Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
News flash: where did you get this dubious statistic. Or is it just based on some ludicrous stereotype that right-of-center people don't use technology because it's all modern and stuff.

Just think about it. iPhones (and smart phones in general) are more used by younger and better educated people who statistically indeed tend to vote for democrats. Southern rednecks on the other hand still use dumb phones.

notabadname

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2010
Detroit Suburbs
I liked it, and subscribed from the beginning. I hope other publications can learn from its brilliant interface. So many other news magazines and periodicals are little more than dressed up PDFs.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
LOL, now that is funny (and completely clueless). Thanks for the laugh!

Why is it clueless? I totally agree with the guy. There is nothing wrong with having news sources/analysis of all political orientations. However, FOX New is a the only major new organisation that uses obvious lies for propaganda purposes. They brainwash their listeners and this is not good.

carmenodie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
Oh, I'm crying so hard. Who the heck cares.
I'm sure Rupert's manager's didn't get enough clicks on the ads.

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2007
News Corp plays all sides. That's how you make money. While Fox News panders to one kind of mindset, you've got Fox Network whose top show for several seasons had an atheist protagonist, and their other two top shows are produced by vocal atheists.

And here's another interesting tidbit: The single largest shareholder of News Corp is someone Fox News branded as a "terrorist sympathizer". That's right, 7% of News Corp is owned by Prince Alwaleed bin Talal bin Abdulaziz of the Royal House of Saud.

So, there you are. But go ahead and keep on flaming each other over absolutely nothing... by all means.

The Daily didn't fail because of any politics or news standards... it failed because the entire information economy is so ubiquitous now that the value of information has declined too sharply for large editorial guidance to compete with bloggers.

But the interesting conundrum will come when all the primary sources can no longer make money, whose feet-on-the-street reporting are the bloggers going to reblog? What articles will be left for them to regurgitate?

The joke is (and I say this as an online publisher myself), there's no money in blogging either...

Last edited:

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Again, wrong.

iPads especially are finding their way into the hands of an older demographic who simply want something to surf the web and check their email on.

Furthermore, compared to all other tablets, iPad owners tend to be wealthier and older.

Romney Bears Loss Behind Closed Doors: http://www.journalgazette.net/article/20121203/NEWS03/312039947/1006/NEWS

"Romney hangs around the house, sometimes alone, pecking away at his iPad and emailing his CEO buddies"

For some reason, I don't see Mitt Romney reading the Daily to find out the latest news on Kate Middleton or the Kardashians. One of News Corporation's other publications such as the Wall Street Journal, but not the Daily. So again, the demographic probably wasn't conducive to it.

syndalis

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2008
I dunno - I think the New York Times is seeing some decent returns off of their online initiative. 454,000 subscribers as of march of this year, alongside an increase in home deliveries, and no decrease in web traffic alongside increased use of the apps.

digital subscriptions and paid news works... when the content is worth the money. The Daily did not meet that criteria.

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
We get news live, almost the instant it happens. People are so plugged in, we know whats going on before many reporters do. With our connectivity, news is passed around the world by those who are there living it.

Pay for services like the Daily just aren't going to appeal to many when we have so many sources to get news live and at no cost.

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
I dunno - I think the New York Times is seeing some decent returns off of their online initiative. 454,000 subscribers as of march of this year, alongside an increase in home deliveries, and no decrease in web traffic alongside increased use of the apps.

digital subscriptions and paid news works... when the content is worth the money. The Daily did not meet that criteria.

Agreed - When you do it right and offer something that the consumer wants it can work. The Times does interesting bundling too. Buy one and you get a price break on the others. Perhaps the right thing for Murdoch to do was to take one of the existing properties and make it work like that. Although perhaps the universal appeal of the Times or the Wallstreet Journal does not exist on his side.

derondantzler

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2007
I second the post by av3206. I purchased an annual subscription about 6 months ago. There should be some form of refund.

Marlor

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2005
The problem is that the "News Corp" brand is tarnished among the likely buyers of The Daily. The type of person who would read a newspaper on their iPad is totally the opposite demographic to those who buy Murdoch's tabloids or watch Fox News.

The Guardian is doing very well on the iPad. The New York Times is doing well. I read both, along with the South China Morning Post.

But I draw the line at getting any news at all from Murdoch.

wolfshades

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2007
Toronto, Ontario Canada
I second the post by av3206. I purchased an annual subscription about 6 months ago. There should be some form of refund.

Not to worry: it looks as though they will be refunding those of us who paid into a subscription:

TheDailyBlog said:
For those of you who will still have time remaining on your subscriptions after our final issue, your account will be credit for unused portions of your subscription after the last day of publishing, on December 15th.

More here: http://blog.thedaily.com/

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Totally different things. First off I subscribe to "The Magazine" but I am not sure I will continue to... the content is very thin (average four articles that each are quite brief) and while I admire many of the "writers" (mostly bloggers in the Apple community) the actual articles are pretty weak with totally scattered topics. It may do well if only because a one or two man operation has extremely low overhead.

I agree that The Magazine's content isn't much, and it is only doing well because of very low overhead. But I like the format/design. It loads very fast, has nothing other than table of content and the articles, and is extremely easy to navigate -- doesn't have me puzzling over whether I scroll vertically or horizontally or tap the left edge to get to the next page. I wish all iPad magazines were as easy to use as The Magazine, and that other iPad magazines would hire Marco Arment to write their iOS apps for them. All iPad magazines I've tried seems to think that because they are on the iPad, they have to have multimedia content or have fancy swiping effects. But all I want is to READ THE WORDS. Multimedia and fancy swipes only get in the way. Marco understands this, and I hope more publishers see this, which is why I subscribe to The Magazine.

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2007
The problem is that the "News Corp" brand is tarnished among the likely buyers of The Daily. The type of person who would read a newspaper on their iPad is totally the opposite demographic to those who buy Murdoch's tabloids or watch Fox News.

The Guardian is doing very well on the iPad. The New York Times is doing well. I read both, along with the South China Morning Post.

But I draw the line at getting any news at all from Murdoch.

As much as I am left of center, I disagree with this claim.

The Daily's problem is not that it panders... Most news media pander to some demographic or another, and America is the only industrialized country that is upside down on beliefs about evolutionary theory, so I'm not buying the stereotype that all of us Mac users are a bunch of raging hard left liberals running off to our graphic studios in our Doc Martens and Swedish eyeglass frames to have a cappuccino while we read Alison Bechdel's latest op-ed.

The two examples you cite have other sources of revenue feeding into their business unit. New York Times and The Guardian are still large metropolitan papers and they're very established brands. The Daily was online only, and in the face of a weak online business paradigm for news media that just isn't the best strategy.

Newsweek is going to an online only format, and if they do better than the Daily the most plausible explanation will be that they've already got a deeply established brand with a dedicated audience. The Daily didn't.

Stig McNasty

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2007
I intensely dislike the Murdoch clan's methods and what News Corp appears to propagate, particularly in light of its recently uncovered dirty tricks and hacking, but liked the idea of The Daily.

lyngo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
Yes, its such a terrible 1st world problem that you have to put it on a last screen that you never have to see.
Where do I send the flowers?

Wow... Are the attacks really necessary? Unfreakin- real. Why do you jump to conclusions about my life in judgment because I post a suggestion or thought or opinion. :confused: :mad:

Macwick

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2008
Yes, its such a terrible 1st world problem that you have to put it on a last screen that you never have to see.
Where do I send the flowers?

I'm pretty sure you could characterize 100% of all the 'problems' and hand-wringing on this site as first world problems (including my own posts).

"OMG, why is the new iMac so thin? It's very existence upsets me!"

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
I intensely dislike the Murdoch clan's methods and what News Corp appears to propagate, particularly in light of its recently uncovered dirty tricks and hacking, but liked the idea of The Daily.

I liked theidea of it but the news corps brands attachment to it hurt business. I do wonder if they wouldve seen more interest by simply announcing they were going to be a more academic with their news and analysis.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Like with other newspapers, you're basically paying for opinion pieces, articles and yesterdays news. And I don't really like what opinions Murdoch and his cronies may have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.