Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rican

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2008
Party in the USA
They haven't met me.

They just offered me a temporary position. It's with a well known company, but they haven't even met or spoke with me. Is this normal? :confused: :mad:

rican

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2008
Party in the USA
Was this by chance in the 'Spam' folder?

Was not, and the person who sent the email gave me the office #, her cell #, and I verified the office and that she works there...

I responded with "Please e-mail more details."

So we'll see if she responds or not.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I've gotten offers that sound similar and they're all bogus. Sight unseen, no one hires without having some info on you. Did you fill out an application and give your SSN?

rican

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2008
Party in the USA
I've gotten offers that sound similar and they're all bogus. Sight unseen, no one hires without having some info on you. Did you fill out an application and give your SSN?

Now Jessica, I am not foolish.

I did send my resume. I am highly qualified but I couldn't imagine being hired just like that without meeting or speaking to anyone...

*UPDATE - I am still awaiting her response.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
^ sounds weird but you're the line who will know based on the response you get. And it is "just hired for a job" or "a company just hired me." I don't think a job technically hires you. ;)

rican

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2008
Party in the USA
^ sounds weird but you're the line who will know based on the response you get. And it is "just hired for a job" or "a company just hired me." I don't think a job technically hires you. ;)

You're really after me :p. Ok, well out of my speed to type this I may have made a grammatical error. :cool:

Heheh. Yeah, I will await the response and see what comes out of it. If nothing, no sweat off my back.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Did you think to ask them how they heard of you? Or why they're offering you a job seemingly out of thin air?

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
It's for a temporary position. Is it a highly skilled temporary position? Is it customer facing? Is it seasonal? Without knowing the job they might not need to see you before. Maybe you just got hired to wear a sign on the street. If so I'm pretty sure most people can handle that without getting an in person interview.

We probably need to know more before we can say it's normal or not.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
It depends on the industry....in many occupations, headhunting and word of mouth recommendations are the norm...as posted, we would need more details about the actual job in question. Almost all of my work is repeat client, or word of mouth based. Emails from interested parties I've never met and never spoken to are commonplace.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Given what we know about you, I wonder if that's true...

What do "we" know about me exactly?
I'd be somewhat surprised if you actually had a real response to my question as your statement seems random and misguided at best. ;)

__
Edit: that's what I thought. ;)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.