exact words 'includes everything from the premium pack and a copy of zombiU'.....

I didn't really care for the pro-controller to be honest. It will likely never get used.

Eh, keep it in a drawer somewhere. You'll likely find a use for it eventually.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.