Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
Yeah, I wish they would also indicate they are hard at work on new Mac Pros too.

AcesHigh87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2009
New Brunswick, Canada
Is it bad that as a video editor I kinda want to see the audio guys get screwed with a ****** program like we did with FCP X?

Only a little bit but it's still there.

TMay

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2001
Carson City, NV
What Apple really needs to do with iOS devices is add ethernet-over-USB or some way of communicating with the host machine over USB. Even with TouchOSC/Lemur/etc you have to either choose between using wifi (unreliable, potentially introducing latency), using the iPad connection camera kit with a MIDI adapter (low-latency, reliable, but it has to run on battery), or jailbreaking and hacking tethering or something (unsupported).

Of course they could add their own proprietary USB communication method that is exclusive to Logic, but I'd like for them to offer this up to any developer to use, basically making iOS devices low-latency peripherals. Is there a way to do this that I just don't know about?

Of course the option to use wifi should be there, but using wifi for what you are talking about (as in your couch/dinner table concept with the Mac doing all the work, sending control events from the iOS device and streaming rendered audio back from the Mac) will be fraught with latency issues.

I'f bet that Apple could create a native TB to Lightning adaptor that would preserve low latency.

Just ask Tim to "Make it so!"

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
FCPX has had more upgrades in its short lifetime than the previous version had in 3-4 years. Apple gaffed in that they stopped selling previous versions immediately but it was clear that it was beyond time to move off of archaic Quicktime and towards the future in AV Foundation. Apple should have just employed a dual strategy by putting FCP 7 in maintenance mode and continuing to improve FCPX rapidly as they have.

Apple hasn't lost interest in the Pro apps, it's just so much of their bottom line is mobile devices but they continue to move forward. I'm excited about seeing how they integrate the assets acquired from Redmatica and AV Foundation continues to improve and power exceptional updates to FCPX.

The future still looks bright. I don't need Apple to tell me their roadmap although it would be nice.

Absolutely. Your explanation nails it. FCPX is progressing very well.

Ted Witcher

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2003
If it were my company to run, I would have a dedicated pro group working on software in the way pros need and expect: strong customer/company feedback, published roadmaps, etc. Apple only makes three pro apps, how hard can this be? I know there isn't a lot of money in it, but there are halo benefits to keeping creative pros happy, and they can afford it. Aperture should've long since been updated to 4.0.

Craigy

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2003
New Zealand
No mention of the fact that Logic Pro suffers crippling lag issues with Lion and mostly Mountain Lion... grrr.... I know they are working hard to fix it, but it seems daunting sometimes.

No crippling issues here on 10.8.2 and the latest version on Logic on a 2012 MBP - sorry to hear you're having issues. Runs fine here.

thestickman

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2010
Jacksonville, FL
Started using Logic 7 back in 2008. Progressed to 8 & then 9. Everything sounded ok to me till I demoed Studio One 2...to my ears now, Logic 9 sounds very boxy to me. I still write in it & use some of the amp models & instruments. Do my tracking/mixing in either Pro Tools 10 or Studio One. They just sound cleaner to my ear.

I figure Apple will want some $$$ for Logic 10. Unless there's a demo to try I'm not playing this time.

Rufuss Sewell

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
Austin, TX
I'f bet that Apple could create a native TB to Lightning adaptor that would preserve low latency.

Just ask Tim to "Make it so!"

As I said earlier, an adhoc network connection eliminates latancy issues. It's fast enough to play drums with, so editing wouln't be a problem.

Boomish69

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
London
No crippling issues here on 10.8.2 and the latest version on Logic on a 2012 MBP - sorry to hear you're having issues. Runs fine here.

It is a def problem, you can't be using any Waves plugins & 10.8.2, I'm not sure of other plugs affected, but anyone opening several Waves plugins at once find the whole program grinds to a halt or doesn't respond to mouse of keyboard clicks. At least thats the experience I have had and 100's of users at the Logic Pro forum..s

gardinen

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2010
If Logic Pro X better be less buggy than the latest version of Logic Pro 9. I've used Logic Pro 9 professionally for about two years, but had to switch eventually because of all the bugs.

Weird and annoying error messages and glitches that should have been ironed out two years ago.

It's a pity, because I really like the functionality of Logic 9. But the bugs drove me crazy. I'm now using Cubase 6.5, and it's working great. But if Logic X is a bug free version of Logic 9, then I'll definitely switch back.

urbanlung

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2004
location location, location!
Decimated means reduced by 10%. I think you mean obliterated... :D

I though decimate meant to divide into ten parts. I'll check once I've posted. I'd rather make a statement before confirming that it's correct, I think it's more honest that way. Obviously if I'm wrong about decimate I'm shall not be admitting to it, I think it would be a sign of weakness and of course more honest.

Oops I'm wrong. I think to admit that is a sign of strength and very honest.

Last edited:

stueee123

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2011
Maybe I just don't get it, but having recently finished my first album with Logic Pro (all solo), I'm hard pressed to think of anything Logic Pro 'needs' added to other than perhaps more default software synth patches and guitar processing defaults (most included settings kind of suck and need a lot of fiddling to make them sound really good) and a better WAV editor and perhaps some mastering tools to make volume matching, etc. a bit easier for separate projects. I thought Logic was awesome, personally. I got professional results with total ease, really. And unlike the older Final Cut Pro, Logic actually used both my cores for processing on my MBP. Now I've got a quad-core Mini i7 I could use for editing and it would simply own for sheer processing DSP and more tracks at once.

I'd be more afraid of a "Logic Pro X" kind of thing that mirrors the Final Cut X thing (i.e. more "Garage Band" kiddie features and wiping out all the power tools it already has in the process of some dopey GUI make-over that it does NOT need). Logic Pro is already incredibly easy to use and I'm sure I haven't realized half the things that COULD be done with it if I knew about every little editing tool/button or had some mixing boards to interface to it, etc.

The last thing Logic needs is an iPhone/iPad kiddie interface (like they're advertising the iPad with that piano commercial playing something stupid like Chopsticks). This isn't Rockband or Guitar Hero for goodness sake.

Final Cut Pro 10.0.6 is actually very solid now, and has more feautures than 7. I think that a more intuitive interface would be great for Logic, that way all those things you said you don't know about would be much more discoverable. A well-designed interface doesn't have to be a bad thing

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I think it's disgusting that people jump straight to emailing Tim Cook to demand an answer to various questions, but maybe it's the fault of Apple's support system? Maybe it's not clear who should be contacted to get such an answer? Glad to see that the message gets passed along to an appropriate department, and not just ignored.

urbanlung

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2004
location location, location!
It's not the talent, it's the market's expected level of productivity that it demands. (Which is actually one of the biggest enemies of our economic recovery, employee productivity keeps going up)

The expectation of getting more done with less is a brutal reality for many pros.

I knew it wasn't the banks or our mendacious leaders that caused the current economic crisis, it was the lack of updates for Logic Pro.

Poisednoise

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2009
London UK
decimated

Verb:
- Kill, destroy, or remove a large percentage of.
- Drastically reduce the strength or effectiveness of (something): "plant viruses that can decimate yields".

Google is not a dictionary. Try the OED. Although it should be admitted that the true meaning, that is, to reduce by 10%, from the Roman punishment, is not the solely acceptable meaning any more.

As for this rumour, any rumour of a company sacking a bunch of programmers coming from the Pro Tools stable should be treated with great suspicion: after all that's exactly what Avid themselves did to the entire Sibelius programming team about a month ago (in case you aren't aware, Sibelius is the de facto standard for music notation). So Sibelius is now dead, because they've sacked the entire development team in a desperate attempt to cut costs. And Avid sold M-Audio a while back as well.

The good news is that Steinberg have hired the complete Sibelius development team (or most at least - all those who wanted in), so there may be a new amazing notation program available in a few years - probably linked to Cubase. At that point Apple may find itself in trouble with Logic - as an educator currently running Garageband and Sibelius, I have to admit I'd be tempted to move to Cubase and whatever new notation package they came up with if they were integrated.

AndyDiamond

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2004
The Black Lodge
For the record I like FCP X and I have been a FCP user since 2004.

I'd like to think Logic 'X' will have Retina support - nowhere can I see mention that Cubase 7 has Retina support but it would be nice if they did - it looks like a pretty cool app.

I wouldn't really be interested in switching though - I have a good workflow in Logic and ProTools.
StudioOne, Reaper, Nuendo are all great apps but I don't have the time for more DAW learning.

One thing I would not want to see is 'Abletoning' DAW apps - I really don't like Live - it's not a (excuse the pun) logical DAW system to me.

As far as making a 'kiddie app' - I just got an Axiom A.I.R. Mini 32 and its got an Ignite license - I will be interested to see if Ignite is useful and an alternative to the Garagebands of the world. The Avid/M-Audio dust up is interesting to say the least.

yiswitched

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2007
Los Angeles
Cubase 7 releases on December 5th.
http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/cubase/whats_new.html

I've moved back to Win/Cubase this year after sadly resigning to the fact that Apple's focus is now on consumers/IOS/iMacs rather than on its pro users.

Boy you can say that again! Apple cares about teenaged hipsters who buy iPhone's not the pro users who kept the bloody company alive during the dark years. I've purchased my last apple hardware product unless the new Mac Pro is priced right and stunning. I have no intention of loosing all my software I've shelled out thousands for, I'll build my own and apple can kiss my $#%!

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Is it bad that as a video editor I kinda want to see the audio guys get screwed with a ****** program like we did with FCP X?

Only a little bit but it's still there.

how are you screwed? if you don't like it then don't upgrade. When it comes time for you to actually upgrade, jump platforms.

TheRdungeon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2011
Man I must say I love this new Apple, Tim Cook is a boss when it comes to keeping Pros informed

salacious

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2011
i heard that they were integrating garageband? i saw the video aswell from the developers which had the intergrated logic x?

that was last year though, i stopped caring after about a week...

olufsen69

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2005
Pacific NorthWest
Logic X will probably be a slightly enhanced version of Garageband targeted toward prosumers and sold on the App Store for $39.99.

I will not pay over $1.99 for it. iOS apps have conditioned me that cheaper is better, maybe I should drop the $1.99 down to .99 Yes that is much easier on the eyes.:D

Craigy

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2003
New Zealand
I think it's disgusting that people jump straight to emailing Tim Cook to demand an answer to various questions, but maybe it's the fault of Apple's support system? Maybe it's not clear who should be contacted to get such an answer? Glad to see that the message gets passed along to an appropriate department, and not just ignored.

Wouldn't need to contact anyone if Apple published a road map for their pro software products as many other companies do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.