Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Liquid lunch, yesterday, at the Old Friends pub in Ulverston: a pint of Dizzy Blonde and a log fire. Bliss...

blondeu.jpg

BarryJ

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2007
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
Birch

Liquid lunch, yesterday, at the Old Friends pub in Ulverston: a pint of Dizzy Blonde and a log fire. Bliss...

blondeu.jpg

Have a look to the right of the glass and into the fire. Looks like a silhouette to me ? Anyone else ? Nice DOF, nice looking pint.

Mine.... wandering the back forty on a rainy winter day and came across this birch leaf.

bjm1217.jpg

Last edited:

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
Quebec City

k54166.jpg

I particularly like the fence how it curves gently up the slope. It sort of reminds me of looking at one side of the great wall of China.

I'm still trying to work out whether the woman in the foreground is using a flip-out video or still camera of some sort, or whether she's just a highly animated type!

Thanks for the comment, yeah I see what you mean about similarities with the great wall, and it was either a selfie or she was shooting the light :p

...and you didn't drop-in to say "hi". :(

This is an excellent and very interesting shot TheReef. The minimalist in me would love to see a version with a tight crop on the ferris wheel.

Thanks, I do have a tighter version with different composition and more emphasis on the ferris wheel that I'll post soon.
I was actually in Toronto briefly, catching a flight out of Billy Bishop airport on the island, so you would've been near by! Nice city. :)

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010

One of my older photos from a 'while back' when these fancy new B737s with this funny mood-lighting inside were all the rage and a big deal. This was shot at about 6:00am in the morning, in the freezing cold.

1/4sec, F/9.0, ISO3200.

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
Thoughts and comments always welcome...

20121121-IMG_0550.jpg

IMO, I would try a touch less shadow to bring out this guy's left eye a bit...but very nice shot Puckman1.

Mine for today...

OK, I know this shot has absolutely no redeeming artistic or creative value but I was going through some of my photos of Sydney, Australia from two years ago and I starting wondering...what's more disturbing: The thought that someone might have been checking me out while I'm on the loo or that I actually pulled out my camera and snapped off a shot in a public washroom. :eek:

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2008
On Saturday I took photos of a local high school play dress rehearsal for them to use in the display cases and a photo DVD to sell as a fund raiser. Most of the photos were taken during the show itself, but I also took a few posed shots afterwards that I think are worth sharing.

Attachments

• 12 Dancing Princesses-779-XL.jpg
    12 Dancing Princesses-779-XL.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 151

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Have a look to the right of the glass and into the fire. Looks like a silhouette to me ? Anyone else ? Nice DOF, nice looking pint.

I didn't notice that! I just saw the flames in the glass...

Thoughts and comments always welcome...

20121121-IMG_0550.jpg

It doesn't quite work for me. I go from one eye to the other, across that broad expense of forehead; after a few seconds the pic no longer 'reads' like a horse at all. Maybe it's just me...

Beautifully lit... with all the cold colours on the left, and the warm colours on the facades to the right...

Blackwell again... The fireplace and alcove attached to the main hall...

fireln.jpg

Last edited:

Puckman1

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2012
I love all of those Blackwell shots, doylem. The soft/warm lighting manages to convey exactly the right mood for that kind of location, in my mind.

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
Trying out the ND8 filter in midday sunshine at the beach. I added a masked gradient overlay to the sky to exaggerate the blue there. The white edges to the pylons is a result of my crappy painting to reveal them after applying the gradient mask.

I'm really looking forward to getting back to this spot at sunset for some really long shutter speeds! :)

IMG_7290.jpg

1badhabit

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2010
Long time viewer, first time poster. The wife and I working on our creative Christmas Cards this year.

Happy Holidays by njharrod, on Flickr

D800, 70-200; SB-910 in 36" Lastolite Octa, Rembrandt inspired

Last edited:

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
^^^Your photo isn't showing for me.

Quebec City

k54166.jpg

Great sense of depth in this one.

Blackwell again... The fireplace and alcove attached to the main hall...

fireln.jpg

I really like the hint of extra color you get from the cooler temperature of the outdoor light hitting the edges of the windows. Those blue hues really set off the warm ones. It would be nice to see even more of it instead of the small slice in the corner by itself, but perhaps that's not possible.

Trying out the ND8 filter in midday sunshine at the beach. I added a masked gradient overlay to the sky to exaggerate the blue there. The white edges to the pylons is a result of my crappy painting to reveal them after applying the gradient mask.

I'm really looking forward to getting back to this spot at sunset for some really long shutter speeds! :)

IMG_7290.jpg

This kind of scene can work beautifully with long exposures, so I too look forward to you getting back there at sunset. ;) Just a tip about masking something like this. If you're using Photoshop, making a copy of the blue channel would give you a near-perfect mask quite easily here. After you make the copy, adjust it with the "Threshold" option or maybe "Curves" to get a perfectly clean separation between black and white. Then maybe add a tiny bit of blur to soften the edges...voilà...excellent "found mask." :)

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
This kind of scene can work beautifully with long exposures, so I too look forward to you getting back there at sunset. ;) Just a tip about masking something like this. If you're using Photoshop, making a copy of the blue channel would give you a near-perfect mask quite easily here. After you make the copy, adjust it with the "Threshold" option or maybe "Curves" to get a perfectly clean separation between black and white. Then maybe add a tiny bit of blur to soften the edges...voilà...excellent "found mask." :)

Phrasikleia, thank you for the tip. Very generous of you! Another of your sage advices I'll copy and keep for future reference. :)

I've just got my hands on a few photoshop tutorials, the first of which deals exclusively with tonal adjustments in pp.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I spent the last few days putting the finishing touches on a complete revamp of my website. Now that it's done and out of the way, I can get back to the important business of sharing photos here on MR! ;) (By the way, I'll be publishing short articles on photography on the website in the future, so be sure to bookmark my Articles page if you want to read them.)

Mine for today is one I shot during my trip to South Tyrol last month...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.